VOM 4 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, May 11, 2008

Stackabones

• Members
I know you all are going to get a laugh out of this, but what the heak...
:)

This is my horrible attempt at a cover. I just started learning it today, and believe me... you can tell...lol

I am learning the chords as well as reading the words, and trying to sing and play at the same time (let alone trying to play finger style which I suck at). But... I figured that if I ever got up at an open mic... this is how horrible I would actually sound...lol

:)

Nice.......
That song takes me back to when I was raising my kids, especially my oldest. His middle name is Kristofor for a very special reason. I'll always have a place in my heart for "Pooh". Thanks for the reminder...I need to try that song.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is my Memorial Day offering; a medley of old patriotic tunes strung together into a single performance on a Larrivee Traditional SD-50 TSB slope-shouldered 12-fret slot-head.

"Simple Gifts" is an 1848 Shaker song by Elder Joseph Brackett.

"America the Beautiful", words by Katharine Lee Bates, an English professor at Wellesley College. In 1893, Bates had taken a train trip to Colorado Springs, and several of the sights on her trip found their way into her poem.

Several existing pieces of music were adapted to her poem. The Hymn tune composed in 1882 by Samuel A. Ward, was generally considered the best music as early as 1910 and is still the popular tune today. The tune came to him while he was on a ferryboat trip from Coney Island back to his home in New York City, and he immediately wrote it down.

"The Star Spangled Banner" is the US national anthem. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key, a 35-year-old amateur poet after seeing the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, Maryland, by Royal Navy ships in Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812. The poem was set to the tune of a popular British drinking song, written by John Stafford Smith.

No animals were injured in the making of this recording in Studio Q.

A special treat with very special songs...very, very nice.

• Members

Here's my submission.

I remember well those cold rainy days in Wisconsin...spent many, many days fishing in them. I used to bring my guitar on those fishin trips. It really made the difference when we couldn't get out in the boat. "Merle" fits the place and mood perfectly....great job.

• Members

Another fist-fight with technology, and I did manage to pull something out again this month. Following on the Memorial Day theme and g6120's very cool Tom Waits cover, here's a Tom Waits cover of my own.

Tom Waits, "Soldier's Things":

Nice song, great job......really like the guitar work, great voicing.

Aren't the chords great....what a wonderful song....I have to rethink my music catalog and add some more Waits.

• Members

Well, I haven't made it to the last couple of VOMs, .....

.....Enjoy, andrew

One of my All time FAVorite songs, and your version is excellent.

"Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,

None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

I wrote a song a few years after hearing this for the first time...I was 17, very impressionable, and trying to save the world from current politics and nuclear power. I need to find it and resurrect it for the VOM. It will probably do me some good.

• Members

Original acoustic blues about keeping the proper perspective.

Here are the chords if you'd like to "sit in" ...
;)

Cm / Ab7 / | G7 / Cm / |

Fm / / / | G7 / / / |

Eb / Bb7 / | Ab7 / G7 /|

Dm7b5 / G7 / | Cm / G7#5 / |

Stack....Nice addition of the chords....like that....I did play along after a few listens. Love those minor chords....Oh yeah....another great song...thanks.

Not too complicated...;)

• Members

Hi all,

I'm a noob to the VOM1T... It killed me but I left if at the first take.

Nice first take!

How can anyone NOT get into a "Sting" song...

I wish I had the guts to do one...makes me want to give it a try now.

Thanks, I think.

• Members
Haven't had much time to listen to everyone yet, but the tunes that were up this am were great. Been busy with MD, yoga, cooking, home repair, grocery shopping, but did just find a few minutes to do this:

Orinda Moraga

a John Fahey tune, into the new H2.

A really nice song and a Really nice job..Another song that remind me of home. I wanted to be sitting next to a stream in northern Illinois with my guitar and fishing pole.:)

• Members
Under the wire! (Again.)
:eek:

I took some cough suppressant and managed to get through a song, hope ya' like it!
:D

Hey I know guys that "smoke up" just before singing to get their voice just right....cigarettes that is. You pulled it off fine.

• Members

Holy Crap, hadn't noticed all the posts.....sorry won't do that again.
cut and paste time...I got carried away listening and commenting. I think this was the best VOM yet, at least for me...great songs, great contributions. Thanks to everyone.

• Members

C70man- sounds great. I think you got the hang of that zoomy thingy.
totamus- dang, boy. I wish I could do that.
rhythmdoctor I was totally fascinated by your headgear & trying to get a better look @ it through the whole performance.
bobc good voice. nice song.
Chirpy_72 superb. guitar, vox, recording.
that's all I've had time to listen to so far.
pschaafs; many thanks for your very kind remarks.
all best,
-Q.

• Members

Thanks you, Stack, for posting my entry. This is just a quick visit to the forum on a friends laptop - sitting in the garden, overlooking the sea, drinking a cool glass of Budvar beer on a very fine May day in the UK - temperature hovering around 26 degC (~80 degF) which is very warm for this time of the year.

Good work everyone - back soon.

• Members

I listened to everyone and I enjoyed it very much!

I could not not participate because I'm stuck with a bad sinusitis but it was fun to watch or listen to you people!

Great VOM! :thu:

• Members

.....as I told Joe (Ohioarrow)....I apologize for posting a song that I had previously posted....not having recorded anything new in a while, I just posted an older one; forgetting that I had posted it in february....

• Members

ernestovidal.....I recorded the guitar into 2 AKG Perception 200's into 2 Behringer mic 200's set on "valve"....the vocal was done into a Beyer M-500 ribbon mic....recorded on a Tascam dp01fx-cd....don't remember what guitar I used - either a Taylor 710 or Gallagher G-70

Archived