Found the Martin I want.

daklander

• Members
I'd have to sell my soul now but this is one Martin I'd love to own.

50050_LRG.jpg
CEO-4

It's a beaut, Dak. Ya know, I had the same feeling about selling the soul and all, when I found my Taylor Jumbo. Then it dawned on me, I'll be playing it in church. That's all it took and I bought it on a Saturday afternoon and played it for services the very next day.

I hooked it into the PA system, scooped out the mids and never even had a chance to sound check it. I was scared to death until I hit the first chord live in front of about 150 people. The sound was breathtaking.

I never regretted that decision since!

RT1:thu:

• Members

RT1, I did not know Martin made a round shoulder guitar until today and every one I've seen has been sold. Martin's site does show a couple of music stores that have, apparently, some new ones but I still don't have the money. I also found a youtube video with one being played. Sounds good for a video mic recording.

Larry50, it is Martin's version of the J45.

• Members

I actaully got to play one of those at NazFest this weekend. One of the UMGFers had it. It is one big guitar. Big, big sound. It's as big as a J-45 and I think the body is a bit deeper.

That one is gorgeous! It looks just like the one she had there.:thu:

• Members

Looks a lot better IMO. Much nicer burst. Is it RW or mahogany?

Edit: Looked it up on Martin's website. Its a rosewood model, listed as the CEO-4R. Style 18 appointments, scalloped modified hybrid x-bracing. MAP is about 3K, which should make the street price equivalent to a new J-45.

• Members

Just glancing at the pic, it looked like a Gibby. Of course, being a Martin, it would sound better....

I also did not know that Martin had a slope shoulder model. Every slope shoulder that I have played (Gibsons) sounds great!

• Members

Just glancing at the pic, it looked like a Gibby. Of course, being a Martin, it would sound netter....

I also did not know that Martin had a slope shoulder model. Every slope shoulder that I have played (Gibsons) sounds great!

Gibson is overrated in my opinion

Never thought I would here myself say that but after comparing them to Martin I find they just don't do anything for me.

• Members

I owned a CEO IV for a couple of years. They are interesting guitars. The fretboard is Micarta, it looks OK but the feeling was a little plastic-like. Martin should take a cue from Parker Guitars and use a carbon fiber board ( they're slick as ice ).

The neck/body connection is a bolt-on as opposed to Martin's traditional dovetail joint. You'll get no complaints from me on this type of joint.

The sound was very balanced, unlike any Martin dread I've played before or since.

Overall a damn good guitars that's built to last for years

• Members

I owned a CEO IV for a couple of years. They are interesting guitars. The fretboard is Micarta, it looks OK but the feeling was a little plastic-like. Martin should take a cue from Parker Guitars and use a carbon fiber board ( they're slick as ice ).

The neck/body connection is a bolt-on as opposed to Martin's traditional dovetail joint. You'll get no complaints from me on this type of joint.

The sound was very balanced, unlike any Martin dread I've played before or since.

Overall a damn good guitars that's built to last for years

It isn't technically a bolt-on neck but a mortise and tenon joint where a small bolt is used to marry the neck and body together while the glue dries. The bolt has no structural function other than that.

The CEO4 (mahogany) has been withdrawn but the CEO4R (rosewood) is still available. I owned one and it was a great guitar-except for the gold-coloured frets. Also it sounds and feels nothing like the Gibson J45 which someone suggested it resembles-it's a big, fat rumbly tone and typically Martin except that it has none of the boomy, overblown and inarticulate bass of some Martin dreads; particularly those with scalloped braces like the HD28, for example.

I'd like to have one again.

• Members

RT1, I did not know Martin made a round shoulder guitar until today and every one I've seen has been sold. Martin's site does show a couple of music stores that have, apparently, some new ones but I still don't have the money. I also found a youtube video with one being played. Sounds good for a video mic recording.

Have you looked at the D-18VS or the HD-28VS?

• Members

The CEO5, also not being made anymore, is a fantastic guitar; 12 fret, slothead, slope dread with sapele back and sides and bearclaw spruce. Well worth tracking down although I believe only about 300 were made.

• Members

I am not, overall, a Martin dread fan. I've played quite a number of them and there are few I've fell in love with. Besides, I have enough dreads, love the slope shoulder look and have wanted a J45 or the Epi AJ500M. When I saw that a slope shoulder with the Martin name was available it went to the top of the list. The Mahogany body would be my preference but I wouldn't turn down a Rosewood.

• Members
by the looks of it you will need to change the jazzy hat on your avitar to a cowboy hat tho...........hope you like campfires and stuff like that, it looks like a missouri flat pickers dream.

Ah, I do miss that hat. Someone liked it better than I did and stole it.
I do have a couple of good old boy straw hats and a thirty some odd year old Stetson.
I do like campfires too. :thu:

• Members

I don't know if it's the same model, but I played a CEO guitar about a month ago. When I first strumed it, I was impressed with the bass; but after playing it a while I was bothered by the overpowering bass.

I may have my memory wrong. It may have been one of the other Martins I tried that had the overpowering bass. But I am pretty sure that my impression of the particular CEO guitar I tried was that I didn't care for the balance.

Scott O

• Members
I don't know if it's the same model, but I played a CEO guitar about a month ago. When I first strumed it, I was impressed with the bass; but after playing it a while I was bothered by the overpowering bass.

I may have my memory wrong. It may have been one of the other Martins I tried that had the overpowering bass. But I am pretty sure that my impression of the particular CEO guitar I tried was that I didn't care for the balance.

Scott O

Adjust your string attack a little and the bass would whisper.

---------

Great choice Dak. They're very like the J-45, but IMHO not as heavy. :thu:

Archived