Jeez, I need to get a life...

kwakatak

• Members

My problem is a little different, Kwak. I'm firmly convinced the audience does'nt comprehend much of anything they hear. Unless it's a familiar tune. For that, they applaud.

One would think that with such an outlook, stagefright would'nt be a problem.

I'll see your remark and raise you one: They aren't qualified to listen. They only hear.

• Members

OK, I've been doing some reflecting (when I've been able) and I think that I could definitely see myself playing some background music in a coffee shop. I think I've got enough fingerstyle pieces in my repertoire to fill up a couple of hours. The only issue is that they don't all fit within a certain style: some are folk, some blues, some jazz, some "muzak"...

As for the whole "entertainer" thing, well I don't think I'd have a problem with interacting with people. I try to approach situations with a bit of humor, though sometimes it falls flat.

• Members

OK, I've been doing some reflecting (when I've been able) and I think that I could definitely see myself playing some background music in a coffee shop. I think I've got enough fingerstyle pieces in my repertoire to fill up a couple of hours. The only issue is that they don't all fit within a certain style: some are folk, some blues, some jazz, some "muzak"...

As for the whole "entertainer" thing, well I don't think I'd have a problem with interacting with people. I try to approach situations with a bit of humor, though sometimes it falls flat.

Excellent, Neil! That's a great mix - very appropriate for a coffeehouse type venue.

As to the "entertainer" aspect, you'll find that it gets much easier, especially after you get to know a few regulars as well as the staff of a venue that you play at frequently.

GO FOR IT !!!!!!!!!

• Members

Per my earlier post, most of the music I had in mind is instrumental. I also like to play and sing as well - and in different genres as well. Would this be too disruptive in coffee house settings where people generally just do their own thing and just want some background music?

• Members

Per my earlier post, most of the music I had in mind is instrumental. I also like to play and sing as well - and in different genres as well. Would this be too disruptive in coffee house settings where people generally just do their own thing and just want some background music?

I don't think it would be disruptive at all. Singing, just like instrumentals can be kept to the background. I've played a lot of "ambience" gigs in my day, using very few instrumentals, because I'm primarily a vocalist, not a good fingerstyle player.

It's not so much about keeping the music mellow as keeping the volume down so people can play chess, read their books, chat with each other, etc.

• Members

Heck, go to the coffee houses and spend a little time getting acquainted with their ambiance and patrons. A little recon will help loads. The open mic I've done at a little wine bar near my place is a postage stamp. I've done blues, folk, and my own stuff quietly off on a small corner platform. Doesn't rate the word "stage". But, I went there to check it out first. I borrowed a guitar from the local mom/pop with the condition I would plug their store while at the bar to the patrons. I didn't want to take my guitar there. Harmless, maybe, but I'm not taking chances just to satisfy an occasional urge to make guitar noises in public.

• Members
Anybody else ever been an "in the closet" sort of player like this? Do I need to get a real life or go on prozac or something?
:freak:

I also hate it when I'm out with friends and they want me to go up on stage and play something. So from my perspective, I'd say "no" you don't need to get e real life.....there are more of us out there just like you.

• Members

Hey Neil buddy, I figured I would come by and check this place out.You need to learn to like coffee more :)
Lets see; I suck but have no stage fright, you are fantastic and have stage fright. Something is wrong. Lets Milli Vanilli. I'll bring a "Big Box" on stage with me. You play and sing and I'll syc.
I got the Zoom H4 figured out more!
See you next Wednesday. Or whenever you can break away from life.

• Members

There's nothing better than playing live. Though I've had a dry spell due to misdirection (about a year or two), it's a rare week in my life as a musician that I haven't performed at least once a week.

I've played house parties, jam sessions, coffee shops, restaurants, clubs, festivals ... I've seen a million faces, and I've rocked them all! :rawk::lol:

Whatever you do, never consider any gig a "paid rehearsal." There are not many ways to be more condescending to an audience (or the venue) than to consider any performance anything less than the real deal. Even in places where outbursts of applause aren't common (coffee shops, restaurants), people know you are playing and they will respond in subtle ways. If there is only one person in the audience, give them a show and play your best.

Give any audience the benefit of a doubt that they get you and get what you're trying to do.

I think it's great that you're gonna do this! :thu:

• Members

I warm up the audience with covers and a bit of chit-chat. Once I have a connection with them, the original material usually goes over quite well.

Warn Up!!!! ................Hell..........LOL

Don't let her fool you. We would start on a song Cold, get a few bars into it and screw it up royally.

Then we just start improvising the hell out of it until the audience realized we were screwing around, then, when we got comfortable, we would get semi-serious and just have a good time.

• Members
I also hate it when I'm out with friends and they want me to go up on stage and play something. So from my perspective, I'd say "no" you don't need to get e real life.....there are more of us out there just like you.

Well, there are friends and then there are friends. Real friends don't shout out "Freebird!" :mad:

• Members
Hey Neil buddy, I figured I would come by and check this place out.You need to learn to like coffee more
:)
Lets see; I suck but have no stage fright, you are fantastic and have stage fright. Something is wrong. Lets Milli Vanilli. I'll bring a "Big Box" on stage with me. You play and sing and I'll syc.

I got the Zoom H4 figured out more!

See you next Wednesday. Or whenever you can break away from life.

Hey, John! :eek:

What can I say? Some folks make me relax. I'm usually on my guard. It literally took me 15 years to open up to this certain circle of "yuppie" friends who I inherited from my wife. My own "redneck" friends (from 15 years ago) and I used to have no inhibitions. In fact, much of my youth was spent in Deadhead fashion where we'd sit around a tape player with our guitars and try to play along. It's been too long since I've been at ease like that. Last year's LB Jam and this past summer's McKnight jam were almost like stepping back in time to the good old days.

Archived