VOM 4 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First timer in the VOM.

Here's my effort: Baby Was a Friend of Mine [2.2 MB MP3 (vbr) / more dl/stream options Archive.org]

ALTERNATE SITE: soundclick (Archive.org's been a little overloaded today.)

Mealy-mouthed excuses: I should have checked my balance in this one mic recording, all things considered. The vocal, which I thought was soulful when I was doing it but which came off as a sort of self-indulgent psycho-billy thing, is way too loud for the guitar. Ah, well. I never get it right on stage, either. ;) (Oh yeah, and I never get my own lyrics right on stage, either, so that's verisimilitudinous, as well.)

Full disclosure: I had to throw my first one-take wonder away. That was a slide piece and a particularly poor mic placement combined with my poor technque to make what would have been a less than entirely satisfying first effort here. Not that this song above necessarily is, either, mind you -- but I figured I might be allowing the spirit of things to escape me if I was to take a third stab.

Special note: My entry is not a Mother's Day song. Just so we're straight on that. ;)

• Members

Well, I haven't made it to the last couple of VOMs, and was sure I would
have to miss this one -- my wife (Sue) broke her arm (upper humerus) last
weekend, and is in a shoulder-immobilizing sling for several weeks.
Needless to say, my domestic duties have increased accordingly.

However, I managed to get nearly caught up on the chores and then serenaded
Sue for a few tunes with the H2 recording.

Here is my version of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower":

http://www.siaris.net/music/watchtower.mp3

Now I have get back to staving off the chaos for a few more hours, but once
everyone goes to bed, I'll come back to listen to the VOM and relax (I'm
looking forward to that).

Enjoy,
andrew

• Members

This is my first VOM and first time recording a video at all. I just used the isight and mic on my macbook and I guess I'm pretty pleased with the results :idk: anyway this is the first time I've actually played music with the intention of others seeing/hearing it, so we'll see how that goes :wave:

[YOUTUBE]9ALxtlpC83Q[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Original acoustic blues about keeping the proper perspective.

Recorded on the Zoom H4 (mic setting high) straight to mp3 in a living room while sitting on a couch about fifteen minutes ago; Zoom was about a yard away or less. I used my Takamine C132S gutbox.

VOM1T ... one take, first take, one pass, hit record and then dl'd. :thu:

Here are the chords if you'd like to "sit in" ... ;)

Cm / Ab7 / | G7 / Cm / |

Fm / / / | G7 / / / |

Eb / Bb7 / | Ab7 / G7 /|

Dm7b5 / G7 / | Cm / G7#5 / |

• Members

Wow - great submissions so far, I'm really impressed (especially by you guys who are first-timers). But where the heck is everybody - Mother's Day duties?

Some of us had to work as well. I've had a chance to listen to a couple of tunes, later tonight or tomorrow look better, but what's been coming down so far has been "fine". I be smilin'.....

Gotta go and fix some stuff.

Later....

• Members

Looks like I'll be sitting this one out as well. I'm having PC issues (so I can't even listen much less record) and it's Mother's Day so I've been spending my time elsewhere. I'll be sure to come back to this thread when I'm able to listen though; it seems like a pretty good turnout with lots of new participants.

• Members

Got home late from a Mothers Day outing with the better half...

Never did pick up a mic stand so I placed my new H4 on a living room cocktail table and had at it....
First off, I had some problems getting the input levels right. My first time and all, but after playing around a bit, and running out of time, I went with acoustic playing and singing, at the same time, directly into the mic from about 3 feet away. Now my voice was a couple of feet higher than the guitar so the guitar definitely carries over my voice...a good thing.

I was very tempted to do the guitar part first, then vocals later and put it together in Audacity. But I didn't. So you are hearing it pretty raw and after only a take or two...Anyhow...here it is...A cover of Steve Goodman's, "Would You Like to Learn To Dance." There isnt any tab or music available, so I took the liberty of just using my ears off the record. It may be my favorite song of his...

My Guild F25 with almost worn out Elixers on it, standard tuning, no capo.

http://audio.xanga.com/c70man/0c08c2215220/audio.html

Sorry, had to convert it in Audacity to get the bass out....need more practice with the H4. Should work now.

• Members

Looks like Mothers Day kept a lot of folks away, but we still got some great music. I gotta say Queequeg's memorial day piece is just the most wonderful patriotic doodle I've ever heard. Listened to it twice!

Everybody is great, loved listening to it all.

• Members

Hi all,
I'm a noob to the VOM1T... It killed me but I left if at the first take. Excuse the sound/video quality it's my cheapo webcam and the condensor mic that came with it.

Thanks to all of you talented folks. You were instrumental in getting me off my butt to give this a shot.

Here's my cover of Fragile by Sting.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Last month I submitted a non-singing banjo tune of mine. This time I will go with a singing, guitar song I wrote in 2006. The song's lyrics stem from my ongoing frustration with our American society and government. I Hope you enjoy this one take recorded in March of this year:

[YOUTUBE]UlWeR02uNNA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I've been following throughout the day. So many new faces!!! Thanks for everyone for taking the time to post. I noticed in the last VOM that many more comments came during the week ... so stay tuned. Folks are still listening.

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members

Well, it's finally happened... I've been convinced by enough people to record my voice. So, be warned, you may want to plug your ears once you start hearing words

Hey, its coming along.

It's always fun to change lyrics to songs.....I do it all the time. Hell, its hard enough remembering how to play them, let alone the words.

I'll give you a 5 on the VOM meter....mainly because it was dubbed.

Archived