I'm hated by all three groups of snobs!

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I found out the other day that I'm disliked by all three groups of guitar snobs at my college. The metalheads look down on me because I play acoustic. The jazz snobs don't like me because I don't play jazz. And the I drive the classical purists nuts because I play classical on a steel string.

I should note that there are metalheads, jazz players, and classical guitarists here that aren't snobs.

I think it is funny that they don't like me. :lol: Let them waste their energy getting upset because I don't conform to their narrow vision of the way everything should be.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At the risk of sounding vain, I'll say that you're in good company....mine. ;)

I don't play by any rules either and more than one git snob has looked down their nose at me.

I just keep on pickin' and making my own brand of music, knowing that somewhere along the way, they'll choke on their own snot. :D

• Members

Be the
eclectic
snob!

Yeah...because who wants to be a snobby snob?

:D

There are only two types of people in the world ...

There are only three types of people in the world -- those who can count, and those who cannot.

• Members

In music, there is nothing wrong with marching to the beat of your own drum.

Yep. What we have here are narrow minded individuals who have been indoctrinated about what a guitar is supposed to be used for. I really hate faith-based thinking.

• Members

Just keep doing what you love! And some people will love what you do.

I appreciate all (ALL) styles of music. Weather I like them personally or not, has no reflection on the creators ability in what they do. Even those that lack technical knowledge can produce music that touches your soul.

The educated guitarists around you, who are looking down their noses at you, are simply showing how uneducated they really are.

• Members

My approach to all things musical is this best expressed by the words of Duke Ellington:

"If it sounds good, it is good."

You're as likely to hear Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys as you are to hear Black Sabbath on my stereo and I wouldn't have it any other way :thu:

• Members

Dark horse... You be you... Everyone else is taken!

There are only two types of musicians I can't stand: those who are intolerant of other peoples' preferred style; and folk guitarists.

What's wrong with folk guitarists? Hmmmmmmm.....

• Members

There's only two types of people in this world:

(1) Me

(2) Everybody else

That's what friendship is all about, isn't it? I get you, Samilyn. Where music is concerned, I couldn't care less about who plays what as long as they enjoy it and let me do the same. But, do not frickin' ask me to do jazz. That git in the other thread? Used to be mine. Got rid of the evidence in Mississippi.

• Members

Here at Berklee College of Music, there are more types of guitar snobs than you can shake a stick at. But I've found that the more snobby you are, the less that people care about your thoughts on things. Snobby opinions are only cared about by similar snobs. Better to do what you love.

Ellen

• Members

Here at Berklee College of Music, there are more types of guitar snobs than you can shake a stick at. But I've found that the more snobby you are, the less that people care about your thoughts on things. Snobby opinions are only cared about by similar snobs. Better to do what you love.

Ellen

:thu:

• Members

My real first association with snobs came to me when I attended my first opera....wow were they snobs...they didn't even want to acknowledge I existed, less talk to me. If I recall correctly the opera was Puccini's Tosca....

It took a while, but I did get their attention when I yelled out..."Hey, He's hiding in the well!" I thought I was going to be killed.

Snobs to me are:

Simply

Not

On

Believable

Status

I other words....I don't believe or care about a word they say.

• Members

Here's what ya' do:

Start a polka band with only classical guitars and one guy on marimba (or maybe steel drums). Tell everyone it is very big in Europe right now. Worst case, the snobs are confused. Best case, they want to join in and you become the hippest guy on campus. :cool:

• Members

That's what friendship is all about, isn't it? I get you, Samilyn. Where music is concerned, I couldn't care less about who plays what as long as they enjoy it and let me do the same. But, do not frickin' ask me to do jazz. That git in the other thread? Used to be mine. Got rid of the evidence in Mississippi.

I vastly prefer to live and let live.

That used to be your git, eh? Well, I guess Mississippi is as good a place as any to unload it.

Hmmm......jazz. Not my most-played or most-listened-to genre, but to each his/her own. I don't play it simply because I have absolutely no talent for it. Once in a blue moon, I attempt to sing an old standard or two.

Whether or not my singing of those songs is acceptable is probably dependent upon the amount of mind-altering liquid consumed by the listener. :p

• Members

tatus

I other words....I don't believe or care about a word they say.

That's hilarious!! Wish I'd thought of something that good.

My experience with opera snobs:

They were looking at my ready-made evening gown as though I'd just shown up in a flour sack and army boots.

When questioned by one purple-haired old battleaxe, I replied that it was made by Jacques Peenay. (that's "French" for J.C. Penney)

I then gave her old hubby a "come hither" look and turned in such a way as to give him an unobstructed view my young, unsagging, unwrinkled cleavage. :evil:

I subsequently developed the distinct impression the old gal was a bit miffed. Looked like she was going to rip her old man's arm off when she yanked him out of there. :D

• Members

Don't feel bad dude...I lower the property value of most establishments just by my presence...

Oh..and I have been known to play punk, reggae, hard rock, blues and folk...if it has more than 3 chords I become confused :freak:

One time I was at a house party and there where some high-falootin' jazz and classical musicians there. Me and another guy kept that place rocking for hours on just out acoustic guitars. Later on the "educated" musicians came to me later and said..."We could not have done what you just did"

;)

Archived