Recommend me some good bluegrass...

Tag

• Members

Dan Tyminski is the voice of "The Soggy Bottom Boys". And as Justsomeguy pointed out, he is currently with Alison Krauss and Union Station... a band which also features the fantastic Jerry Douglas on slide guitar.

Jerry Douglas is my bluegrassy recommendation.

A few other quick picks for bluegrass/newgrass musicians:
-Psychograss (including Mike Marshall-mandolin, Darol Anger-fiddle)
-Pat Flynn
-Mark O'Connor

...but DEFINITELY check out Jerry Douglas

• Members

I saw a feature film once said that Grisman and Garcia met at a Bill Monroe festival. each went their seperate ways but ended up a few miles apart and put out some great bluegrass alblums I suggest the Pizza Tapes which includes Tony Rice, these were not finished in a studio but recorded in Garcias house. they were called the Pizza Tapes because a Pizza Delivery guy stold them

• Members

There are so many great Bluegrass bands here in the South it's hard to mention all of em'. The Cherryholmes story is really a great one. Basically, mom and dad started the band and as the kids grew up they each learned to play and joined, now it's one of the all time great Bluegrass bands.

• Members

Man this thread is golden, thanks to everyone! I should have my fill for a few months now at least...

That's one nice thing about Bluegrass, you don't have to waste your time looking for a drummer,LOL. :poke:

Ha, maybe that's why I'm getting so into it...the wife plays bass and I rock the guit and we both sing, and we unsuccessfully searched for a suitable drummer for a long time before finally just deciding to play as an acoustic duo... :cool:

• Members
Frank,

That is neat that you and the wife play together, when I was married, my wife played piano with me and also guitar.

If I still lived In Knoxville, I'd come up and jam!!!!!

Jim

Sorry, but it was TAG that said his wife played too. Mine can't play a lick on Anything.:cry: I've been trying to get her to give the guitar a try but it's a bit hard on her fingers. I was thinking that maybe an autoharp would be easier.

• Members
Sorry, but it was TAG that said his wife played too. Mine can't play a lick on Anything.
:cry:
I've been trying to get her to give the guitar a try but it's a bit hard on her fingers. I was thinking that maybe an autoharp would be easier.

Autoharp is fun and very, very easy to play. I love 'em.

• Members

To add to the excellent suggestions already give...

For an overview of traditional bluegrass I recommend giving the CD "Appalachian Stomp: Bluegrass Classics" a listen. As the name implies it's a compilation of classic bluegrass songs. It's what got me started on traditional bluegrass.

Archived