The Celtic Guitar on YouTube appreciation thread

ChiyoDad

• Members

The recent posts from garthman and from MattSkibaIsGOD inspired me to start this thread.

:)

Below are my current favorites.

:love:

Feel free to add yours!

I do have an ulterior motive to this topic in that I hope to find more pieces to add to my someday-I-will-learn-THAT list.

PLANXTY IRWIN

[YOUTUBE]yhV9opEYB-A[/YOUTUBE]

PLANXTY HEWLETT

[YOUTUBE]mY2hiJPPppQ[/YOUTUBE]

O'CAROLAN'S CONCERTO (Abbreviated)

[YOUTUBE]hq1KLOQluSQ[/YOUTUBE]

THE SOUTH WIND

[YOUTUBE]CXrJXeF_SMM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

MattS posted a clip above of the great Micheael O'Domhnaill (of the brilliant "Bothy Band" who in my book are even better than Planxty) doing "As I Roved Out". Here is another song from him - the beautiful "Tiocfaidh an Samhradh":

[YOUTUBE]lHyCRE5pesI[/YOUTUBE]

And here is another from the Bothy Band with the lovely Triona ni Domhnaill taking the vocal on "Do you love an apple".

[YOUTUBE]UkUHzMf2rk4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Welsh folk music is hard to come by but here is our lovely Cerys Matthews doing a slightly upbeat version of Lisa Lan - an old song, as you will discern from its modal qualities.

[YOUTUBE]vI6KK22MuMk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

PS. A nice bit of E-bow work on the electric guitar.

• Members

I have some cool tracks from Duck Baker and Pierre Bensusan on this killer CD called Celtic Fingerstyle Vol. 1: Ramble to Cashel. It also features Martin Simpson, Pat Kirtley, El McMeen, and others. :thu:

while this one is more of a vocal piece, Steve Cooney does play guitar on it.

[YOUTUBE]ToRMTFIVg-M[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Aye, but be warned, it is the world's slowest forum. There is almost no traffic.

Part of that is because Cams (the site owner) made registration a bit difficult due to spam attacks (and it looks like they have only one extra moderator). I think he has a better system in place now that he upgraded the forum software.

Even as it is, there's a good amount of material in there.

Archived