VOM 4 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

:wave:Welcome to the 4th VOM!:wave:

Here are some guidelines ...

• One tune per forumite.

• "One-take" (VOM1T) preferable, but not mandatory.

• Mp3, vids, etc posted in here or linked.

• Submission should have been recorded since last VOM.

• Collaborations among forumites won't violate guideline #1.

• VOM starts at just after midnight (12:00am CST) on Second Sunday and ends just before midnight

on Second Sunday (11:59pm CST)

• If download takes 24hrs or more, just post saying that you're waiting for dl.

• Please include song title and songwriter.

• These are just guidelines. No reason to be :cop: about them!

• Previous VOMs.

N.B., a request from our tireless archiver, Ohioarrow ... please include song title and songwriter in your post. Thank you!

Post 'em if you got 'em!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well I'm on a Tom Waits kick lately. I jus started a YouTube channel for Tom Waits covers hoping it will motivate me to do more. He's definitely one of my musical heroes. Here's my take on I Don't Wanna Grow Up:

[YOUTUBE]RTq6Q1VHIuA&ap=%2526fmt%3D18[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I have a pretty bad cough, so no singing.

If I can come up with an instrumental I'm happy with (haha, fat chance) I'll post it. otherwise...

EDIT:

Under the wire! (Again.) :eek:

I took some cough suppressant and managed to get through a song, hope ya' like it! :D

The Decemberists - "Yankee Bayonet" in honor of memorial day, the roots of which go back to the Civil War.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6537400

As always, only the Lo-Fi option works.

• Members

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and soon to be mothers.

Well, things came up and I have to actually work on Sunday so I've had to do a bit of a cheat, time wise, and do the recording on Saturday. Hate to have to do that but economics dictate. So, it will be later before I have a chance to have a listen to the rest of the performers.

I apologize for the clams and the increase in tempo. Stuff happens. I also apologize for the noise. I've apparently picked up some interference upon transfer from tape to the computer for conversion to mp3 format. It seems to be related to Linux and Audacity.

Anyway, this is a song I once covered and will put back on the set list. Really don't know why I stopped playing it... Might have had something to do with my mother's passing. It was a song I learned and did sing for her way back then.

The song is a Shel Silverstein tune,

• Members

My first entry. Hope this works.. Old sagebrush Ibanez and a Fostex digital recorder. My own simple version of a Charlie Daniels song.

http://media.putfile.com/Long-Hiared-Country-Boy

Its spelled wrong on purpose. I thought it might keep poor innocents from stumbling onto it
:)

Are you sure you didn't mix a little JC in that recording?

Nice....made me smile.

• Members

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers and soon to be mothers.

Not familiar with Silverstein, but I sure like that arrangement. I'll have to check out more of his music. Any suggestions?

Oh, and Great job!

• Members

Well, it's finally happened... I've been convinced by enough people to record my voice. So, be warned, you may want to plug your ears once you start hearing words ;)

With the disclaimer out of the way, the song is based off of a rather obscure Tommy Skeoch (formerly of Tesla) song which, as far as I know, has only been recorded and released on Tesla's "Five Man Acoustical Jam" album.

The song was picked because it's easy to play, it's short, and the singing isn't too involved. With that said, I still don't have the ability to sing and play (I'm slowly working on it, but am still failing badly). So, the lyrics were actually overdubbed after the guitar was recorded... Which, I guess, doesn't make it 1-take (which I was hoping for), but it's as close as I'm able to get at the moment.

The song, itself, is a rather tongue-in-cheek affair about being a country boy. As the original lyrics don't apply to me at all, I took a stab at making up my own cheesy lyrics.

Anyways, enough writing... you've probably stopped reading anyway ;) Hope you enjoy it!

[YOUTUBE]WaOJhvRHGwc[/YOUTUBE]

Song: Fussen's Down Home (Based off of Tommy's Down Home)

Music: Tommy Skeoch

Lyrics: FussenKuh

Oh, and happy Mother's Day to everyone who qualify :thu:

• Members

Are you sure you didn't mix a little JC in that recording?

Nice....made me smile.

Thanks, I had fun doing it. Too bad my A string was a little sharp. I set the guitar down for a while before recording it and I think one of the boys messed with it, or one of the critters was licking on it :).

• Members

I know you all are going to get a laugh out of this, but what the heak...:)

This is my horrible attempt at a cover. I just started learning it today, and believe me... you can tell...lol

I am learning the chords as well as reading the words, and trying to sing and play at the same time (let alone trying to play finger style which I suck at). But... I figured that if I ever got up at an open mic... this is how horrible I would actually sound...lol

So... Here it is...

House At Pooh Corner (Kenney Loggins)

Don't laugh too hard...:)

• Members

This is my Memorial Day offering; a medley of old patriotic tunes strung together into a single performance on a Larrivee Traditional SD-50 TSB slope-shouldered 12-fret slot-head.

"Simple Gifts" is an 1848 Shaker song by Elder Joseph Brackett.

"America the Beautiful", words by Katharine Lee Bates, an English professor at Wellesley College. In 1893, Bates had taken a train trip to Colorado Springs, and several of the sights on her trip found their way into her poem.

Several existing pieces of music were adapted to her poem. The Hymn tune composed in 1882 by Samuel A. Ward, was generally considered the best music as early as 1910 and is still the popular tune today. The tune came to him while he was on a ferryboat trip from Coney Island back to his home in New York City, and he immediately wrote it down.

"The Star Spangled Banner" is the US national anthem. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key, a 35-year-old amateur poet after seeing the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, Maryland, by Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812. The poem was set to the tune of a popular British drinking song, written by John Stafford Smith.

Anyway, here it is.

No animals were injured in the making of this recording in Studio Q.

• Members

Stack, I see garthman's submission, but where's yours?

garthman, haunting and beautiful!

Chirpy_72, very nice!

Gil, excellent, but that hurts my throat just listening to it!

horseman1, nice version, loves me some Charlie Daniels.

mrmoe, nice job!

dak, great one, you should sing that for her often.

totamus, great tune! had my toe tapping.

FussenKuh, great job. playing and singing isn't easy, but you'll get there.

Sangemon, 7 weeks? Keep doing what you're doing. I wouldn't have let the dog listen to me at that stage. :thu: for letting us listen.

bobc, nice job, that will come together in no time.

Queequeg, excellent! nice arrangement.

Archived