I'm hated by all three groups of snobs!

DarkHorseJ27

• Members
Don't feel bad dude...I lower the property value of most establishments just by my presence...

Bullsh**, Tracy. I've seen your pics and heard your music. :love:

Oh..and I have been known to play punk, reggae, hard rock, blues and folk...if it has more than 3 chords I become confused
:freak:

One time I was at a house party and there where some high-falootin' jazz and classical musicians there. Me and another guy kept that place rocking for hours on just out acoustic guitars. Later on the "educated" musicians came to me later and said..."We could not have done what you just did
"

;)

That is soooo :cool::cool::cool:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I think you should take up the accordion. As long as people are looking down on you, might as well give them a good reason.
:)

Yeah. Then when their noses just about hit the ceiling and they're off balance, whup out yer banjo, hit a few rolls, and blow them right out of the room. :D

• Members

....My experience with opera snobs:

I then gave her old hubby a "come hither" look and turned in such a way as to give him an unobstructed view my young, unsagging, unwrinkled cleavage.

NOW that's hillarious!!! I nearly swallowed my Pic!

• Members

Amusingly, even within any snob group, you will find hierarchies based on things like the instrument you play, the intra-genre music that you like, or the performers that you admire.

Good point!

On another note, the other day I was guitar shopping, and I had a really nice, long chat with the only jazz player in the shop. He realized how little I knew (he was a very experienced player and I am crap), and took the time to recommend me the guitars, and explain a few things, and we even compared arrangments of nuages. Such a difference from the usual pulloutaguitarandshowoffhowmuchbetterthenyouIam approach.

So snobs are snobs, but occasionally you can find a real nice one:wave:

And yeah, with the looks he gave the rock players around, he was a snob alright;)

• Members

And speaking of good Snobs....How about the Crane's? I think Niles is hillarious....love the episode where the Crane brothers take out Dad for dinner at his favorite "steak" house...priceless.

Is that the one where somebody gets a tie cut off?

• Members

Its so interesting to read these comments. Ive been trying to teach myself guitar for about a year now and i have NO personal influences. That is, i dont know anyone who plays so Im kind of alone in this hobby of mine. That said Im absolutely clueless of all this snobbery and separation between fellow musicians i assumed that like myself, people would encourage individuality.

• Members
Its so interesting to read these comments. Ive been trying to teach myself guitar for about a year now and i have NO personal influences. That is, i dont know anyone who plays so Im kind of alone in this hobby of mine. That said Im absolutely clueless of all this snobbery and separation between fellow musicians i assumed that like myself, people would encourage individuality.

Well yah, snobery finds itself at almost all places musicians congragate. I myself have been very snobbish in the past. When I heard someone that wasnt very good i would think that they were lower than dirt. But that was when I played hard rock. Now that I am almost strictly acoustic my thoughts have changed. Might be from getting older too. ;)

You find snobbery runs rampant at music stores (GC especially), open mics, colleges, high schools, and really any place that two musicians might run into each other.

The only time that I get snobby is when someone that is not very good goes around and brags about how great they are. When I was in high school it was the fad to walk around with an acoustic slung behind you over your shoulder with no gig bag. And this wasn't like 2 or 3 kids, they were everywhere. It was an epidemic.

most people had crappy ibanez's or estabans. They would sit around at lunch time banging out power chords to blink 182 or whatever the hell they listened to. Almost always out of tune.

I hated these kids. They thought that by having a guitar everyone would think that they were actual guitarists. By playing at about 1/2 my skill level I would be able to destroy any of these players. If they were beginner players trying to learn a new instrument I wouldn't have minded, but they were just showing off and it really pissed me off.

So there was a big group of preppy kids, with there abercrombie t shirts playing blink 182. I asked the guy playing if i could check out his guitar. He said sure so i picked it up, tuned it (lol) and then just started shredding.

It was very cool, and I think humbling for the player. I was probably the 3rd best player at that school. But most people had no idea that I played if they hadn't seen one of my shows.

Don't get me wrong I was crazy popular in high school, i just didn't brag. And I think that is the most important thing. Don't brag about your skills because there will always be somebody better.

• Members

Is that the one where somebody gets a tie cut off?

It was episode 3 in season1....called dinner at 8.

The funnies moment I remember is when they are making snits at the waitress about the food being served.

• Members

To hear my late Father tell it, snobs killed jazz.
"It was and is dance music dammit! We didn't go clubs to sit on our butts to listen to jazz we went to dance. "

Trina

There's an essay in Clive James' Cultural Amnesia where he expands on your Dad's theme. He frames his point around a great quote from Duke Ellington: "Jitterbugs are always above you." Interesting read.

• Members

Well HATE is a strong word and is often misused. They probably don't hate you but they probably do resent you because you may have more talent than they do. Just "Walk On" and do your thing. As Neil Young Once sang "I hear some people been talkin' me down....bring up my name...pass it 'round...they don't mention the happy times...they do their thing and I do mine...oooh baby that's hard to change....I can't tell them how to feel...some get stoned...some get strange....sooner or later it al gets real...WALK ON...WALK ON"

• Members
There's an essay in Clive James' Cultural Amnesia where he expands on your Dad's theme. He frames his point around a great quote from Duke Ellington: "Jitterbugs are always above you." Interesting read.

Thanks for the heads up James, I'll definitely check-it-out. :)

Trina

• Members
To hear my late Father tell it, snobs killed jazz.
"It was and is dance music dammit! We didn't go to clubs to sit on our butts to listen to jazz, we went to dance. "

Trina

That's a wonderful quote. I bet your dad was a real cool guy.

Ya know, when I think of old jazz and swing music, the first thing that usually comes to my mind are the big bands. That music really gets my toes tappin'. :D

Archived