Good guitar for ~$300? Recommendations please!

Kat73

• Members

My friend decided that he wants to start playing the guitar and his wife wants to buy him one for his birthday. She wants to spend about $300. It's been forever and a day since I've shopped for an acoustic. Any particularly good guitars that you'd recommend for around that price? Any recommendations would be most appreciated!

• Members

Scan through these threads. You should find some pretty good recommendations in them.

Guitar for 400.00?

Guitar for under 2000.00?

Which guitar should I get on a low budget?

Recommend a Guitar?

Poll for a guitar with a preamp?

Best 200.00 budget acoustic?

Probably the number one recommendation you will find is the Yamaha FG700S at about $199.00.

Good luck!

• Members

Scan through these threads. You should find some pretty good recommendations in them.

Guitar for 400.00?

Guitar for under 2000.00?

Which guitar should I get on a low budget?

Recommend a Guitar?

Poll for a guitar with a preamp?

Best 200.00 budget acoustic?

Probably the number one recommendation you will find is the Yamaha FG700S at about $199.00.

Good luck!

And the number one recommendation for a $300 guitar will be the Yamaha FG730S. :thu:

• Members

I took my FG730S outside last night for just short of an hour...cold beer, flowers and trees bloomin' all around, kids playing in the yard, and me dorking up with voice...:thu:

No matter...the guitar sounds great. It strums and fingers just fine. Great tone.

• Members

As noted, the default reply in your friend's price range will be Yamaha. However, don't overlook Alvarez, Cort, Epiphone, Takamine, Samick, Walden (if you can find a dealer), Washburn, etc. I'd also recommend shopping used at that rpice point. Your local Craigslist should have a few guitars worth checking out, maybe some real bargains.

• Members

I don't know wether this guitar is available where you live but the ibanez aw-40 has an impressive spec for the price. I got one for myself about 6 months ago and it plays brilliantly. Its cost me

• Members

As noted, the default reply in your friend's price range will be Yamaha. However, don't overlook Alvarez, Cort, Epiphone, Takamine, Samick, Walden (if you can find a dealer), Washburn, etc. I'd also recommend shopping used at that rpice point. Your local Craigslist should have a few guitars worth checking out, maybe some real bargains.

Skip Epiphone. Masterbuilts are ok but out of the price you mentioned. Epi's cheap stuff are toys!

Yamaha is king of value for the dollar. FG730s as mentioned is the goods.

The Yamaha F335 is a great starter guitar and ony $150 That way they will have dough for a case, tuner...........

• Members

I owned MANY new and used guitars in the $200 - $300 range: Alvarez, Washburn, Tanglewood, Seagull, Yamaha and a few others.

The current Yamaha FG700 Series (FG700, FG720, FG730, FG735, FG750) are my hands down favorite in that range.

• Members

We just got back from Guitar Center. After looking at the Yamaha FG700 and FG730, a few Takamine models, my friend picked out a Seagull Entourage for her husband.

The Seagull is a very nice sounding and smooth playing guitar. I was pushing her towards the Yamahas until I mentioned that they were made in China while the Seagull was made in Canada. That tipped the scale towards the Seagull. My friend would rather buy things made in North America rather than China and is skeptical of Chinese quality control after the whole lead issue. Plus, she liked the way the Seagull looked better.

I was disappointed that Guitar Center doesn't carry Washburn or Alvarez guitars. I was really looking forward to playing the Washburn D10 and trying out a few Alvarez's since I have never played one of those before. Oh well.

It was definitely a fun morning over at Guitar Center. I got to play a bunch of guitars and help my friend's wife pick out a guitar for my friend's birthday. Now I just need to find a guitar song book made for beginners.

Thanks again for all of your help and guidance.

Archived