Guitar builder to sign your guitar. Where on the guitar?

exhaust_49

• Members

I recived an e-mail today from the arts music store. Robert Godin will be there on Thursday to give a talk on guitar building and he will be signing guitars. I own a S+P acoustic (which his company makes) and would love to have him sign it. Where on the guitar could I have him sign it so that it's not showing and protected? I was thinking of having him sign a piece of paper and then glue that paper in the sound hole (right under the S+P label). Any and all suggestions welcome!

• Members

I recived an e-mail today from the arts music store. Robert Godin will be there on Thursday to give a talk on guitar building and he will be signing guitars. I own a S+P acoustic (which his company makes) and would love to have him sign it. Where on the guitar could I have him sign it so that it's not showing and protected? I was thinking of having him sign a piece of paper and then glue that paper in the sound hole (right under the S+P label). Any and all suggestions welcome!

That would be my choice - I've never liked the idea of signing the outside of the guitar. Most small builders do sign the underside of the top. Many others will have a signature on the label - if you could have Mr Godin maybe sign a business card and put it inside with a little double sticky tape.

Thats pretty cool too, Godin is making some stellar guitars

• Members

I like it when the owner takes a giant Sharpie and scrawls his signature right on the back of the guitar it's classy and understated and when your guitar is nice and shiny I lost my train of thought but anyways bring your own marker and get Bobby G to pimp that {censored}.

• Members

If you removed the strings, how difficult would it be for him to sign the label (and part of the inside of the guitar) with a permanent felt-marker?

That would be my first choice.

If it's on the outside, I would go for the lower-right corner of the lower bout (when you're facing the guitar). I've seen sigs on either side of the upper and lower bouts.

The sig will really have a sentimental value to you. It won't raise the value of your guitar and, for some folks, it might even lower it if the sig is on the outside.

• Members

If you removed the strings, how difficult would it be for him to sign the label (and part of the inside of the guitar) with a permanent felt-marker?

If it's on the outside, I would go for the lower-right corner of the lower bout (when you're facing the guitar). I've seen sigs on either side of the upper and lower bouts.

The sig will really have a sentimental value to you. It won't raise the value of your guitar and, for some folks, it might even lower it if the sig is on the outside.

I thought having the signature of the builder on a lable inside the guitar would raise the value of the guitar. Why not?

• Members

completely agree with this .. my choice would be on the label inside the sound hole.

• Members

+1. Gotta get it inside the guitar if you can. Either take off the strings and do it ChiyoDad's way (that would be what I would try to do) or do your idea with a sticker or piece of paper that you put in the guitar post-signing.

Ellen

• Members

yes, back of headstock and in gold paint marker if it is too dark back there. bring your own marker so he is not signing with a raggedy felt tip. other than that, i sure wouldn't want any writing on the body of the guitar

• Members

I'ld take off the strings, find a really long marker and have him scribble on the label.

On a similar note, my strat is apparently signed by one of the guitarist of Phish. It was done by the previous owner, who apparently played a festival. He had him sign the removable backplate which I thought was a great call because frankly I wouldn't want someone's signature on the finish of the guitar itself.

• Members

yes, back of headstock and in gold paint marker if it is too dark back there. bring your own marker so he is not signing with a raggedy felt tip. other than that, i sure wouldn't want any writing on the body of the guitar

I like that idea, but would him signing it lower the value of the guitar?

• Members

I like it when the owner takes a giant Sharpie and scrawls his signature right on the back of the guitar it's classy and understated and when your guitar is nice and shiny I lost my train of thought but anyways bring your own marker and get Bobby G to pimp that {censored}.

That's how it's done yo.....

• Members

Does the guitar have a pickguard? If so, buy another one and have him sign it like they do electrics. Easily added and removed. My preference is like the rest though...label on the inside. Last resort, back of the headstock or soundboard. If you don't think you'll sell it..get it signed anywhere you dang well please..it's your guitar :)

Archived