I need a Ukulele!

Oklo

• Members

I'm craving a ukulele so bad...but I don't know where to start. I'm fairly broke right now, but I could pawn/sell an old guitar. I have a glittery purple Talmen TCY-15 (acoustic electric) ...could this get me a decent quality uke? Any ukulele recomendations?

• Members

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OU2-Ukulele?sku=514014

Picked up this one for my wife hoping she'd get into music but it was a "no go" so I gave it to my middle Grandson, who had been wanting a Uke for a few months. Worked out pretty good for him,LOL. Price wasn't too bad, decent quality, nothing fancy but once you get the strings stretched in it does play and sound pretty good. Be aware that the saprano case offered by OS won't fit this Uke but the Kases will.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kaces-Concert-Ukulele-Bag?sku=550004

Good luck. :thu:

• Members

Sorry your wife didn't get in to the uke!

No problem, her loss is my Grandson's gain. He's actually starting to get it a bit. He's learning a couple songs I downloaded and printed out for him. It'll be nice to have another musician in the family besides just me. After he learns Uke for a while and I'm sure he's getting into playing I'm thinking about graduating him up to guitar. I'll either give him my AA13 or pick up something for him to play on.

• Members

I recently bought my archtop tenor from Musicguymic (MGM). I didn't want to deal with ebay, so I called him! And he is wonderful to do business with. Many of his ukes are set up by him so they arrive ready to play.

Since mine is Kala, I'll recommend Kala. This is actually my second MGM uke. The first one was a mahogany pineapple soprano uke with the old-style friction tuners. It's good lil uke.

You really need to decide on a size: soprano, concert, or tenor -- all of which use the "My Dog Has Fleas" traditional tuning. I played my pineapple soprano for about a year or so and it served me well, but once I got my tenor -- :eek: a world of difference. I've been playing guitar for quite a while and the tenor feels much more comfortable in hands. I've played a concert yet, but it could work out. If possible, try out a few sizes.

btw, Jake Shimabukuro plays a tenor. ;)

Here's my review of my archtop tenor.

• Members

No problem, her loss is my Grandson's gain. He's actually starting to get it a bit. He's learning a couple songs I downloaded and printed out for him. It'll be nice to have another musician in the family besides just me. After he learns Uke for a while and I'm sure he's getting into playing I'm thinking about graduating him up to guitar. I'll either give him my AA13 or pick up something for him to play on.

Very cool! How old is your grandson? I'm sure he'll be playing the geetar in no time!

• Members

I recently bought my archtop tenor from
Musicguymic
(MGM). I didn't want to deal with ebay, so I called him! And he is wonderful to do business with. Many of his ukes are set up by him so they arrive ready to play.

Since mine is Kala, I'll recommend
Kala
. This is actually my second MGM uke. The first one was a mahogany pineapple soprano uke with the old-style friction tuners. It's good lil uke.

You really need to decide on a size: soprano, concert, or tenor -- all of which use the "My Dog Has Fleas" traditional tuning. I played my pineapple soprano for about a year or so and it served me well, but once I got my tenor --
:eek:
a world of difference. I've been playing guitar for quite a while and the tenor feels much more comfortable in hands. I've played a concert yet, but it could work out. If possible, try out a few sizes.

btw, Jake Shimabukuro plays a tenor.
;)

Here's my review of my archtop tenor.

Thanks for the info... I have heard very good things about Kalas! I will be sure to check the link you posted :)

• Members

I got this pineapple last night.It was $44 at my local store.It's a Lanikai LU 21P.It is pretty well made.Came with Aquila strings which sound great. They had a cheaper model the LU 11(not a pineapple) for $29 but that one had brass frets and GHS strings which sounded a lot duller that the Aquilas .I also bought a copy of "Jumpin'Jim's Ukulele Tips and Tricks" so I could learn how to play this thing.

100_3568.jpg

100_3565.jpg

100_3569.jpg

• Members

I definitely did! I'm waiting to collect $$, but so far I think he has the best deals as far as ebay goes! I'm really considering some of those kalas

Also check out the Makalas.

One reviewer gave a favorable analogy: Makalas are to Kalas what Squiers are to Fenders. So, good deals are available across the board.

Archived