fingerboard question

Guitarplay

• Members

Remove the strings and carefully clean your fingerboard with 0000 steel wool in the direction of the grain. Then, sparingly apply some oil with a clean cloth. You just need a drop or two. Wipe off excess oil and buff with a dry cloth. Now, your fingerboard will probably be uniform in colour.

• Members

Body oils from hands often discolour fingerboards.

A good method for applying lemon oil to fingerboards is if you use a 1" x 1.5" rectangle of soft washing-up sponge as an applicator. A few drops onto the sponge and the fingerboard is easily oiled before wiping off residue with a soft cotton cloth. :thu:

• Members

I use a couple drops of lemon oil on a SOFT paper-towel and do the fingerboard when changing strings (i.e. when the strings are off).

FastFret after every (or every-other) use will help keep it from discoloring (and keep the strings and frets clean/smooth) too. (Thanks a TON for that tip, Gary -- love FastFret!). :thu:

• Members

Fret Doctor is the ONLY thing I'll use on bare ebony or rosewood. Trust me on this one.
:D

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm#

That sounds like interesting stuff.. I might have to check it out when I run out of my fender fredboard conditioner, and since I accidentally dumped it out on my workbench it will be sooner than later...

• Members

I use a couple drops of lemon oil on a SOFT paper-towel and do the fingerboard when changing strings (i.e. when the strings are off).

FastFret after every (or every-other) use will help keep it from discoloring (and keep the strings and frets clean/smooth) too. (Thanks a TON for that tip, Gary -- love FastFret!).
:thu:

Good to know you're happy with Fast Fret mate. :thu:

• Members

You don't say if it's always been like this, or did it just sort of become apparant over time? If it's always been there it may be one of those natural variations you'll have to learn to love. Otherwise a little (very little) oil will do the trick.

Archived