Martin Road Series

kwakatak

• Members

Anybody own one? There's all this talk of Yamahas, Seagulls, Masterbilts, Blueridges, Guild GADs, Taylor 100/200 series, Martin's own reissue of the 1 series - even of old Sigmas and Z***** - but very rarely do I hear of the Martin Road series - particularly the DR (rosewood.)

I've been impressed by the D-21 Special, HD-28, D-35, HD-35 and even the $7K America's Guitar (limited) but the DR held its own IMO - even over the D-16R IMO.

Sure, I've been tempted by those other Martins, the current rage of Yamahas, Breedlove Atlases and countless other guitars but I like the Martin tone and want something that's as durable as my old Tak (which does not have that Martin tone)

BTW, I've tried a few X series. They have that Martin tone but there's a glassy quality (or "after" tone) that isn't in any of the other "real wood" Martins. It's kinda like drinking Diet Pepsi when you'd settle for an RC Cola. :idk:

PPS: the new Martin 1 series are coming out but they don't appear to come in rosewood which is my preferred "flavor" so I'm likely to pass on them as well. Besides, I need something that's gonna take a beating from my kids too but with a solid top for superior tone.

• Members

Ok, now I can only conclude that you must have had really bad luck -and bad strings- or something with some of the other Martins that you've tried. Or at least the 16GT. Cuz now you're kind of moving "down" the ladder.

Because honestly -and while this is just IMHO, there's nevertheless quite a few related threads currently in other sites which "corroborate" my findings- a good 16 is really good. I can't stress this enough.

That said, I know you don't like them. So I'll just "sit on the sidelines", see how this one plays out.

Btw, did you finally get to play the D21 (vs. 18A thread)?

• Members

I have a DM with a Highlander pickup which I use to play live - it's awesome. I record with it too. It has a nice woody, open tone. I also have a D16, D-18 golden era and a 00-21 Kingston Trio. Sometimes the DM is just the sound I am looking for. A great value for money guitar!

• Members

Ok, now I can only conclude that you must have had really bad luck -and bad strings- or something with some of the other Martins that you've tried. Or at least the 16GT. Cuz now you're kind of moving "down" the ladder.

Because honestly -and while this is just IMHO, there's nevertheless quite a few related threads currently in other sites which "corroborate" my findings- a good 16 is really good. I can't stress this enough.

That said, I know you don't like them. So I'll just "sit on the sidelines", see how this one plays out.

Btw, did you finally get to play the D21 (vs. 18A thread)?

I don't hate them. They're just "meh" in comparison to the 28s and 35s which I can't afford. That being said, I can't afford a 16 either. :o

That's part of the reason why the DR caught my ear. It had that tone but wasn't priced over $1000. Still, being a Martin, even the DR was overpriced IMO - but hey (and I'm gonna get flamed here for my prejudices) it's a Martin.

Throwing the money thing aside, and accepting the tone as a given, another thing that comes into play is the whole durability factor. My Tak is all-laminate and it's had a hard life, yet after all the "el kabongs" and "whoopsees" it hasn't given up the ghost and still plays and sounds pretty good, even though it's a bit quiet compared to the DR. I figure they did something right when they copied it off a Martin so why wouldn't the real thing be able to hold up to such trials - solid top notwithstanding.

As for the X series, I just don't like 'em. There's something creepy about looking into a soundhole and seeing flat black where there should be wood IMO. They sound kinda artificial too. I can't quite explain it but it certainly does "flavor" the tone. The only plus side would be that maybe you could hose out an X series if necessary - believe me, it's necessary in my house. Talk about flavor! :facepalm:

Anyway, the bills are piling up. Money's flying out the window - though it's still coming in too - but I still haven't given up hope. This is just another option in my painstaking search to find the next guitar - if not "the One."

I figured you guys just needed the drama since TN.Frank is no longer around! :poke:

• Members

I have a OOO-M from the Road Series. Bought it new back in the early nineties. Solid spruce top and laminated back and sides. Satin finish. Bridge appears to be unfinished and unsanded. The sound is awesome and very, very balanced to me (a primarily electric player). I think it's a great guitar. When I bought it I wasn't familiar with the body shapes. I was a little bummed that I would get drowned out by dreadnaughts - nothing that a new purchase didn't fix.

• Members

I used to own a D-1, which I regret giving up. It was a little different from the new D-1 - it had a hog neck, solid hog back, lam hog sides. I can't remember what the hell I was thinking when I sold it. Great guitar.

I've played a couple of DMs that sounded great. Definitely had that Martin dread tone. JT has an old 000-1 that is a killer git. Honestly, I wish Martin had brought the 1 series back just the way it was. The people who got hold of them lucked out - except for me, 'cause I'm schtoopit.

Archived