To cutaway or not to cutaway: that is the poll.

Stackabones

• Members
Symmetry is bliss. Asymmetry is chaos. :poke:

That compensated saddle must drive you nuts. No symmetry no matter which way you slice it. ;)

Seriously, tho...

I've got a cut and non-cut. Aesthetically, I prefer a cutaway. Practically, I don't need it. Wallet says non-cut.

Since we can't vote both, I'll say non-cut.

-A

• Members

I keep meaning to buy a cutaway flat-top (Venetian, preferably, although the Selmer/Taylor style is fine, too...don't care for a pointy Florentine, aesthetically), as I play up the neck a lot, but for the last 40 years, I've just moved my hand around to the front of the guitar and gotten to the higher frets that way.

As for electronics, I have passive USTs in all my guitars, plugged into a PADI. My other instrumants mostly have SBTs under the bridge area.

Count me as a "one-of-these-days" cutaway fan. :)

• Members

Hi Chuck,

This has been an interesting guitar. I got GAS for a classical after I played a friend's Takamine SC132SC. Then I decided a 1 7/8' neck would be important to me.

Well, after playing some nicer classicals like Ramirez, Rodriguez, and Cordoba in the $500 to $1200 range and some other cheapies, I decided the Breedlove AN250CR was pretty nice. I have not yet compared it back to back with other nylon string guitars for volume, but I couldn't detect a significant difference from memory. Unplugged, it is loud enough for me for now. That may change if I find a louder classical!

More important to me is the responsiveness to touch and intonation. I could not get the others to tune up very well; they were always a little off key. This Breedlove tunes up nicely and intonates well over the board.

I'm looking forward to a trip to the Podium in Minneapolis.:)

• Members

for me it depends on what the basic body shape is... and what i'm using the guitar for... on a smaller bodied, folk-style guitar, i prefer a cutaway since i'm often playing the upper registers, soloing, etc... my dreadnought is a non-cutaway, and i prefer it that way, since i use it for rhythm parts... plugged in, i find there's really no difference in tone b/w the cutaway and non-cutaway... so my acous/elec models have a cutaway.

• Members

Nice curve on the cutaway don't you think?

Er...no. Can't say I agree. Looks like you leaned it against a space heater and it began to melt.

But: to each his/her own!

BTW: I have 6 acoustics. Two are cutaways (an Applause and a Tak). I've discovered that I just don't need the cut for my playing style, and that I really like the symmetry of an uncut guitar.

Also: In aesthetic terms, I think dreads are more cuttable than, for instance, jumbos. Cut dreads CAN look cool; cut jumbos always look awkward and strange.

• Members
I'm liking my first cutaway. I don't go up to fret 19, but its very comfortable at 12, or barring at 12 and reaching a pinky out to 14 or 15 for an Em voicing.

Nice curve on the cutaway don't you think?

DSC00468.jpg

Love it. Cutaway reminds me of the Selmer's.

I also dig those fret markers. Tastefully done imo.

:love:

• Members

Up or down vote uh? OK, I'll go with no-cutaway though I really don't care. If a guitar sounds lovely and feels good in my hands, I can forgo aesthetics pretty much. Freeman mentioned he didn't like how the neck heel and body came together on cutaway: If off the rack guitar builders could find a way to build compound cutaways economically.

Trina

• Members

I think I've told this story before, but:

I walked into my local store, cash in hand, intent on leaving with a spruce over rosewood, no cut, non-electric. I certainly didn't want a "barndoor" in the side. After I played this, I had to go home and think about it for a couple of weeks. When I went back, I played everything comparable in the store and this is the one that spoke to me:

LV-05EBody800X600.jpg

Well, it does have a spruce top...

Hog B&S w/ Venetian cut and baggs Imix (Ibeam and element) pickups and on-board preamp.

Play 'em all, get the one that you love.

Markus

Archived