Is the finish on the Yamaha FG700S gloss or satin?

ChiyoDad

• Members

From what I recall I think it's like a "satin" or matte finish on it. :idk:

The only one I ever tried was the FG700MS which is only available in Canada. It was a natural finish though. It was a very nice guitar. Excellent build quality. I think it would be an good addition to your existing Yamaha collection. ;)

• Members

I might be adding a dread to my guitar arsenal, and it's probably going to be a Yamaha.
:thu:

I'm considering the FG700S in "sandburst". Does anyone know if the finish of this model is gloss or satin?

Ya know, that is a dam fine looking color set. I like that.

• Members

Thanks for all the responses! I did confirm that it is a gloss. :)

Ya know, that is a dam fine looking color set. I like that.

Yes. Yamaha calls it "sandburst" but I've also heard it referred to as "tea-burst". I think Guild has a model with that color scheme. It works great with mahogany or nato backs/sides.

• Members

Very pretty. And $50 is a pretty cheap date these days.

Don't get me wrong. $50 isn't a whole lot of money, but it seems a bit pricey for a color upgrade on a Yamaha FG700 ($199 natural /$249 burst - 20% charge). The FG720 is only $30 more and it comes in 4 different colors at the same $279 price and it comes with neck binding. The FG730 is only $30 more for a burst finish ($299 natural / $329 burst - 10% charge).

With that being said, $50 wouldn't stop me from buying the FG700 if I preferred the burst finish. I just found their pricing a bit curious.

• Members

Is there any more differences between 720 and 730 than the colors and prices? Would those $30 give me a better guitar?

I think so, by a bit. Try them back-to-back in a store if you can.

IMO, the Yamaha FG730S is the best of the sub-$500 dreads.

The 720 sounds like the 700 (very good, mind you -- they're essentially the same guitar). The 730 sounds "richer" (probably due to the rosewood vs. nato back/side wood). It also has a tad more bling and slightly nicer binding.

• Members

Is there any more differences between 720 and 730 than the colors and prices? Would those $30 give me a better guitar?

I purchased an FG730S from GC just yesterday. The tonal difference between the 730 and the 700 was obvious. They had no 720s that I could do a comparison with.

There were four 730 guitars in the store and I played them against each other in the classical room so I wouldn't be disturbed. It took me 35 minutes to find the best sounding one.

One of the 730s had a back and sides that looked as if it was Brazilian Rosewood but there was this peculiar ringing of the 2nd string when it was played open. It might have just been the string's seating at the nut but I wanted to just go for a sure thing.

Archived