New Guitar today!

kimona

• Members

Got a new guitar today!

I decided on the Yamaha FG700S. I played a bunch of $200-300 guitars recently, but IMO none could really compare to the Yamaha... it just smelled right.

Funny thing is though, the guitar didn't come with a pick guard, and every photo I've seen of the FG700S shows one, plus descriptions always state "tortoise pick guard". Strange. Do you think I should call Yamaha and see if they'll send me one. I believe they're just peel and stick, aren't they?

Okay, back to the new guitar.

• Members

Congrats on the new Yammie. Are you sure you want to bother getting a pickguard? Some folks (me among them) think that the bare look is really sharp and some even believe that the pickguard dampens the tone somewhat (I am highly skeptical given all the great guitars I have heard that have them.)

Lets see some pics - including some of that FG-375S - what a classic!

• Members

So, go with no pick guard, eh? That could work... because I'm not a heavy strummer anyway. Plus, I'd have a very unique and clean looking FG700S now, wouldn't I? Well... let me give that a think. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I bought the FG375S new about 30 years ago! It was my first acoustic guitar. (I learned playing a $59 Saturn electric... if anyone remembers them). I've lived all over the world, so I keep the Yamaha at my Mom's house up in Canada and only play it when I visit. Not a scratch on it and still in the original as-new case. It looks and smells like the day I bought it, but it sounds sweeter each time I play it. I love that guitar!

I've owned a lot of bang 'around guitars over the years, some that I've really enjoyed playing, but for me nothing really compares to a Yamaha. So now, I finally have a beautiful new one that'll keep me content until I get to be with my first love a few weeks each year.

• Members

So, go with no pick guard, eh? That could work... because I'm not a heavy strummer anyway. Plus, I'd have a very unique and clean looking FG700S now, wouldn't I? Well... let me give that a think. Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I bought the FG375S new about 30 years ago! It was my first acoustic guitar. (I learned playing a $59 Saturn electric... if anyone remembers them). I've lived all over the world, so I keep the Yamaha at my Mom's house up in Canada and only play it when I visit. Not a scratch on it and still in the original as-new case. It looks and smells like the day I bought it, but it sounds sweeter each time I play it. I love that guitar!

I've owned a lot of bang 'around guitars over the years, some that I've really enjoyed playing, but for me nothing really compares to a Yamaha. So now, I finally have a beautiful new one that'll keep me content until I get to be with my first love a few weeks each year.

Wow, a mint FG-375S - that is a treasure. :thu:

FWIW, I have a Parkwood Jumbo that came without a pickguard. I love the clean look. Also, my FG-401 Yammie beater came without a pickguard and although it is not in the same class as these other gits, I do like the clean look on this one as well.

I am a very aggressive strummer, but so help me, I never hit the body of the guitar - both are unmarked where the pickguard would be. Go figure. :idk:

IM000161.jpg' alt='>'>

IM000131.jpg' alt='>'>

Archived