What's the deal with Yamaha's finish?

kwakatak

• Members

I have a friend who owns several Yamahas of various vintages. He's turned my opinion around about somewhat enough that I check out the new ones in my local mom&pop shop. Well, I've noticed something about all Yammies that I'd like to get others' opinion of: the finish around the neck joint is rather sloppy. It looks like there's actually a milky bead of glue along the outside of the joint.

My Tak has something like this as well, though that's because it is a bead of glue that's holding the neck on the guitar. It was done at my request to a luthier for a reasonable price that was much less than the cost of a neck reset.

I'm wondering what type of process they use for their finishes though? It's not really a red flag per se, but there's also something to be said about a flawless joining at the neck. I look for that on other guitars and take it as a good sign of a guitar's workmanship.

• Members

Any particular series, or all Yamaha's?

I just got an FG720S 12-string. In my mind's eye right now, I don't recall seeing anything out of the ordinary. But I'll take a look at it again shortly (after my wife gets up) and I'll let you know what I see.

• Members

Here's mine. Not the best picture and you have to account for the glare. It looks like there could be a differing shade to the finish within an 1/8" or less of the actual joint, but when I look at it from many angles, I don't see it. The picture suggests there's something, but I can't see it when I inspect it with my own eyes.

DSCF5140.jpg

• Members

Here's mine. Not the best picture and you have to account for the glare. It looks like there could be a differing shade to the finish within an 1/8" or less of the actual joint, but when I look at it from many angles, I don't see it.

Well, the neck has a satin finish and the body has a gloss finish. The gloss finish overlaps the neck's satin finish by slightly less than 1mm. Is this what we're talking about?

• Members

That looks exactly like a "milky bead of glue" as described by Kwak. I have seen that on a few guitars and came to the same conclusion. I used to build furniture as a hobby and that is exactly what you see from excess glue. Stain/finish will not absorb into the wood, or it will cloud the stain if applied over it.

• Members

Well, the neck has a satin finish and the body has a gloss finish. The gloss finish overlaps the neck's satin finish by slightly less than 1mm. Is this what we're talking about?

Not from what Kwak describes. But it's also hard to detect how much, if any, of the satin finish of the neck actually does overlap onto the gloss finish of the body.

• Members

That looks exactly like a "milky bead of glue" as described by Kwak. I have seen that on a few guitars and came to the same conclusion.

The glare makes the picture suggest a milky bead, but as I said, when I look at it with my eyes from all kinds of angles and light, I honestly don't see anything. I was hoping I could come up with a better picture. I did it as a quickie so I'll have to get some good light and use the manual focus and see what I can come up with.

• Members

(...)

But I'll take a look at it again shortly (after my wife gets up) and I'll let you know what I see.

I'm sorry, I'm intrigued by this. Why wait until your wife gets up? Does your wife keep the guitar with her when she sleeps to prevent you playing it at ungodly hours or what? ;)

• Members

I'm sorry, I'm intrigued by this. Why wait until your wife gets up? Does your wife keep the guitar with her when she sleeps to prevent you playing it at ungodly hours or what?
;)

Nah. We work at home. I get up really early so I can be done in the early afternoon and she starts later so she sleeps later. The guitar is in it's case in the bedroom. I was being a good hubby and respecting her slumber. She got up though and that's when I took the picture.

• Members

Click on the image below.

Now this picture suggests that there's something there, but a bead of glue? Nah.

It looks like the glossy finish is built up in the crook of the joint, but since the neck is a different finish, the buildup ends. Almost like the satin finish on the neck was done after the neck was joined to the body.

• Members

It looks like the glossy finish is built up in the crook of the joint, but since the neck is a different finish, the buildup ends. Almost like the satin finish on the neck was done after the neck was joined to the body.

Actually, from the actual instrument, the gloss finish of the body overlaps the satin finish of the neck. So my conclusion is that the gloss buffing was done after the neck was joined to the body.

• Members

Actually, from the actual instrument, the gloss finish of the body overlaps the satin finish of the neck. So my conclusion is that the gloss buffing was done after the neck was joined to the body.

You're right. What I was meaning to say is that then, after the gloss was done, then the neck was finished, thereby eliminating the overlap on the neck side of the joint.

1. join neck to body

2. put gloss finish on body

3. put satan finish on neck

Right?

• Members

1. join neck to body

2. put gloss finish on body

3. put satin finish on neck

Right?

I believe that the necks and bodies have their finishes applied separately. My guess is that the process goes like this.

1. finish neck in satin

2. finish body in gloss

3. join neck to body

4. apply extra gloss finish at seam (with tape on satin finish)

5. remove tape after drying

6. buff seam to smooth transition from gloss to satin

I think Kwak's bubble observations might be an isolated case unless he's describing something different from what we're observing.

• Members

I believe that the necks and bodies have their finishes applied separately. My
guess
is that the process goes like this.

1. finish neck in satin

2. finish body in gloss

3. join neck to body

4. apply extra gloss finish at seam (with tape on satin finish)

5. remove tape after drying

6. buff seam to smooth transition from gloss to satin

I think Kwak's bubble observations might be an isolated case unless he's describing something different from what we're observing.

Just checked my little stockpile and no indication of finish problems, but I'd say the above appraisal is just about spot on. :thu:

• Members

I'm so blinded that I find it hard to see value in a lot of other brands.

:love: :love: :love:

Seriously, Yammies have their own special tone and I find them to be excellent values. There are other brands and models that I always consider ... but that's because I want their particular tone (like a Masterbilt AJ, a Gibson SJ, a Martin D-18, a Taylor Big Baby, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera).

• Members

You folks from the UK and your penchant for understatement ...

;)

:thu:

I own and enjoy playing all of my guitars, but I've yet to have a Yamaha let me down in terms of build or their downright consistant ability to deliver the goods every single time. Regardless of climate or weather conditions.

Archived