Question about Seagulls and A&L guitars

Rusty_Chains

• Members

I just recently purchased a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo and an Art & Lutherie Cedar dreadnaught. I don't have a whole lot of money invested in either but I love them and want them to stick around.

Recently I have heard remarks that the Seagull and A&Ls are prone to warping even if well cared for. I know they have reinforcement bolts at the neck joint and I thought they were added to keep this from happening?

I had an S12 that seemed to hold up fine for 2 years. It was used when I bought it and seemed fine. In fact, stability was one of the reasons I went Seagull this time around.

Am I just paranoid that my favorite acoustics are going to go to {censored} on me in a few years or are there legit concerns regarding the longevity of these guitars that I have not been aware of?

• Members

I have a Seagull S6 with a spruce top. I've had it for about 7-8 years. thing is very solid. a few dings here and there sure but absouly no warping. i dont have a humidifier and i leave it on a stand in my room when not in use.

It plays great i really have love for it and i've never had it set up. I'm kind of afraid to have it set up i dont want to mess with it but i'll probably do it in the near future. I also have some questions about seagulls but i wont hijack your thread

• Members

I have the Seagull Mini-Jumbo Entourage also and have heard just a little about said warpping...I have had mine for one year and no issues.

The set up on this guitar is great and I have not seen any changes. It is my office guitar and see's play 5 days a week.

Would like to here more if anyone has info...probably a interweb "this happened to me" repeated many times...

• Members

I've owned several Seagulls (S6+, Coastline Grand :love:, Coastline S6) and currently (since last week) have an Entourage dread that a friend of mine had since we were selling them a year or so ago. I've sold quite a number of these and while I have lowered the saddle on almost all of them I have never before this thread heard of or encountered any warping issue or had any returned for structural concerns. I do not sell guitars anymore but if I did I would be very proud to sell Seagulls. Excellent for the price in my opinion. This Entourage Rustic is a less expensive model but has a slightly narrower neck that I prefer and seems constructed with the same care as all of the other Seagulls I've examined and played. I assume it will outlast me. :cool:

• Members

Earlier this year, I sold my 10 year old A&L Cedar dreadnought. Never did a thing to care for it in any special way, and it looked like the day I got it... without any issues whatsoever. I suffered some regret over selling that guitar, so when I found another on craigslist for $100, I snatched it up. This one is about 5 years old and spent all its life in the California desert, and it's in absolutely perfect health. Until this thread, I never heard anything about warpage issues with A&L or Seagull guitars.

• Members

I have a Seagull S6 with a spruce top. I've had it for about 7-8 years. thing is very solid. a few dings here and there sure but absouly no warping. i dont have a humidifier and i leave it on a stand in my room when not in use.

When I owned the S series guitars I never had a problem. Just played them & left them out on the stand, or the back of my truck. With my M series, I either have them in their case or on a stand ready to play.

• Members

My A & L has been great. The only issue I ever had with it was that the truss rod wasn't tightened down at the factory. For a while there it was real sensitive to heat and humidity changes. Once I figured out what was the problem, it's been fine.

Tony

• Members

I have never had a problem either. My only concerns have been the softness of the top. I do a lot of slap harmonics and was dinging my A&L with my thumbpick. I added a right-hand self-stick pickguard to the other side of the soundhole flipped upside down to solve the problem and I can beat the hell out of it now.

Both guitars are incredibly solid and I had them setup from day one. Have not had a problem and I hope I never well. If anything, this thread is making me feel more assured.

Archived