Autumn Leaves -- The Art of Sparse Arranging

Stackabones

• Members

Very nice.

But I happen to like mine a little more complex...Here's one...and maybe the best ever.

Yeah, that is a Guild.

I saw that one while I was searching through youtube for AL (I was checking out keys for the male singers, but just happened to stumble across some cool female singers).

• Members

You know, I got so carried away with the song, I forgot about the reason for the post....sorry..

I have to continually remind myself that a song is not a battle to see how many notes you can kill in 3 minutes....Your example is the absolute best way of proving that point.

• Members

You know, I got so carried away with the song, I forgot about the reason for the post....sorry..

I have to continually remind myself that a song is not a battle to see how many notes you can kill in 3 minutes....Your example is the absolute best way of proving that point.

Oh, yeah, right ... Eva's shredding through her arrangement. ;)

Her approach is very tasteful and it actually includes the chords! I think it's another good example of how great songs can work with many different arranging styles. When I think of the song, I think of the empty branches though some may think of piles of leaves.

The original lyrics in French have a different feel and bring up different imagery ... and maybe different approaches to arranging.

Just thinking out loud here ... I wonder how lyrics can influence arrangments? I guess you could do a happy-go-lucky upbeat version of Autumn Leaves, especially if the lyrics weren't sung. :idk:

• Members

I like it. A beautiful rendition of the song. :thu:

Variety in is always good. I don't want all musicians to try for amazing, complex FEATS of musical prowess. A minimalist approach is refreshing and welcome now and then.

Vive la diff

• Members

The guitar part doesn't get much simpler & it's a reminder for me that less is more. Of course, it helps to have a voice like hers.
;)

nice! she has a great voice and i like the single guitar note guide tones. i also really enjoyed her ad lib vocal part.

• Members

Very nice.

But I happen to like mine a little more complex...Here's one...and maybe the best ever.

Yeah, that is a Guild.

absolutely a fine version! I have loved Eva's version since the moment i first heard it and expect i always will consider it one of the very best recorded performances of the piece. It is somber and contemplative and the way she plays with the melody a bit is unique. All that and some very nice guitar work to boot!

• Members

Thanks for posting that clip. I only have slow dial-up so it takes just about forever to check video out, but that was worth the wait; especially once she gets into the second half of the song. A nice simple intimate performance.

• Members

The guitar part doesn't get much simpler & it's a reminder for me that less is more. Of course, it helps to have a voice like hers.
;)

Great find. The funny thought I had from her video is that she covers this as a Nat King Cole song, and that her equipment recording quality is not super good; the result sounds like an older vinyl record from Nat's time....

She has a great basic voice; I hope that as a young woman she can get into voice lessons and develop her natural gift; it is also good to see young people understanding some of the wonderful music of the past.

The Eva Cassidy video is incredible. What I call "smokey bar room music" is my favorite.

Arizona Ken

Archived