Masterbilt gloss top, hog dred, no case: advice?

T0MCAT

• Members

Found a new one for $280. No dings, sounds nice, decent bass, plays nice.

Should I try to get a masterbilt case? Will I need a case with this all wood guitar? Or is the maintenance going to be a pain? I have an Ovation now and it's never been a problem and sits in a stand all year, so I'm lazy and don't want a guitar that will cast me a bunch of cash to keep set up and all that.

Is this worth it or should I hold off for a rosewood masterbilt with a case and all the other stuff that comes with it? I'd like a Taylor 400 or 500, but $2000 vs $300 is a big dif. And the Epi Masterbilt pretty much holds it's own to the Taylors I've played, esp for $1600 less!!!!!!!

280 for that guitar is a temptation, just worried I will have problems without a case and humidification.

thanks

• Members

I would suggest you buy a generic dread hardcase for like $50 and get a humidifier if you need one. You can easily make a humidifier out of a sponge and plastic zip bag with holes in it and put it in the case. For a $280 guitar it's not a lot of work. I mean...if you really like that guitar. ;)

• Members

Thanks, OGP. Do you think my unused gig bag would do so I can really go cheap. Or will I need the hard case?

Then maybe save a bit for a Taylor or a Martin later.

Also do Masterbilts still have bone nuts and saddles?

• Members

Really, for $280, verses the other guitars in that range: Yamahas and Takamines, ect (which also come case-less), this MB blows them away sound wise.

I am craving a nice wood sounding acoustic, and have a hard time with the idea of shelling out 1000 to 2000 thousand dollars. That's a lot of cash and a big bite out of my savings.

I'll go back this morning and play it and then decide...hopefully it's still there. This hog sounded good, a lot sound too bright IMO.

• Members

Thanks, OGP. Do you think my
unused gig bag would do
so I can really go cheap. Or will I need the hard case?

Then maybe save a bit for a Taylor or a Martin later.

Also do Masterbilts still have bone nuts and saddles?

Yes a gigbag will do for storage or if you are only transporting it across town on the bus or safely in a car. When I am not playing the Taylor 114 I keep it in it's gigbag with the sponge in a baggie thing. I use a small damp sponge into a small zip bag (with holes) and hang it in the soundhole from one of the strings using a small plastic/wire thingy you use on garbage bags. Just check the sponge every once in awhile. I will eventually get a hardcase for the Taylor since I am not a huge fan of gigbags except for at home storage. I like to transport my guitars in a hardcase.

• Members

If the guitar sounds good then yes...good deal.

Don't worry about the case...and your gig bag will work for now. Make a homemade humidifier from a sponge and baggie or soap dish.

Do you know the humidty in the room you are going to store the guitar? You should...

Keep an eye on Craigslist for a hard case.

I got this one last night - $35 :) I'm using it for may office guitar.

case.jpg

• Members

Thanks all, I bought it. I'll check around for a used case.

I have an Ovation which I do love, but I've been craving that wood warmth. And I've wanted a Masterbilt for years (had one and sold it). For 280.00, I really couldn't go too wrong. It's a nice sounding specimen as well: very loud, it has some decent low end for a hog, and not excessively bright. I'm satisfied!

• Members

Thanks all, I bought it.

I have an Ovation which I do love, but I've been craving that wood warmth. And I've wanted a Masterbilt for years (had one and sold it). For 280.00, I really couldn't beat it. It's a nice sounding specimen too: very loud, it has some decent low end for a hog, and not excessively bright. I'm satisfied!

Congratulations. That is a very good deal for a Masterbilt. Enjoy! :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the tip. That looks just like the regular Epi Masterbilt cases.

That is in fact the very case that was standard with the entire line until a couple years ago. You can get by with a decent gig bag if you are careful. Cases like the one in the photo (hybrids) are a great compromise between hard case protection and a gig bags lightness.

I have a couple and use them alot. I also own a Masterbilt AJ-500M. Get the Epi---that's a great price!

• Members

I'm not aware of where your located but in the past I"ve bought hard cases from this guy (out of Washington State) on ebay - http://stores.ebay.com/Music-Warehouse-USA_Hardcases_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQpZ2QQtZkm At the time it was cost effective for me... he sold hard cases for 30/40 bucks and shipping was reasonable. Depending on your location this may be an option. Oh, he sales soft cases too.

• Members

I just bought one of these for my son's Masterbuilt. Fits the guitar like a glove. Has a built in hygrometer.

I also just got the same case for my Masterbitl AJ-500M. It is a very nice case for the 59.00 it costs. I could not believe it when it showed up. The guitar fits like a glove as well.

• Members

Thanks all, I bought it. I'll check around for a used case.

I have an Ovation which I do love, but I've been craving that wood warmth. And I've wanted a Masterbilt for years (had one and sold it). For 280.00, I really couldn't go too wrong. It's a nice sounding specimen as well: very loud, it has some decent low end for a hog, and not excessively bright. I'm satisfied!

Congrats! For that price it'd be too hard to pass up for such a nice guitar.

Enjoy it in good health!

• Members

Found a new one for $280. No dings, sounds nice, decent bass, plays nice.

Should I try to get a masterbilt case? Will I need a case with this all wood guitar? Or is the maintenance going to be a pain? I have an Ovation now and it's never been a problem and sits in a stand all year, so I'm lazy and don't want a guitar that will cast me a bunch of cash to keep set up and all that.

Is this worth it or should I hold off for a rosewood masterbilt with a case and all the other stuff that comes with it? I'd like a Taylor 400 or 500, but $2000 vs $300 is a big dif. And the Epi Masterbilt pretty much holds it's own to the Taylors I've played, esp for $1600 less!!!!!!!

280 for that guitar is a temptation, just worried I will have problems without a case and humidification.

thanks

I think you have already answered your own question. $2000 vs. $300 is a big difference of which there will not be 6x the price difference in tone and playability.

Masterbuilt is a tone machine at a lower price.

Archived