2008 GAL Convention

Freeman Keller

• Members

IMG_1615.jpg

Building for Playability David Freeman

Fairly basic information on design and construction to ensure good playability. Centered around neck angle, top and bridge, followed by setup and adjustment. (Interestingly, Freeman builds almost exclusively with Spanish heel, including all his steel strings).

19th Century Lutherie Techniques James Buckland

Buckland is both a builder and very fine player of classical guitars build in the traditional method of 19th century Italian guitar makers. Guitars are built on a solera using all hand tools

• Members

Fun stuff

Pipe Organ Tour Paul Tegels

PLU has a beautiful pipe organ and Organ Master Tegels took 12 of us behind the scene, showing the bellows, pipes (including the 32 foot wooden ones that rumble like an earthquake down to the tiny little ones at the limit of human hearing). The triple keyboard, stops (which are mechanically programmable for rapid resetting during a piece), linkage between the stops, keys and valves), and all the other parts of the organ were demonstrated to the appreciative group of instrument builders. The great hall was designed around the organ

• Members

Wow...love those old "gut string guitars" :love:

Thanks for the excellent report and fine photographs. I can see that being luthier yourself you must have found the conference to be most inspiring.

I have no intention of ever building guitars but I do love to look at them and learn more about how they are built. I wish I could attend one sometime. Maybe in a couple of years.

• Members

Thanks for going over the seminars, I will most definitely be going next year.

Actually I have a quick question for you freeman. I am building a very large workbench in my garage for building/ repairing guitars. How deep do you think it should be? I was thinking somewhere between 2 and 3 feet but in your experience what would be best?

• Members

Sounds like a great exhibition - pity it happens across the other side of the world from me.

Thanks for the photos, Freeman - I would really, really have liked to have been able to play some of those baroque guitars.

• Members

Thanks for posting this Freeman! Being at the Convention is a really big treat, I had a great time as I always do.

I wanted to remind everyone, this convention only takes place once every two or three years! That makes it even more special.

And if anyone would like to learn about the Guild of American Luthiers, please visit the website at www.luth.org

and maybe we can all meet up at the next Convention!

• Members

Mark is a very fine builder in his own right and played one of his lovely guitars during the Listening. Welcome to this crazy little group, Mark, and thank you for your great playing at the conference.

I'll just add that these are some of the most wonderful people you will ever meet. They hand you an absolutely lovely guitar and encourage you to sit and play. You don't have to be a builder to visit the conference - I think most of the folks on this forum would benefit and enjoy. Highly recommended

• Members

Yeah, I did a lot of pickin' and grinnin'. And I remember playing the git shown in the photo. It was surprisingly comfy to hold and play, very well set up, and sounded very nice.

Weird! It looks like it would be really heavy towards the bout. For some reason it just looks like most of the guitar is concentrated in that spot. Who made that particular oddball?

Also, I think I remember CC mentioning a copper-backed guitar, is that it in the background of the lovely picture of Samilyn? Bet that thing leaves a weird smell on your clothes. :freak::lol:

Ellen

• Members

Yes, I played that guitar too and I can agree with Samilyn, it was a good sounding guitar and easy to play. I didn't think it would be as nice as it was before I played it.

That is indeed the copper-backed guitar on the table behind Samilyn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow Samilyn that guitar looks real good on ya!
:cool:

As for it's odd shape...I think it looks pretty good now that I see how it looks while being played. Boy it must have been fun.
:)

Tracy,

please remove my photo from your post

thanks

Archived