What to do about cracks in guitar finish

MDLMUSIC

• Members

Not sure if I should be posting this here or in DYI, but here goes.

I have an Applause AE28 electric/acoustic guitar that plays pretty well, but doesn't look so great. There are a couple of cracks in the thick plastic-y finish. It doesn't seem like there are any cracks in the wood itself, just the clear finish.

guitarcrack1.jpg

guitarcrack2.jpg

I'm assuming my best bet is to remove the finish to eliminate the cracks.

Would sanding be the best way to go? Or is there some kind of chemical remover I could use that would not damage the wood? If I sand off the finish, should I put something else on or leave it natural to let it "breathe"?

Any ideas?

• Members

I agree, don't touch it. The finish is probably polyurethane and very, very tough to get off.

Unfortunately Ovation/Applause guitars are prone to stress and temperature cracks much more than all-wood guitars where all the wood can move around sympathetically.

When you have a rigid plastic bowl and a piece of wood attached to it which wants to expand and contract...somethings gonna give; and it's always the wood/finish.

• Members

You've basically three options;

1. Drop filling with thinned clear polyurethane. Tends not to be invisible mending.

2. Sanding and scraping back to the wood surface and re-finishing. Can take an age to complete, but only you can decide upon whether the effort is worthwhile.

3. Live with the flaws while avoiding extremes of temperature and humidity.

At the end of the day, possibly the best route is - regardless of what you decide to do - diagnose the cause of the problem and resolve it before further cracks develop. :thu:

• Members

every single one of my old Yamaha Dynamics has the same crazing and finish checking as this one does, so far...and some are over 50 years old...I haven`t had any trouble with any of them, and I own 29 at this time, excluding my old first run classicals and the other makers models I have.

It`d be nice to avoid extremes of temperature but our place has no insulation in the walls, they`re concrete and there are no double windows in our building...in fact I`ve started to think theres no building code at all in Japan... so I can`t actually control how cold the guitars get at night, I can see my breath in out bedroom when I wake in the morning. And I won`t even start on humidity here.

gibson088.jpg

• Members

I would leave it alone. I have a crazy theory that the cracks must make the top back and sides more compliant and therefore livelier and more responsive, possibly enhancing the tone, if not at least the volume. Maybe the tiny unseen cracks in the older guitar's finish are part of the mysterious recipe...

Zenbu, the cracks in your guit looks like my face. Granted I'm no religious icon, but if you ever sell it on the Bay you might get a few more bucks for mentioning the resemblance.:lol:

• Members

It would be interesting to know in the OP's case whether or not any of those finish cracks follow the internal bracing...

Not a clue. But some seem to follw a pattern while others are random.

I guess I'll just leave it alone as most of you have suggested. I'm sure that you're right that it was temperature extremes that caused the cracks. I have been known to leave my guitar in the car between gigs and here in the Mojave Desert an outside temperature of 125 degrees is common. I imagine it must be over 200 in the car. I'm probably lucky the plastic bowl didn't melt.

Of course I could always paint over it like I did my 30 year old Applause. Hasn't seemed to affect the tone any, and I've been using it outdoors and in for a long time.

02b552d5.jpg

IM000183.jpg

IM000162.jpg

• 11 years later...

Archived