Fingerstyle non-traditional wedding songs? Need reco's.

SamsDaddy

• Members

Hi everyone, I usually post in EG, but need some acoustic advice here. My brother has asked me to play some solo acoustic stuff for his wedding. Specifically, he asked if I could play this Doyle Dykes arrangement of U2's "With or Without You."

[YOUTUBE]L4CR3GoB3YY[/YOUTUBE]

I am working on that and coming along nicely, but I am not a good enough fingerstyle player to learn arrangements like this very quickly.

I am also attempting to learn Tommy Emmanuel's "Angelina" and I foresee that taking me a while too. The problem is, I only have until August 8 to get about 4 songs perfected.

So, I am looking for recommendations for some songs/arrangements that are a little easier to learn quickly and will still sound good unaccompanied by vocals. Perhaps some songs that are "strummier" but still hold the melody, etc. Also, I am looking for more upbeat things similar to the Dykes arrangement in tempo and more in the vein of pop/rock songs, not traditional wedding stuff.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I am starting to stress out that I won't be able to pull off a solo performance in the practice time I have left.

• Members

I really like "Something in the Way She Moves" by James Taylor in that kind of situation.

+1 JT is amazing. I've done other things by James, maybe not all love songs, but they work fingerstyle. If you do something sad, like Fire and Rain, at a wedding, somebody will call you on it, though. Think "Carolina," even "Sweet Baby James" would work fingerstyle in the proper mood.

• Members

I don't know how "fingerstyley" it is but there's also the Lou Rawls song "Forever I Do": http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?artist=14849&vid=155086. "Don't Go Changin'" by Billy Joel also comes to mind. The bride's sister sang it several years ago when my wife's best friend remarried. Here's a link to chords: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/billy_joel/just_the_way_you_are_tab.htm.

• Members

+1 JT is amazing. I've done other things by James, maybe not all love songs, but they work fingerstyle. If you do something sad, like Fire and Rain, at a wedding, somebody will call you on it, though. Think "Carolina," even "Sweet Baby James" would work fingerstyle in the proper mood.

Yeah, not Fire & Rain.

The story behind that one is interesting and pretty typical of JT until he got older and straightened out. He was so out of it on heroin that the line "I just can't remember who to send it to" refers to the fact that he couldn't remember which record label he was working for... :facepalm:

• Members

There are some good recommendations here so far, thanks everyone.

I don't know how "fingerstyley" it is but there's also the Lou Rawls song "Forever I Do":
. "Don't Go Changin'" by Billy Joel also comes to mind. The bride's sister sang it several years ago when my wife's best friend remarried. Here's a link to chords:

I really like the Billy Joel idea. That is a great song and might be something I can work out pretty well. I'll have to see if that get approval from my brother. Actually, I can't think of a much better song at all for the occasion. Thanks a bunch for that one.

Bump for more ideas.... keep 'em coming!

• Members

One option would be to learn a 'system' for making your own fingerstyle arrangements, so as not to be dependent on learning something note-for-note from tab.

A basic melody on top of bass notes could be very effective despite being simple. In the key of A, you can play the bass notes of any I - IV - V song just by using open strings. Then all you have to do is figure out the melody.

If you want to embellish further, you can try to throw in a few notes between the melody and the bass notes. Choosing a member of the right chord usually works, but you have to choose from notes that are within reach obviously.

G major is another key which is good for entry-level fingerstyle arranging. You can reach quite a few melody notes within the open G chord, and you can move up the neck for D and E minor chords (using those open strings as bass notes). You can also find harmonics.

If you're comfortable with playing fingerstyle over barre shapes you have many more options. Otherwise, use keys like A, G, D and C and use a capo for variety.

Archived