On the hunt for a new acoustic.

trill

• Members

Hey guys. I'm shopping for a new acoustic, and I've been kinda out of the gear loop for a while, so I was hoping you could help me figure out what my options are. Here's what I'm looking for:

All solid wood (or as much as possible in my price range, which is $600-$1200)

Ebony fretboard.

Smaller OM or OOO body, or a parlor-size, as long as it's regular scale-length.

No electronics, unless it's a simple magnetic soundhole pickup.

No cutaway necessary.

Flat fretboard, or close to it (something like Larrivee's compound radius would be fine).

Case included.

It sounds like I want a classical, doesn't it? Ha! But yeah, steel string only, please. I'd prefer a new guitar, as acoustics are a bit more fragile than electrics, but if anyone has a line on a reputable online store to buy used from, that'd be cool too. So far, the only guitar I've found that really fits my specs is the Larrivee OM series.

Also if anyone knows of any super-affordable, quality archtop acoustics that fit my specs, I'd be interested in those, too.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't think it has an ebony board, but I'm not sure. But I played a Blueridge BR-163. Which is the body your describing with Spruce top and Rosewood back and sides.

This is the one that I played. It was wonderful.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blueridge-BR143-Historic-Series-000-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515093

Here's the upgraded model and it DOES have the Ebony board. I'm very happy with My BR-40 even though it's one of the cheaper ones. It's a very quality instrument.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blueridge-BR243-Historic-Series-000-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515096

• Members

Epiphone DR-500R !! i bought mine for around $500. (although most stores will sell it @ $650)

however, it doesnt have an ebony fretboard. personally i wouldnt get hung up on the fretboard, b/c it doesnt make a huge difference.

if you do want an ebony fretboard, try the Taylor 110. Personally i don't think it sounds nearly as good as the epi, but its still a great guitar.

• Members

it doesnt have an ebony fretboard. personally i wouldnt get hung up on the fretboard, b/c it doesnt make a huge difference.

I'm pretty picky about the necks on my guitars. The hardness of the ebony makes hammer-ons and pull-offs a lot more articulate, in my experience.

That Blueridge looks pretty solid; the pickguard is ugly as sin, though. I'll probably end up with the Larrivee, since they're the same price.

Anyone else?

• Members

Sounds like you would love a Larrivee OM-03 (solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back, solid maple bindings, ebony bridge and ebony fretboard) or an OM-03R (same as the OM-03 but with solid rosewood sides and back). I own an OM-03R. It's the best guitar I ever owned.

Contact Jason at Notable Guitars for his latest Larrivee price list. He has some of the best prices around. His price includes a set up (to your specs), a Larrivee hard case and shipping.

http://www.notableguitars.com/

• Members
Sounds like you would love a Larrivee OM-03 (solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back, solid maple bindings, ebony bridge and ebony fretboard) or an OM-03R (same as the OM-03 but with solid rosewood sides and back). I own an OM-03R. Best guitar I every owned.

Contact Jason at Notable Guitars for his latest Larrivee price list. He has some of the best prices around. His price includes a set up (to your specs), a Larrivee hard case and shipping.

http://www.notableguitars.com/

Did I hear Larrivee OM-03?
I' second that!
100_0856.jpg

• Members

I don't see prices for an OM-03R, but I seem to recall it's about 800 at notable.

Your best bet, of course, is to try to play the Walden and the Larrivee and choose what sounds best to you. That said, IF I were buying sight unseen and IF the prices were comparable, THEN I would probably go for the Larrivee. It has a stronger reputation here than the Walden. On the other hand, you might be able to get a better price on the Walden. Here's one on ebay for 629, free shipping. For me, a savings of 150+ would lean me to the Walden, but everybody's ears and budgets are different.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a Walden owner (G2070) and have never had the pleasure of playing a Larrivee. I'm also a relative beginner (figure about 2 years of playing.)

• Members

if you do want an ebony fretboard, try the Taylor 110. Personally i don't think it sounds nearly as good as the epi, but its still a great guitar.

The Taylor 110 is a dread and has laminated back & sides and does not meet his requirements. Look at the GA3 (formerly known as the 314) instead; this is the most affordable of Taylor's all-solid wood lines. IIRC the grand auditorium body is slightly larger than a 000/OM size but still smaller than a dread. I believe that the grand concert (GC) may be slightly smaller than an OM (and more along the lines of a 00-size.)

I've been asking similar questions and have heard good things about the Guild GAD-30 and GAD-30R. You may want to check them out, too.

As for Martin, I believe that the 000-16GT may fall somewhere in your price range, if not slightly above. If you like the tone, the all-mahogany or all-sapele 000-15 may float your boat. IIRC there's also a special edition spruce top 15 series being offered on MF, but I'm not sure whether it's just being offered as a dread.

BTW - I also own a OM-03R and looked at Taylors, Martins, Alvarez Artist and Takamine guitars before being turned on to Larrivee. I've tried various models and fell in love with this particular model. The L-03 came in as a close second though. After a bone saddle upgrade and a year and a half I feel as if its voice fits well with my technique for certain songs. OTOH, I'm also looking to find another OM/000 with a different voice to compliment it and I'm looking at the Epi EF-500M based on features and a related experience with an EF-500R.

Archived