Luthiers, did I get hosed?

peachcowboy

• Members

Sent my LL16 in for bone nut and saddle, while he had it he said the frets needed leveling and did that. 2 weeks and 150.00. I firmly believe people should be paid for their work, even friends. The only reason I am questioning is several threads in memory suggested a boning would be around 40 bucks. Put my mind to rest please.....Reasonable?

• Members

Sent my LL16 in for bone nut and saddle, while he had it he said the frets needed leveling and did that. 2 weeks and 150.00. I firmly believe people should be paid for their work, even friends. The only reason I am questioning is several threads in memory suggested a boning would be around 40 bucks. Put my mind to rest please.....Reasonable?

I'm not a luthier, but I've seen someone play one on tv...

A few years ago, I brought a git to an extremely reputable guitar tech in NYC for a setup and the addition of a bone nut and saddle. The cost was about $200. The largest chunk of it was probably for the nut work, which requires some time and skill to get right. A lot of money, but I've been back to the same tech since and wouldn't go anywhere else unless the place burned down.

• Members

Prices I've seen run from $75 for a setup including fret leveling to $100-175 for just the fret level. Locally, a custom made nut by itself runs around $40 for labor plus $5 for the the blank. I haven't priced saddles but figure maybe $20? All told you're looking at:

$75 (minimum) fret level
$45 nut
$20 saddle
----------
$140 total

so $150 isn't out of line. Expensive but not outrageous and 'way better than $175 for just the fret leveling. I'm sure the luthiers will chime in soon and give you a pro's perspective.

• Members

Its way more than I pay here in kalamazoo. But then we are a town thats very rich with highly experienced Luthiers.

I guess its supply and demand ,, and alot of knowing who to go to. to get things done. When gibson left town ,, lots of guys stayed.

• Members

Beats me. What would you charge per hour to do that work? I charge $40.00/hr for consulting work. Would it take me 4 hours to fashion a new nut, saddle and then level the frets? I'd say that was light and you know he checked out the action as well to ensure his work was spot-on. It's a perspective thing but just a wild guess tells me that was a fair price.

Archived