VOM 4 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and soon to be mothers.

Well, things came up and I have to actually work on Sunday so I've had to do a bit of a cheat, time wise, and do the recording on Saturday. Hate to have to do that but economics dictate. So, it will be later before I have a chance to have a listen to the rest of the performers.

I apologize for the clams and the increase in tempo. Stuff happens. I also apologize for the noise. I've apparently picked up some interference upon transfer from tape to the computer for conversion to mp3 format. It seems to be related to Linux and Audacity.

Anyway, this is a song I once covered and will put back on the set list. Really don't know why I stopped playing it... Might have had something to do with my mother's passing. It was a song I learned and did sing for her way back then.

The song is a Shel Silverstein tune,
, rearranged by yours truly.

Great song and great performance! I didn't really notice any noise sounded good to me!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Song: Fussen's Down Home (Based off of Tommy's Down Home)

Music: Tommy Skeoch

Lyrics: FussenKuh

Oh, and happy Mother's Day to everyone who qualify
:thu:

Enjoyed that and leep up with the playing and singing. It can be difficult but with practice you can get to the point where you don't think about either and that's when the songs start to flow through you. Don't be afraid to let it all out and give it everything if you have that sort of rehearsal space.

• Members
“When I’m Gone” was first released on “Phil Ochs In Concert” in 1966. Just 10 years later Phil Ochs hanged himself after suffering from alcoholism, drug abuse and depression.

I’ve always loved this song. It has moved and inspired me since the first time I heard it back in the 60’s

I recorded this with my Martin HD-28 and 2 microphones, an SM-57 dynamic on the vocal, and an AKG Performance 220 condenser on the guitar, going to Logic Express through and Apogee Duet.

I've only been trying to play guitar for about 7 weeks, and I still suck pretty bad, and I can't really believe that I'm posting this, so please be kind.
:eek:

You'll find it here.

Sadly I cannot listen because my browser doesn't have the right plug-in........

• Members
Hey the Hi-Fi option worked for me! What a great song! You know the playing in the verses reminds me a lot of Neil Young's greendale stuff. Are you dropping the top & bottom strings to D? Really enjoyed this song!

It was standard tuning, but a couple of odd chord shapes which mighta' thrown you off. Glad you enjoyed it! :D

• Members
I know you all are going to get a laugh out of this, but what the heak...
:)

This is my horrible attempt at a cover. I just started learning it today, and believe me... you can tell...lol

I am learning the chords as well as reading the words, and trying to sing and play at the same time (let alone trying to play finger style which I suck at). But... I figured that if I ever got up at an open mic... this is how horrible I would actually sound...lol

So... Here it is...

House At Pooh Corner (Kenney Loggins)

Don't laugh too hard...
:)

Hey bob, no reason to laugh at that one. What a refreshingly different rendition. I really enjoyed it and your vocal actually enhanced the experience. You have a unique vocal sound and it is very nice. You know if it wasn't for the stumbles and the one missed vocal note at the end I think you could have a very very great rendition of this song!!

• Members

This is my Memorial Day offering; a medley of old patriotic tunes strung together into a single performance on a Larrivee Traditional SD-50 TSB slope-shouldered 12-fret slot-head.

"Simple Gifts" is an 1848 Shaker song by Elder Joseph Brackett.

"America the Beautiful", words by Katharine Lee Bates, an English professor at Wellesley College. In 1893, Bates had taken a train trip to Colorado Springs, and several of the sights on her trip found their way into her poem.

Several existing pieces of music were adapted to her poem. The Hymn tune composed in 1882 by Samuel A. Ward, was generally considered the best music as early as 1910 and is still the popular tune today. The tune came to him while he was on a ferryboat trip from Coney Island back to his home in New York City, and he immediately wrote it down.

"The Star Spangled Banner" is the US national anthem. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key, a 35-year-old amateur poet after seeing the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, Maryland, by Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812. The poem was set to the tune of a popular British drinking song, written by John Stafford Smith.

No animals were injured in the making of this recording in Studio Q.

What a great idea!! I really enjoyed listening to the whole thing!! Excellent playing!! Reminded me of Chet in places!

• Members

ALTERNATE SITE:
soundclick
(Archive.org's been a little overloaded today.)

Mealy-mouthed excuses
: I should have checked my balance in this one mic recording, all things considered. The vocal, which I thought was soulful when I was doing it but which came off as a sort of self-indulgent psycho-billy thing, is way too loud for the guitar. Ah, well. I never get it right on stage, either.
;)
(Oh yeah, and I never get my own lyrics right on stage, either, so that's verisimilitudinous, as well.)

Full disclosure
: I had to throw my first one-take wonder away. That was a slide piece and a particularly poor mic placement combined with my poor technque to make what would have been a less than entirely satisfying first effort here. Not that
this
song above necessarily is, either, mind you -- but I figured I might be allowing the spirit of things to escape me if I was to take a
third
stab.

Special note
:
My
entry is
not
a Mother's Day song. Just so we're straight on that.
;)

What imagery! "watching Lucy re-runs and sniffing airplane glue"
Enjoyed your song very much!

• Members

Another fist-fight with technology, and I did manage to pull something out again this month. Following on the Memorial Day theme and g6120's very cool Tom Waits cover, here's a Tom Waits cover of my own.

Tom Waits, "Soldier's Things":

EXCELLENT!! I saw your post and was looking forward to hearing it and I wasn't disappointed! Great job. I'm working on this one too.

• Members
Enjoyed that and leep up with the playing and singing. It can be difficult but with practice you can get to the point where you don't think about either and that's when the songs start to flow through you. Don't be afraid to let it all out and give it everything if you have that sort of rehearsal space.

Thanks for the encouragement :) I think (or at least I'm hoping) that I finally might be able to pull off a tune complete with lyrics and playing for June. At least I think I'm inching closer with another simple song

• Members

Well, I haven't made it to the last couple of VOMs, and was sure I would

have to miss this one -- my wife (Sue) broke her arm (upper humerus) last

weekend, and is in a shoulder-immobilizing sling for several weeks.

Needless to say, my domestic duties have increased accordingly.

However, I managed to get nearly caught up on the chores and then serenaded

Sue for a few tunes with the H2 recording.

Here is my version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower":

Now I have get back to staving off the chaos for a few more hours, but once

everyone goes to bed, I'll come back to listen to the VOM and relax (I'm

looking forward to that).

Enjoy,

andrew

A very very nice laid back rendition with a superb guitar arrangement.

I think this is something I could hear on the radio definitely!

• Members

Original acoustic blues about keeping the proper perspective.

Recorded on the Zoom H4 (mic setting high) straight to mp3 in a living room while sitting on a couch about fifteen minutes ago; Zoom was about a yard away or less. I used my Takamine C132S gutbox.

VOM1T ... one take, first take, one pass, hit record and then dl'd.
:thu:

Here are the chords if you'd like to "sit in" ...
;)

Cm / Ab7 / | G7 / Cm / |

Fm / / / | G7 / / / |

Eb / Bb7 / | Ab7 / G7 /|

Dm7b5 / G7 / | Cm / G7#5 / |

Fantastic song!! I kept hearing a Tom Waits influence here. Wonderful!! and thanks for leaving a comment on my Waits cover!

• Members

Got home late from a Mothers Day outing with the better half...

Never did pick up a mic stand so I placed my new H4 on a living room cocktail table and had at it....

First off, I had some problems getting the input levels right. My first time and all, but after playing around a bit, and running out of time, I went with acoustic playing and singing, at the same time, directly into the mic from about 3 feet away. Now my voice was a couple of feet higher than the guitar so the guitar definitely carries over my voice...a good thing.

I was very tempted to do the guitar part first, then vocals later and put it together in Audacity. But I didn't. So you are hearing it pretty raw and after only a take or two...Anyhow...here it is...A cover of Steve Goodman's, "Would You Like to Learn To Dance." There isnt any tab or music available, so I took the liberty of just using my ears off the record. It may be my favorite song of his...

My Guild F25 with almost worn out Elixers on it, standard tuning, no capo.

Sorry, had to convert it in Audacity to get the bass out....need more practice with the H4. Should work now.

Excellent Damon! Really enjoyed that. Such a wonderful spontaneous feel to the recording. Some mighty fine singing and playing!

• Members

Haven't had much time to listen to everyone yet, but the tunes that were up this am were great. Been busy with MD, yoga, cooking, home repair, grocery shopping, but did just find a few minutes to do this:

a John Fahey tune, into the new H2.

Simnply beautiful! You do that Fahey composition great justice.

Archived