Help ID this Yamaha Git

outdoorgb

• Members

UPDATE:

went to see guitar. I hope the person is not a member here but OMG - what a tool!

Being "well set up means you could park a truck under it with the wheels removed".

New strings mean "they are only 15 years old and compared to my other POS they are new".

I stopped and got a tetnus shot and now I feel better...

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/520112778.html

I am interested in going to see this git. Looking for a beater that might play ok. I did email the seller and they replied "could not find model number"

Any thoughts on this?

• Members

Shape is similar to my FG-150 but the headstock logo is unknown. It looks like it has a yellow label - that should have a model number on it. The main thing to be aware of with old Yamies is that it is almost impossible to reset the necks and many are starting to show their age. For me that could be the make or break on the deal. Otherwise they are marvelous old gits.

• Members

LMAO. I'm rolling over your description of the go-look-see. Geez...what some folks will say to try and sell a git. Tetanus shot probably not a bad idea. :freak:

The Yammie in the pic doesn't look too bad for $100, especially if it's a fairly recent git that won't have neck problems. If you go look, take a sawed-off yardstick and check the neck angle. Setups can be tweaked, but a bad neck is just a bad neck.

Lotsa Luck!

• Members

that headstock inlay looked familiar so I checked my catalogs...in the 2003 catalog it`s listed under what they called regular models as the FS-423S...it`s the only model in natural...they came in 4 other colors. Solid top and retailed for 30,ooo yen ...minus the standard 20% off...24,ooo...at todays rate thats about $210.50 new...in 2003 the rate was about the same...might have been around 120 but it flucuates...at 120 it would have been $200.oo...so you decide whether the guitar is worth his asking price. I see them go for less in Japan. They also came in the larger FG size models for slightly more money. My guess is made in Taiwan or Indonesia and by no means high end...or middle of the pack, they are their entry level models but if you`re looking for a beater, just might be what the doctor ordered. Not sure if they were making the same modles 20 years ago or more, but the ones from the last couple of years have a smaller leafy thing on the headstock...more like a two leafed bean sprout type inlay.

keep us posted.

• Members

I updated the first post but here is a summary:

It is a FS-310

I believe it's about 15+ years old and not totally abused.

The neck is not in the best shape and the set up is high near the aft end.

The "new strings" required a tetnus shot on the way home...

I took my Korg tuner and could not get it to tune (not sure why but guessed it was the "new strings")

The top had that "just removed stickers" look to it.

I left within 2 minutes of seeing it.

• Members

I updated the first post but here is a summary:

It is a FS-310

I believe it's about 15+ years old and not totally abused.

The neck is not in the best shape and the set up is high near the aft end.

The "new strings" required a tetnus shot on the way home...

I took my Korg tuner and could not get it to tune (not sure why but guessed it was the "new strings")

The top had that "just removed stickers" look to it.

I left within 2 minutes of seeing it.

Yammie's archive shows the FS310 being built from '85 to '88.

Maybe those strings ARE the new strings that were on it when the guitar was built.

• Members

After hearing your synopsis on the deal, you made the right choice for you. Better off to wait for a better deal esp. if you see initial problems right off the bat.

If it were me I would bring that yammie back to life somehow but thats just me, I find misfit guitars fix em up and resell em for a little bit more provided there were no serious cracks in the top or holes where they shouldn't be. This way I can develop some luthier skillz till I can eventually open my own guitar shop! ;)

• Members

forgot to check the archives...so I now know these have been made for a longer time than I imagined.

I like finding old Yamaga Dynamics for the same reason...to breathe new life into guitars some folks have long forgotten about in a closet...no attics ar basements here eh. I think I enjoy the cleaned and resuscitating as much as I like the playing afterwards. Body cracks don`t scare me as much as they used to either...have a few with em and after using some Lepages glue on them , they sound just great to me...they aren`t gonna win any beauty contests but then again, I like to play em not display em.

Got the one on the right below this week for 100 yen...thats .88 cents US and not a typo. It`s an early 60s No. 150 classical, my third, all solid wood listed as having Palisander back and sides...no cracks in this one though, but the seller said it had binding that came off...I thought he meant it was missing but it had just come unglued...for about 2 inches right where it rests on my leg when playing...so I just glued it back and it`s fine...think his discription scared everybody off as I was the only bidder... they go for more usually...so I got another fine old all solid wood Yamaha for less than a dollar. None of my old Dynamics or classicals have neck problems whatsoever...the Dynamic necks are very chunky...so at this time I have no worries about that at all.

Anyway...heres my latest No. 150 on the right...the one on the left was a Christmas gift from my wife...

christmas2007061.jpg

christmas2007058.jpg

Archived