What made you decide that acoustic guitar was the instrument for you?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I thought this would be an interesting discussion. Here's my story:

The Beatles were the ones that were the first to get me really interested in music, and inspired me to make music. When deciding what instrument to take up, I had three criteria, that I liked the sound, I could play many different types of music on it, and not a wind or brass instrument (I was forced to take band in elementary school and had to play trumpet, and that made me light headed). The final three instruments were guitar, paino/keyboard, and violin. I choose guitar because it was more portable than a piano, could play more types of music that violin, and liked its sound the most. That and George Harrison was and still is one of my favorite musicians, and he plays guitar.

My first guitar was an old Harmony acoustic my parents had. I didn't know it at the time, but that thing was unplayable. My mom asked me if I wanted and electric guitar. I told her yes, but to wait to see if I progressed any with the acoustic so that way if I quit the electric wouldn't have been money down the tubes. I'm glad she didn't listen to me, as I now realize I would have never learned on that Harmony. The next Christmas I got a Ibanez electric starter pack. It was much more playable than that Harmony. However, only being able to compare to that Harmony, I incorrectly assumed that the difference in playability was the same between all acoustics and electrics, which helps explain why it took me so long to realize that acoustic was for me.

I started taking lessons at Kirkwood Community College, and had a good teacher. At that time I was interested most in classic rock, was obsessed with playing fast, and got into listening to some shredders like Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen. During that time I got an acoustic, an Alvarez AD60K, which is currently my favorite guitar. However, when I got it I really didn't know how to play much (I didn't even consider myself a guitarist yet), and I didn't really realize how good a guitar it really was. It couldn't really speak to me like it does now becuase I couldn't really play it.

Also during that time I had a lucky find. In my grandmother's garage I found a Gibson ES-335, which I eventually figured out was from 1967. It was even easier to play than my Ibanez. I cut pretty much all of my earliest chops on that guitar. I also acquired a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, figuring I needed a good amp to go with a good guitar.

Right before I left Kirkwood I acquired a Fender HH tele, to satisfy my GAS for a good solidbody and because I had become paranoid about something happening to the 335. During this whole time I would strum the Alvarez occasionally, but not much.

I eventually got tired of electrics. I kept practicing and practicing, 3+ hours a day. No matter what I tried, what I practiced, or how much I practiced, I was bored and wasn't getting any better. It almost came to the point where I was ready to give up guitar. One day, frustrated that I couldn't pick pentatonic scales in 16th notes, something I had been able to do for some time at that point, I looked over at the Alvarez in its case. I felt compelled to pull it out. I put the Fender down and grabbed the Alvarez. I started to fingerpick the intro to Stairway To Heaven. That was it, something just clicked inside, and it just felt right. Since then I've never looked back. I rate that as the most important moment thus far in my guitar playing.

Since then I've been enjoying guitar much more, and have been getting better much faster than I ever was with electric. Even my fiancee says I am happier since I made the switch, and that my progress is faster. Since then I have also got into acoustic guitar music, which I enjoy listening to much more. With the exception of Ritchie Blackmore and George Harrison, there isn't really much electric guitar music I like to listen to anymore.

So what is your story?

• Members

I started out bashing away on punk tunes, moved on to Metal which I still love, but grew tired of playing loud and fast. When I heard Jethro Tull's Songs from the Wood and Minstrel in the Gallery and well as Blackmore's Night, I decided to go acoustic and relearn the fundamentals of playing guitar. In that time, I also got into John Denver and realized I could write songs and then I started singing etc...

I have gone back and forth once or twice, but for me it's the fact that the wood and the strings produce the tone and you don't need an amp that makes the acoustic world more appealing. I feel you get a REAL sound with acoustic that I did not find with electric guitars. And then I learned about the different body sizes, woods, nylon vs. steel strings, etc. It's been a great ride so far. :thu:

• Members

I remember something Ry Cooder said about the acoustic being a bit more honest ... that if you'd had a rough day, it shows up ... or if you had a good day, it shows up. That was part of it ... just the no BS of the strings and the air and your fingers and your imagination and your creativity all hanging around this vibrating box.

I started to get more into acoustics because of slide guitar (Ry Cooder, again). The first acoustic that I really liked was a $50 no-name archtop that I just played bottleneck on. Well, actually the first acoustic I really liked was my Tak gutbox. (Never been big on bridge pin'd gits. ;)) I never read up much about those Brazilian players, but I listened to a ton of music. So I'm also attracted to the gutbox sound.

But I didn't get really serious about acoustic until I started solo gigging. That changed everything and it's all I play now. I think I have an electric gig coming up in June, but that'll be the first one I've done since winter of last year.

That's part of it ... not the whole story. Songwriting is a big part of acoustic for me, too. I don't think I've ever written a song on electric, only acoustic. Hmmm ... never realized that before, but I'm certain it's true. Maybe a few instrumentals or riffs and progressions that someone else put lyrics on, but never a song with music and lyrics -- only acoustic! Yep.

• Members

I remember something Ry Cooder said about the acoustic being a bit more honest ... that if you'd had a rough day, it shows up ... or if you had a good day, it shows up. That was part of it ... just the no BS of the strings and the air and your fingers and your imagination and your creativity all hanging around this vibrating box.

I started to get more into acoustics because of slide guitar (Ry Cooder, again). The first acoustic that I really liked was a $50 no-name archtop that I just played bottleneck on. Well, actually the first acoustic I really liked was my Tak gutbox. (Never been big on bridge pin'd gits.
;)
) I never read up much about those Brazilian players, but I listened to a ton of music. So I'm also attracted to the gutbox sound.

But I didn't get really serious about acoustic until I started solo gigging. That changed everything and it's all I play now. I think I have an electric gig coming up in June, but that'll be the first one I've done since winter of last year.

That's part of it ... not the whole story. Songwriting is a big part of acoustic for me, too. I don't think I've ever written a song on electric, only acoustic. Hmmm ... never realized that before, but I'm certain it's true. Maybe a few instrumentals or riffs and progressions that someone else put lyrics on, but never a song with music and lyrics -- only acoustic! Yep

That's a huge part of it for me too. :thu:

• Members

I feel you get a REAL sound with acoustic that I did not find with electric guitars.

That is a big part of it for me too. I forgot to mention that in my long post though. Whenever I try to play an electric now it just doesn't feel like true guitar.

Awesome quote.

• Members

Songwriting is a big part of acoustic for me, too. I don't think I've ever written a song on electric, only acoustic. Hmmm ... never realized that before, but I'm certain it's true. Maybe a few instrumentals or riffs and progressions that someone else put lyrics on, but never a song with music and lyrics -- only acoustic! Yep.

Yeah, I started a thread here once about who played strictly acoustic and why and someone mentioned that they had started playing acoustic and their wife said something to the effect of "you know, on electric, you really only played riffs and solos, but on the acoustic you play full songs."

I go back and forth too...I haven't played electric in years but it still tempts me. I play a variety of acoustic string instruments actually. I've only got one guitar but I've got three mandolins for example. And a tenor banjo and a uke... I just sold off quite a few instruments.

I am about to take the plunge back into the dark side of electrics, but I'm getting a bass. Bass was my main instrument for about 12 years and I miss it a lot. I don't care for acoustic bass guitars (unless I could find an old Ernie Ball Earthwood bass) becasue they just get drowned out in any kind of jam session unless you are plugged in anyway.

I'll always play guitar, and probably stick to acoustic as far as they are concerned, but I miss bass too much. I'm buying a P-bass copy Tuesday.

Oh-- and I had a minor NGD this week...bought my wife a decent Alvarez classical guitar. We've been working up some guitar/mandolin duets. She's getting good real quick!

• Members

I started to play acoustic guitar in 1974-75 when I was about 12-13 yrs old. At 14 I heard Dylan for the first time and through him I heard about Woody Guthrie, The Carter Family, Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Doc Watson, Pete Seeger and other folksingers and folk songs. I started to play with an older kid when I was 16 we had a little folk duo..he was 18 and we would play this local pub for free beer.

After awhile I got an electric guitar and 50 watt Hi-Watt amp and started to play with rock and blues bands and learned how to play lead guitar having to play song by Aerosmith, SRV, Johhny Winter, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones, Bad Company, Skynard...etc. I did that for about 13 yrs solid...playing every weekend...out of town gigs or whatever. I also did time in a country rock band as the "lead" guitarist with my Tele and Peavey Tube amp. I also fronted a blues band as well.

During all this electric guitar activity I never lost touch with the acoustic guitar that I once loved playing as teenager and would always play at parties or sitting around the kitchen table. When I got divorced at age 40 I decided to sing more and try to be a solo acoustic artist and in the last 3 years that is all I do now. I also occasionally play in an acoustic blues duo with a harmonica player but for the most part I would rather perform alone. In fact I am in the process of selling my two big "gigging" amps and all my electric guitars. I am never going to play in a band again and really cannot haul these heavy amps around anymore..it kills my aching back...

Anyhow..that's kinda my story...

• Members

For me it was my Dad really. He played a great flamenco guitar and we would always enjoy hearing him play. Then he added some folk songs and some Beatles songs and we would sing along. That's why I truly believe that it is so important to play for your kids. They absorb it. I know I did. That's exactly how I think I learned to play by ear.

My dad put me into guitar lessons when I was 7 years old but honestly I wasn't interested then. It wasn't until I was about 13 when I heard Neil Young that I wanted to try and play guitar + I had a friend who played both guitar and banjo and I thought that was cool. He showed me my first chord progression and I practiced it like mad! Never took lessons though and never learned chord names or scales. Don't know a thing about music theory. I just like to play that guitar!

And really I think the way I learned new stuff was jamming with friends growing up. Sort of a learn by experimenting approach.

I still can't play lead guitar worth a darn and I think it's because I don't know scales but it doesn't stop me from trying!

• Members

driving to sydney in the car and my dad put on a beatles album i'd never rlly heard much of them untill then. It was the beatles number 1 album i felll in luv with it i played the same cd for about 3 months till i got some other albums from a friend, slowly an intereset developed in music and many people told me i could sing . i was getting bored so i decided to take up an instrument i wanted something i could sing with so brass and woodwind were out of the question. drums i dropped the idea because wouldnt be able to play full songs. piano/keyboard was anoter thought but i thought all u do is push a key down thats it and then guitar all sorts of thing you could do with it. it's easy to sing to portable and versatile.

another beatles inspiration story.

I recently found an interest in flamenco music first from the queen song "innuendo" and it went from there :)

• Members

My romance with acoustic guitar began back in '73 during a weekend stay at my grandparents house in Newcastle upon Tyne as an eight yr old.

An uncle was home on leave from the army and brought two old school friends (Brian and Bruce) who were also visiting their parents to see my grandfather who'd been a well known local band leader "back in the day" and been their mentor during their youth. Following a lot of hilarity and conversation they went out to their car and returned with three cased guitars. A full blown acoustic jam session developed around my grandmother playing piano while tales of past triumphs, failures and adventures came to light as the music flowed. It was fantastic - mind blowing in fact - and the house sprang to life with everyone having a blast in the mother of jam sessions. My dad's old Hofner guitar (I didn't even know he played) even surfaced from a cubby hole in the attic and it came to light that my grandfather had given all four of them their first chances to play live on stage in front of audiences with his band at a number of venues (Both my grandfather and uncle were first class drummers).

The main focus was the music and a jam session that seemed to go on forever and lasted through the night and into the following day. I was in total aw of the music they played and this ranged from blues to jazz and onto rock and roll. I decided there and then that I had to learn how to play guitar.

I learnt to play my first four chords that weekend on an old '40's Martin D28 loaned by Brian and practised like crazy during the following six weeks or so listening to blues records, building my first callouses and falling in love with guitar music in general. My parents saved for and finally bought me my first guitar (A now semi-retired Yamaha FG165S) after seeing how enthused and focussed I was and the loaner was finally returned to its rightful owner's parents house. He'd apparently returned to his home in southern England.

Nothing more was said of that weekend or my uncle's two friends and the years passed and my playing continued without giving the jam weekend another thought. That was until one day while visiting my grandfather back in the late '80's when news article came up on tv and he asked if I remembered the person who's guitar I'd borrowed for a few weeks.

Having been so young at the time in question all I could recollect was that his first name was Brian, he wore glasses and his friends name was Bruce. After which my grandfather laughingly said "There he is", while pointing at the very same Brian on tv and confirming my uncle's involvement as drummer in their first teenage group during the late '50's. Brian and Bruce had headed off to southern England and made their fortunes with a then newly formed group with a now well known singer. My uncle had headed in a totally different direction and career path, but the group was the Shadows and their singer was Cliff Richard.

Brian was/is Hank Marvin and Bruce was/is Bruce Welch. All I can remember is that I have them to thank for my first introduction to acoustic guitar and for that I'll be forever grateful.

• Members

After 40 years of playing, I still haven't decided that acoustic guitar is the instrument for me. I also haven't decided that electric guitar is the instrument for me. Or Spanish guitar.

I'll stick with just "Guitar is the instrument for me".

• Members

After 40 years of owning a guitar (and knowing three chords), seven months ago I found YouTube and a guy playing "Don't Think Twice'' that appealed to me big time. His tag is "OnaFan'', comes form S. Carolina and he is my mentor. (Sorry don't know how to post it/maybe someone could?) ... I've given myself a year to get him down note-for-note and so far so good ... That's all I ever want, one song done WELL

• Members

I didn't like piano. I didn't want to learn music. I could play songs by learning only a few chords. My first recollection was holding a guitar at 6 years old and singing along with Elvis. I loved to mimic him. Then it was the rest of the Rockers, Folk, Beatles, Steve Goodman, Kottke, Feliciano, Carlos Santana, Al Di Meola, Blues, Jazz, and countless other influences.

The guitar let me experiment with music and express myself. The acoustic guitar doesn't "color" the sound. After all, its "Acoustic." Though I experimented with the electric and early on seemed easier to play, I never got any further than 3' away from an acoustic. I love the way it vibrates against my body (no fat jokes please), the sounds against my ears and the walls that surround me.

Its always been my friend, always there, always the companion, able to reflect how I feel, and brighten my day.

• Members

When I was a little kid, about 6 years old, my mom's boyfriend would bring his git over when he came to visit. I loved to hear Big Bill play and sing and I couldn't keep away from his guitar, loving the sound of the strings when he'd let me strum them.

If us kids didn't make a fuss at bedtime, he would come upstairs and sing us a bedtime song or two after we were tucked in.

One day Big Bill brought a little git to the house that had only four strings on it. (no basses) He showed me a D, A7, and single-string G chord. He then showed me how to read a chord chart and gave me the lyrics to Blowin' in the Wind.

The deal was that when I learned to play and sing the song, I'd get those two bass strings.

A week later, I proudly sang and played Blowin' in the Wind for Mom and Big Bill. Got those two bass strings and there was no turning back.

Mom and Big Bill eventually broke up and I'll never know what happened to him, nor do I remember what happened to the little git he gave me.

But the gift he gave me is priceless. I play other instruments, too, but git is my first love and will always be.

• Members

I can't say that acoustic is the only way, I play electric too. The

reason that I play much more acoustic is that's what my teacher teaches.

I was very fortunate to find a good one and she teaches singing too. I

decided that her style (lots of chords) would lead me to playing strong

rhythm guitar. I think that this is important to learn first, before you become

an always noodling wanker. Without solid rhythm, how can you possibly

play electric licks in proper time?

I have 12 electrics, but I play my acoustic every day. Paul Stanley once

said something intelligent-

"If it don't sound good on an acoustic, it's a {censored}ty song"

• Members

I sort of changed over by necessity. I used to play electric almost exclusively, and that's where I learned the most about theory and technique (while gigging out). But I had started playing acoustic and listening to acoustic music because I could actually pick out stuff by ear better.

When I went to college, I'd get yelled at in dorms for playing electric (even with the amp volume barely on), so I bought a beater acoustic. This coincided with listening to Barenaked Ladies more, who kind of made me rethink playing the instrument (I also taught myself to sing by listening to 'em). Haven't really looked back since.

I still play electric regularly, but I think I have more "identity" (for lack of a better word) on acoustic.

• Members

yeah, I've been asking myself that a lot lately. I figure I got it all wrong.

LEGOs. I think that's my real calling.

No more sour notes or broken strings.

No more wondering: lemon oil or no lemon oil.

No more "which strings are the best?"

Gone are the thick callouses on my left hand.

"Where's my pick? god, I hope the baby didn't swallow my pick."

Never again will I stab myself with the sharp end of a high E string.

I'll not be sneaking the new guitar case past the wife any more.

I won't worry about a broken fingernail ever again.

I can throw my humidifier away finally and I don't care what the RH% is now.

No more will I have to worry about that blasted truss rod: righty-tighty or lefty-loosey?

I can forget about memorizing lyrics.

No struggling with those crazy add 9 chords.

Stage fright is now a thing of the past.

No more GAS pains.

yep it's gonna be LEGOs for me from here on out.

or maybe rodeo roping...

RopeHd.JPG

• Members

I just recently figured out that I really only need one electric guitar. However with that realization, came the craving for a good acoustic. And as I've come to the forums here, I am GASsing for other acoustics not electrics.

With that being said I am going to be ordering a Guild this coming week, and then will be looking for a jumbo, and then a parlor. Just to fill in those different "needs".

Going back to when I started playing, it all started with an acoustic. Then of course I had to have an electric. But through the years and all of the guitars that I have owned, my acoustics have always hung around the longest between changes in equipment.

Oh well enough of this old mans ramblings. :)

• Members

I started out wanting to be the Beatles, like so many others, but was also a big fan of Pete Seeger and Peter, Paul & Mary. I wanted to be Pete Seeger so much that I also got a dulcimer kit and a banjo. Never got the knack of banjo, and finally realized I didn't listen to banjo music apart from Pete's records, so I gave it up.

I was very high on folk music, which led me to discover acoustic blues (particularly Big Bill Broonzy). And english trad folk (Martin Carthy was a huge influence). In all of these, acoustic guitar fit so beautifully.

Even while I picked up bass and electric guitar and started playing in bands, I kept playing my acoustic--I wrote most songs with it. It's always been my main instrument, and it's nearly always been the central element of my songs.

• Members

I first became interested in playing the acoustic guitar when I saw the documentary about Woodstock the following year after that historic concert. Then James Brown, Chicago, Earth, Wind, & Fire (brass/horn sections), "The Mother Ship", and my daddy's love of Charlie Parker........ I took a li' detour and learned how to play the alto sax. I played the sax through out middle/high school and college. But still there was something special about the acoustic guitar. Saturday's my father my brother and I would go to Halsted (Open Market) Street; former native Miss. TN. Ark. transplant musicians would play folk, blues, and gospel. I was intrigued they could play without having to look down at the guitar. I always wanted to play the acoustic guitar not the electric guitar. I was a big fan of Hendrix's, Curtis Mayfield, B.B. King, Wes Monty, Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, and Grant Green, but the acoustic guitar was, sublime. For 35 five years I would ever so often mention, "I've always wanted to learn how to play acoustic guitar." My late father bought me a guitar and told me put up or shut-up, that was 10 years ago.

Trina

• Members

I can't say that there was any particular epiphany for me. I was 10 when I say the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and started getting interested in music. My sister took me to see my first concert in 1968....Simon and Garfunkel. I was first drawn to Paul's acoustic playing. I got a cheap classic guitar to start learning but my teacher was pulling me in a direction I didn't want to go so being an unfocussed teenager, I quit lessons. Over the years, I bought other guits...always acoustics and was pretty limited to strumming cowboy chords and lamely singing along for my own enjoyment. I think I stayed with acoustic because I don't think I was ever good enough to be in a band so I stuck with being a bedroom "rock star". When I got more serious about my playing about 6 years ago, it was more acoustic oriented songs that drew me in.

• Members

Well, my first instrument was the organ, or at least a 2 keyboard Orcana Chord organ console. It wasn't very portable.

I got an acoustic guitar when the opportunity presented itself. My brother, in need of some cash, sold me his Aria 12 string in 1974, when I had just turned 14. I had wanted to learn for at least 3 years before that, but my parents wouldn't let me due to the fact that Rock n Roll had wreaked havoc in our household with my brother dropping out of school, drugs, etc. So, they weren't keen on the idea. When I was 14, my parents were divorced, and I had an independent source of income (a paper route) so as soon as the opportunity presented itself, I grabbed it. I, too, was mesmerized by the Beatles, and decided that I definitely wanted to do what they were doing.

I played the heck out of that Aria, though my brother would've preferred me give up and give the guitar back to him.

I had a period of time with 'no fixed address.' All I had to my name was a Norman B-30 acoustic, and a bag of clothes. That guitar kept me sane and fed until I got on my feet. In good times, I was always the life of the party (we used to party hearty in a neighbourhood park) because I had the entertainment (which got me lots of free beers, cigarettes, reefer, and, of course, girls).

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

was pretty limited to strumming cowboy chords and lamely singing along for my own enjoyment. I think I stayed with acoustic because I don't think I was ever good enough to be in a band so I stuck with being a bedroom "rock star".

Just want to point out, there's nothing at all wrong with this.

There are thousands of truly timeless songs with no more than three chords.

BTW, Bob Dylan just won a Pulitzer Prize for Special Consideration in Music.

Archived