OK, what's my style?

kwakatak

• Members

Greymuzzle covers the play-for-pay angle nicely. You, being your own worst enemy, probably feel you need to be highly polished to meet your own standards. There are days you do and others you feel you're kidding no one but yourself. The latter becomes the more convincing self-deception and you withdraw your bid to seek paying gigs. Moreover, the work entailed to create a polished repertoire is huge considering the time you have to devote to it. You shrink from it altogether but the fires continue to burn. Okay, now that I've described myself what's your excuse?

LOL. Pretty much the same thing. I hung it up about 15 years ago but got back into it about 5 years ago and the urge to progress as a musician from a hobbyist to something more serious has steadily grown. Especially since I walked away from a posh corporate job in mortgage processing. ;)

• Members

What to play really depends on the gig. Most gigs you really gotta play what the people want to hear, ie, it's all about "them". For a few gigs, you might have more freedom and so it can be more about "you".

When I'm playing solo guitar, I'm more of a "it's all about what pleases me" type of musician, so I probably would not do so well at that in a commercial setting. I do enjoy playing electric guitar in ensembles and in those situations, I can have a lot of fun playing crowd pleasing music.

I was actually only envisioning playing ambient music in a coffee shop setting or something similar like a restaurant. I'm not really craving anything calls for a whole lot of attention, though it'd be nice to chat it up with people. Too bad I can't talk and play at the same time. :facepalm:

• Members

Ok, here's my take:

If it were me, I'd "choose" a style that maybe has some sort of "connection" to my own particular set of circumstances, whatever they may be. I guess that way, the "heartfelt" part comes out even more. And also probably more "material".

You asked for "help" and I call'em as I see'em, so don't take this the wrong way, the only "negative" thing that I've noticed in your performances -and please people don't flame me for this- is a certain "detachment" or "non-chalence" toward the material on your part. Or maybe a certain lack of "energy". It's not a skill/vocal criticism at all.

In fact, I think your query here is quite indicative of why I've gotten that from you cuz you yourself are kind of "searching" and that's why I haven't gotten a "fully committed" feel from your submissions thus far.

Otherwise, it's all good and carry on. And don't pay any attent'n to me, what do I know really?

LOL! I can kind of see where you're coming from. Truth be told I don't have a lot of energy and my videos are usually shot when I'm under some sort of stress. So in effect those videos are sort of tests of my ability to play through a piece while NOT being totally committed. Does that make any sense?

• Members

Exactly. The venue / audience will determine what type of material you should cover.

The average person seems to like pop music the best. It's music they know.

Instrumentals seem to be only appreciated by fellow musicians.

I dunno. I just want to help set the atmosphere someplace where folks go to unwind and/or feed back off the vibe. I don't want to lead singalongs or anything like that. :idk:

Jeez, the more I think of it the less I want to sing. Heck, I'd rather that I only sing amongst friends.

BTW, recently my wife and I were out with friends at a local Irish Pub. We were all there to see this band that sings Irish tunes and generally just yuk it up with the audience between songs. Between sets my wife let it slip that I play guitar a lot at home. It never comes up in conversation so I've never talked about it much with this group, but they seemed surprised and egged me on to go up while the band was on break and play a couple of tunes. I picked two at random (which weren't Irish drinking songs BTW) and quaked in my shoes the whole time. To my surprise they really enjoyed it, even though I felt like a fish out of water. For my part I actually tuned out halfway through the second song and sort of got out of my own way - otherwise my nerves would have made me totally screw up.

• Members

LOL! I can kind of see where you're coming from. Truth be told I don't have a lot of energy and my videos are usually shot when I'm under some sort of stress. So in effect those videos are sort of tests of my ability to play through a piece while NOT being totally committed. Does that make any sense?

Yes it does, in fact. "Practice run" and all that. So then, there you are. Now you need to get yourself the 21 or 35 already, post another video and get goin' damnit.....

• Members

Good advice so far, seems to me. Another possibility, if you haven't thought of it, are Wine Shops for tastings. I say that because I have been going to tastings for many years (Always on the lookout for the perfect sub 10.00 bottle of Cab) and recently have been seeing more and more solo acoustic players doing a background gig. I talked to the guy last week, forgot his name, and he marketed himself online, charges 75.00 bucks for the couple hours. Four Saturdays=300 simoleans. This gig has to be for the money, not fame or recognition, but also good for networking in to other things. You never know who might be buying wine that day. Just my 2 cents.

SteveO alluded to something like that. Unfortunately, here in Pennsylvania you can only purchase wine from state-run liquor stores which aren't the most posh of watering holes. I've been to wineries in NY and Ontario though and would totally love to do such a gig. I don't know of anything similar in this area though, other than maybe a coffee house gig. Different vibe, though. Everybody's wired at the local coffee shops, not mellow at all.

• Members

That is a pretty fair call. There are some instrumentals that can mimic the lyric melody with good results but that is where artistry can be lost on an audience that isn't appreciative of art. Change the audience and change the result. Writing 101 - Know your audience.

Crap. I'm gonna have to learn more country and western songs or Irish drinking tunes or whatever then. Pittsburgh is pretty much culturally dead. Even native son and famed jazz musician George Benson hardly plays here anymore.

• Members

Bah! Flattery! Compliment graciously accepted but I really
don't
take music seriously and I think that might be my golden parachute.

What is serious anyway? The point of becoming accomplished or the point of playing something, anything the audience readily recognizes? Or, are those not to be confused in the context of an audience?

Maybe that's my blessing AND my curse. I'm not looking for accolades yet I'm also looking for some way of expressing myself, that's all. The whole issue of finding out what the audience wants does bear serious consideration though. I do need to know what is gonna get me that proverbial second gig.

Of course, at this point I could also see myself being satisfied playing muzak at Starbucks.

• Members

You've certainly got the skills for that (and beyond).

Now......good luck finding the gig!
:)

There are a few coffee shops within 10 minutes of my house. They're actually closer than the open mics in the area. Up a little further north there are neighborhoods with little business districts with several sizable sit-down restaurants. My local music store is in one such neighborhood, but judging by the turnout in the open mic there I've got some serious competition. Heck, even my local mega-supermarket has live music on Saturday during the brunch hours. In fact, I've heard a lot of jazzy stuff there.

• Members

Yes it does, in fact. "Practice run" and all that. So then, there you are. Now you need to get yourself the 21 or 35 already, post another video and get goin' damnit.....

Hehe - again, what to wear? I think I need to light some more candles too for some ambiance. :cool:

;)

• Members

There are a few coffee shops within 10 minutes of my house. They're actually closer than the open mics in the area. Up a little further north there are neighborhoods with little business districts with several sizable sit-down restaurants. My local music store is in one such neighborhood, but judging by the turnout in the open mic there I've got some serious competition. Heck, even my local mega-supermarket has live music on Saturday during the brunch hours. In fact, I've heard a lot of jazzy stuff there.

There you go.......a business opportunity...........carpe diem!

• Members

So it's late and I can't sleep, so take this for what it is worth. At our supermarkets there are guys playing by the door. They have permission, and in fact due to the competition for the spots, they get like 2 hrs, then they gotta let the next guy in. When I walk by, I see many paper dollars in the case, or jar, and in fact toss some in myself. No pressure, no one to please but yourself. I don't think it is a requirement to be homeless, or down on your luck, just willing to put yourself out there. Play what you want, no worries about style, and you will notice what gets compensated, and what is ignored. No time commitments, come and go when you can.

Take your guitar, a stool (milk crates work too, I noticed), sit down and play. Do it for the playing, not the money.(Leave your case open just in case.) Anywhere there are people, there is opportunity. Be a traveling minstrel.

• Members

There are a few coffee shops within 10 minutes of my house. They're actually closer than the open mics in the area. Up a little further north there are neighborhoods with little business districts with several sizable sit-down restaurants. My local music store is in one such neighborhood, but judging by the turnout in the open mic there I've got some serious competition.
Heck, even my local mega-supermarket has live music on Saturday during the brunch hours. In fact, I've heard a lot of jazzy stuff there.

Now you have a place to start. But don't fret about how you compare to what you've heard there. It's not an open mic where you have a captive audience listening to performer after performer. At the store, you've got passers-by who are only listening to you. They may have heard the guy last week, or the week before, but most will only remember that they liked or disliked what they heard. They won't remember enough to be critical of your playing. They will hear the pleasant sounds coming from you and will walk away with the same general feeling as last week.

With this post, and a few others, you've indicated the type of venue you'd like to play and have said you would prefer background playing. Great! You've actually taken steps to define your style. If that is what is getting your juices flowing, then follow that path. You can always do something different after a while. You have to start somewhere.

Do what you feel comfortable with first. You will get the most out of it.

• Members

I always loved STeve Gooman's playing style.....but by practicing it, it helped me find my own. No ones style is totally unique. I could only say, play what you like to play and the hell with the rest of it. You will get good, really good playing what you enjoy...it won't steer you wrong.

Archived