Tuned my resonator to standard tuning.

TN.Frank

• Members

Tuned it to standard and used a pick and guess what, it doesn't sound too bad. I kind of like the way it sounds, it's different. The size is quite a bit smaller then a dread, in fact, it's about the size I was looking for when I wanted a 3/4(which by the way is WAY to small) so I just might tune it standard and play with a pick for a while. :thu:

• Members

Yep, I had it in High Bluegrass G and was using finger picks and a slide.

I don't see why more people don't play resonators in standard tuning. They're smaller then a standard Dread or Jumbo, they've got the same if not more volume and they've got a "sound" that sounds good to my ears. It's bright but not too bright if you know what I mean.

I'm kind of glad I got the round neck because I CAN play it in standard with a pick like a "normal" guitar but at the same time I was afraid of this happening too. It's too easy to cop out and not work at playing dobro style slide when I can just tune to standard tuning and play like I do on my other guitars.

I don't know, maybe after I get the nut extention I'll give slide another try. At least I've got the option with a round neck. :thu:

• Members

I love the sound of a resonator. I've goofed around with one a few times and really liked it. I'd like to get one someday and just play it like a regular acoustic.

I'd think that a reso in standard tuning would be great for playing a wide variety of music. Many folks automatically think slide and blues, but I think the instrument shouldn't be so pigeon-holed.

While logically I know any guitar can be used to play just about any kind of music, in the irrational part of my mind reso = bluegrass slide, and I just don't play that genre. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to pull it off, but right now I've only been playing six months or so, people would think "stupid noob, he's playing that guitar wrong".

• Members

While logically I know any guitar can be used to play just about any kind of music, in the irrational part of my mind reso = bluegrass slide, and I just don't play that genre. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to pull it off, but right now I've only been playing six months or so, people would think "stupid noob, he's playing that guitar wrong".

The same logic would lead you to say that Willie Nelson is playing Trigger incorrectly. It's a classical guitar, right? :poke:

There are countless examples of the "wrong" guitar playing the "wrong" music. Six strings, twelve frets, two hands. ;)

• Members

Playing it in standard tuning is what makes the guitar a good inexpensive and durable beater for outdoors while busking, camping etc...

I would do play it in standard too if I liked the guitar's sound and how it plays regardless of it being a "resonator" type guitar. I think one of those would be ideal for busking due to it's volume.

• Members

Now you guys got me thinking. I would like to upgrade my acoustic because it's a cheap hand-me-down that frankly is a piece of crap. First I plan on picking up an electric guitar sometime after New Year. I am into a little folk rock, which wouldn't sound that out of place on a resonator. Maybe a round-neck Dobro is next on the shopping list?

• Members

Blind Boy Fuller played his style O in standard tuning (but down two steps) without a slide. Keep Truckin' Mama, Jive Woman Blues, etc.

Remember that they usually don't intonate very well and often have pretty high action, but I mix fretted and slide notes all the time on my 'bros (well, right now one is set up for lap slide but the other is a standard Spanish guitar).

• Members

The action is acutally as good as my other guitars, which is a supprise to me. The intonation is off on a couple strings but I'm sure I can move the spider a bit and get it closer but on 4 of the strings the intonation is right on. I just like that kind of "resonator" sound. It's hard to discribe unless you actually hear it but it has a great sound.

• Members

Weren't resonators taken in by jazz player before 'letrics came about to get over the horns in volume?

You know, I've heard that said ... but I can't recall ever have seen a reso pictured with a big band. Not saying that it didn't happen, but I've mainly seen pics of archtops.

I think Argentine gypsy jazzer Oscar Aleman played one.

Sol Hoopii basically played hot jazz Hawaiian music on his.

:idk:

• Members

You know, I've heard that said ... but I can't recall ever have seen a reso pictured with a big band. Not saying that it didn't happen, but I've mainly seen pics of archtops.

I think Argentine gypsy jazzer
Oscar Aleman played one

Sol Hoopii basically played hot jazz Hawaiian music on his.

:idk:

Correct!

oscaraleman1.jpg

Archived