One of life's mysteries...

Terry Allan Hall

• Members

Just received this in my email:

To: tahall@embarqmail.com

Sent: Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:51:39 PM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago

Subject: You play out?

I don't understand something... I've heard you play. I can play better than you can. Yet I can't find a gig where I'm at. Nobody will hire me. And yet you posted on some board that you had your first Friday night off in a long while. I can't believe you play out! You're such a mediocre guitarist. Who hires you? Do they have really super low expectations or maybe I'm just judging my playing too harshly but if I sounded like you did and could only play like that I'd never leave the house with my guitar. And yet you actually get people to pay you to play? What's your secret? Do you blow them after the gigs? Do you have pictures of somebody? It can't be a talent thing 'cause you don't have much, if any. So, how's that work? Can I move to where ever you live so I can play out too, despite being mediocre?

Seriously if you want I can post some stuff for you to listen to. I want to play out but am afraid to, but if YOU play out then why can't I? I'm better than you.

just curious.

J

Gee, I can't imagine why such a humble and pleasent fellow like yourself can't get a gig...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

J. Vermont replies:

so people hire you because you're nice to them? Really? it doesn't matter that you are a mediocrity?

I'd rather get hired because I was good, not because I was a nice guy.

Anyway, like I said, what kind of music community is so starved for players that a cat like you can get a steady stream of gigs? I wanna move there.

thanks,

I'm beginning to think he doesn't like me much...as I've not set foot in Chicago (where it seems he's from) in nearly 15 years, I've got to wonder how much time he's spent tracking me down...and if he is the son (or husband :eek: ) of the waitress I went out with whenever I was in town...

Didn't see a ring on her hand, I swear! :idea:

• Members

Well, Terry, since he knows you posted here about the Friday night off, my guess is that he's a troll from one of the forums here and is simply out to give you a hard time. Ignore him. If he was any good at all, he'd be gigging, not acting like a kindergarten baby crying in his milk.

And if he turns out to be related to the waitress, just tell him how much you enjoyed her and leave him to his imagination. :idea:

• Members
Well, Terry, since he knows you posted here about the Friday night off, my guess is that he's a troll from one of the forums here and is simply out to give you a hard time.

Pretty much my thoughts...I guess he wants some attention, so now he's gotten a little.
:p

Ignore him. If he was any good at all, he'd be gigging, not acting like a kindergarten baby crying in his milk.

I'm sure he means well...
:lol:

And if he turns out to be related to the waitress, just tell him how much you enjoyed her and leave him to his imagination.
:idea:

You have a delightful mean streak...I like that in a woman! :love:

• Members

Well, if this guy really wants to know, I'll tell him:

Terry's got soul pal, and you don't.

And when it comes to music, soul trumps skill every time.

+1000

Somebody once said "if you ain't got soul, you can't play for sh**."

That's why some of us get paid for what we do and others just wannabe.

• Members

Maybe this person in some strange way is trying to give himself the courage to do what Terry does and thinks the best way to do it is by downplaying Terry's abilities. He thinks to himself "If Terry can do it, I certainly can!"

"Seriously if you want I can post some stuff for you to listen to. I want to play out but am afraid to, but if YOU play out then why can't I? I'm better than you."

That last sentence reveals a great deal. He obviously doesn't think Terry is awful. Why would he want Terry to listen to his music if he thought so little of him? He also admits he's afraid and perhaps lacks the courage to do what Terry does on a regular basis. This causes frustration and resentment.
This is especially true if he really thinks he's better than Terry as a player.

In other words, if you look at the email rather closely, you will see that this person really wrote the letter to himself. A rather crude way of giving himself a pep talk while at the same revealing his fears and troubles to someone he begrudgingly admires.

That's my take.

Abando

Archived