buying used - offer full price or haggle?

Berkleo

• Members

When buying a used 4 year old git in excellent/pristine condition from a local ma & ma shop you really like do you offer full price or haggle?

My local shop has a 2004 Breedlove SJ-20 in like new condition on consignment. It's been there maybe six months and was recently marked down from $2250 to $1995. The Guitar Blue Book puts it's last MSR at $2599. If retail is normally about 75% then my best guess is that it should have sold new for around $1949.

I love this guitar. And I love my local shop and want to support them. The owner is great and the employees are all great guys. But I'm a schmuck about this stuff. Any suggestions?

• Members

I would say about half of the MSRP with maybe a bonus for the condition. $1500.00 tops for me. Others may feel differently.

Thing is, it's a consignment. That means the owner has a particular minimum they require and the shop needs some profit for carrying it so that's the real determining factor here.

You might see if your local library has, or can get, a guitar blue book and check the valuation there.

• Members

Blue Book 9th edition says:
SJ-20, discontinued 2004.
100% - $2079
excellent - $1300-1450
average - $650 -775
last MSR - $2599

IMO it's like new, but it's still a 4 year old used guitar. I don't need to make the deal of the century I just want to make a fair offer :freak:...

• Members

If in fact you can get a new one (with warranty) for what this one is marked I wouldn't hesitate to point that out. And maybe point out that is why it has been there for 6 months (lets see, $1995 at 5% for 6 months....) The big difference here is that the shop is going to get a percentage of the sale price, but they do not have any money wrapped up in this. Normally their markup should cover inventory, sales staff, setup and support - however all they are doing with consignment is presenting it to a larger buying audience.

I would ask the owner's lowest price (they will know) and decide if that is acceptable.

The only time I would haggle on a used guitar is if I saw "issues" that would significantly alter the value - for example if I felt it needed a repair and I knew what it would cost "I really like your guitar but it needs a neck reset. That would cost me $300 minimum, how about you knock off 200?"

• Members

Blue Book 9th edition says:

SJ-20, discontinued 2004.

100% - $2079

excellent - $1300-1450

average - $650 -775

last MSR - $2599

IMO it's like new, but it's still a 4 year old used guitar. I don't need to make the deal of the century I just want to make a fair offer
:freak:

IMO, the only 100% guitar is one that is new, never been sold, and does not exhibit any use from demos and comes with a full factory warranty.

With that in mind, you could consider it excellent and my $1500.00 ain't all that bad.

• Members

I'll always try to dicker when purchasing any musical instrument. My last dickering was when I got my parlor. It was tagged $410, and the guy told be he could let it go for $210. He already had told me his bottom, and he couldn't go any lower... but I got him to give me a set of strings and a pick. I figure that was worth $5.

It doesn't hurt to try.

Scott O

• Members

If in fact you can get a new one (with warranty) for what this one is marked I wouldn't hesitate to point that out. And maybe point out that is why it has been there for 6 months (lets see, $1995 at 5% for 6 months....) The big difference here is that the shop is going to get a percentage of the sale price, but they do not have any money wrapped up in this. Normally their markup should cover inventory, sales staff, setup and support - however all they are doing with consignment is presenting it to a larger buying audience.

I would ask the owner's lowest price (they will know) and decide if that is acceptable.

The only time I would haggle on a used guitar is if I saw "issues" that would significantly alter the value - for example if I felt it needed a repair and I knew what it would cost "I really like your guitar but it needs a neck reset. That would cost me $300 minimum, how about you knock off 200?"

Ah but I can't get a new one(specifically) as it's been discontinued. And it's my guess that the reason it's been there all this time is partially the crappy economy and partially the fact that there are a lot of really nice instruments in this shop competing with it. But I do take your point. No warranty. Depreciation. And I think I will call and ask the owner's loewst price. It'll be a few weeks (months?) but perhaps I'll have a NGD post eventually. Did I mention I really love this guitar?

• Members

I haggle on just about anything of value. I enjoy the give and take and I think most sellers do as well. It doesn't have to be a battle.

Be polite. Do your research before going in. This involves knowing about the instrument, the market and judging the instruments condition and sound quality.

Most important is knowing what your budget is and what the guitar is worth to "you", and based on that, setting a maximum price you are willing to pay. This helps take some of the emotion out of it.

Remember, there is always wiggle room built into the asking price. Your job is to find out what the lower limit is.

If you can't work the deal, be ready to walk away. You can always casually drop in a week or so down the road. If the guitar is still there, you can pick up where you left off.

By all means don't, I repeat, don't argue the sellers point for him:

Did I mention I really love this guitar?

I know easier said than done but try....................

Good luck. Enjoy the haggle.

Clif

• Members

I haggle on just about anything of value. I enjoy the give and take and I think most sellers do as well. It doesn't have to be a battle.

Be polite. Do your research before going in. This involves knowing about the instrument, the market and judging the instruments condition and sound quality.

Most important is knowing what your budget is and what the guitar is worth to "you", and based on that, setting a maximum price you are willing to pay. This helps take some of the emotion out of it.

Remember, there is always wiggle room built into the asking price. Your job is to find out what the lower limit is.

If you can't work the deal, be ready to walk away. You can always casually drop in a week or so down the road. If the guitar is still there, you can pick up where you left off.

By all means don't, I repeat, don't argue the sellers point for him:

You will cave quicker if you do this.

Another major DON'T. Don't let your emotions be a factor in the negotiation

I know easier said than done but try....................

Good luck. Enjoy the haggle.

Clif

All good advice. Thanks.

Archived