Buying First Acoustic - Can't Decide Out Of These Two!

CaptainCoconut

• Members

http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-AEG10E-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-519982-i1150882.Music123

^ Cons - small sound when unplugged

Pros - cut away, electric with built in tuner

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/reviews?base_pid=518369&page=2&sc=date&so=desc

^ Cons - Again small sound, No cut away design and no electric pickups

Pros - it's an epiphone?

Basically, I have small hands but I want a big sound! - all for around the $300 dollar mark. But when I say "big tone", not like clanky and steel like - but warm and jazz like.

Is it safe to assume that the Epiphone will be louder than the Ibanez (unplugged)? And will it be that much of a difference to justify picking it up over the Ibanez?

So now I just need input from someone who actually knows something... about anything! lol

• Members

Cutaways(in my opinion) are all but useless on acoustics. Once you're that high on the fretboard, there's not much volume, the timbre of the strings is off, it's just not something you look for. You're not doing meedly meedly meedly meeeeeeoooouuuuggggh solos on this, and if you find yourself past the 12 fret, you're probably gonna wanna see how you could rephrase things.

Anyway, these acoustics are MADE to be plugged in. They have chunks cut out for heavy onboard EQ, and have bodies made counter productively to vibration, meaning they're not gonna superb acoustics. And subpar acoustics don't make superb amplified acoustic sounds.

Get a good yamaha or other acoustic, if you can buy local, buy used, and play before you buy, take the pick of litter. Then pay the >$50 it is to get a soundhole pickup and endpin jack. You'll save a lot of hassle, cash, and in the long run be happier with your sound.

• Members

Well thank you for the quick response, your point about cutaways seems to me like a valid one....

What would you specifically suggest for a small handed midget such as myself? Also, the guitar shops in my area all overcharge so that's not an option for me and knowing my inexperience If purchasing a used guitar I'd probably pick up a lemon.

• Members

Well, just feel out guitars in your local area. Find what's good on your hands. Sometimes you don't need a smaller guitar(angus young rocks the same SGs as iommi, who is an entire foot taller). And if you need a smaller neck, Try capoing at the 3rd or 5th fret, it's easier to play there than at the nut for open chords, and your vocal range may be closer to there anyway.

Do you plan to play mainly seated or standing? Acoustic body size may get in the way at first, but you learn to deal, nature of the beast.

• Members

I'm curious about your experience level.

If you're just starting out, I would pass on the acoustic/electrics completely and find yourself a straight-out acoustic guitar. You'll get something that sounds better on its own, and if you ever need amplification, it not a difficult or expensive mod.

Yamaha makes some good starters, and I was very happy with my Alvarez Regent (though that was a while ago.)

• Members

You're looking for a first guitar with a neck that's slim, comfortable, and easy to play with smaller hands. Your price range appears to be under $300, and you seem to prefer sunburst finish. This is the only guitar I would recommend:

For an extra 20 bucks I'd go with the FG730s, and that will still keep him under 300.

• Members

Of the two, I'd probably go with the Epiphone, if it has a solid spruce top. If the description says "Spruce, Select Spruce" or anything other than "Solid Spruce", it's probably laminate. It's the same cost as their Dove and Hummingbird models that are solid, so it might be. Prettier too, IMO.

While the pickup and tuner may sound like an advantage, You want the best guitar for the money. Tuner, pickup can wait. At this price point the cost of bells and whistles between solid wood and ply. While there area lot of very good laminate gutars out there, personally I would go for the solid spruce.

And a good point is made about the Yammies. definately worth a look. I haven't had any experience with them myself, but if you search this forum you'll see a lot of people who swear by them. Long time posters whose opinion I respect highly.

Whatever you decide, I envy you the thrill of buying a new acoustic guitar, and play, play, play!

• Members

My vote goes to the Yammies. Lots of git for very little bucks. Excellent build quality and sound.

A good chromatic tuner is less than $20, so forget about onboard electronics and onboard tuners.

Later, a nice K&K P'up can be added for less than $100.

• Members

Great suggestion!

Or, he could order the FG720S from here for under $240!!!

http://www.instrumentalsavings.com/ShoppingCart.asp

There is a new FG720S on ebay for $259.99 FREE shipping. With Live.com Cashback eligibility of $78!!!! ($181.99)

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger myself! :facepalm:

Also a FG730S on the bay for $249.99 + 43.28 shipping ($293.27) less $75 cashback! ($218.27)

wow...

• Members

He specified a slim neck, Seagull's 1.8 inch neck would be a little much.

Would've also recommended a 'Gull, but when he said he wanted a slim neck, I decided against it. Seagull necks are pretty beefy, although I think they make some slimmer models.

CaptainCoconut, do you have a local Craig's List, by any chance? If you do, there's almost certainly going to be some killer guitar deals on there...If you can, I'd certainly give CL a shot.

• Members

Allot of helpful replies here, thanks guys!

I went to the local pawn shops yesterday, most of the guitars looked really beat up so I decided against that. Then I went to a few guitar chain stores. Some pretty good deals on used acoustics but nothing I was really interested in.

Anyway I'm planing on playing the heck out of whatever I decide to get, I'm past the beginner stage for sure so I want something that I will play forever. I'm heading over to ebay and craigs list right now, thanks again everyone.

Edit - TBH the thing that throws me off about the Yahamas are the cheap looks and from what I've heard plain/clanky tone. About the epiphone EL-00, can anyone confirm if it sounds equal to the gibson L-00?

• Members

Since you're looking on ebay, check out this vintage tokai I scored recently.

P1150821.jpg

P1150819.jpg

P1150826.jpg

The guy, a japanese seller, has several more similiar to this beauty. I recommend highly. I have been looking for a nice acoustic for awhile and have tried tons.

A big fan of tokai LP's, I stumbled across these Martin replicas.

And I am so glad I did. This thing is amazing.

I agree with getting a guitar w/o electronics

Archived