12 String Capo

jlindquist

• Members

12 string players -- what do you use for capos?

The Dunlop Trigger that works fine on my 6 string is completely useless on the 12 string (Taylor 355). Octave strings are basically muted. I know there are a number of offerings from different manufacturers that are supposedly designed for 12 strings. Just wondering what the folks here like, and why.

Thanks.

• Members

Planet Waves 12-er capo is a good one.

On the rare occasions I use a capo, I use a Kyser. Though mine is for a 6-er, it works fine on my 12-er too. Guess it just happens to have a very strong spring. :idk:

• Members

Thanks for the responses.

To the G-7th user -- looks like a quality piece of gear, but I see that it is 2x more expensive than the Planet Waves and Kyser models that others have recommended. While it is still only $40, is there a reason you would recommend spending the extra cash? Have you tried others and found the G-7th to be better?

Thanks again, and kudos to all who post here. This is a very nice forum.

• Members
I'm waiting for my local GC to get the 12 string version of the G7th back in stock. I've got the 6 string version and just love it.

I bought one when my new 12 string arrived.

I hate it and will never use it again. It weighs a ton and it does a crappy job of fretting the octaves.

Want to buy mine?:idea:

• Members

I keep my 12 string tuned down to standard D. I use a capo sometimes on the 2nd fret to bring it back to standard E.

I've used an old ratchet capo (Terry Gould C9) and I've cut shallow grooves (using microfiles) measured to accomodate the width and depth of the E to G main strings at the 2nd fret. These strings fit into the grooves so that the octave strings are capoed with just about the same force as the main strings so I get good intonation. I find I can get away with using it on the 3rd and 4th fret too.

It only took a few minutes to do and works well.

• Members

After using all capos on my 12's through the years (>50), I use the Kyser. I have the deluxe Schubb and it is too noisy (clicks) for quick changes. I have a regular G7th (local GC refuses to stock 12 string model) and have not quite gotten the knack of its operation. You know, the best capo that I can remember thru the years was a Dunlop that had replacable hard, white rubber pieces that the second rubber jaw actually clamped the string to the top of the fret. The tension was supplied by a brass knurled knob that tightened a pressure clamp against the bottom of the neck. The accuracy of placing the capo jaw onto the fret was controlled by two, bent, slidable metal spring contacts against the backside of the fret. Alas, the rubber jaws have worn out and there are no replacements available. Mayby someone here knows where some could be acquired.......Bert Delap

• Members

Ever try the 12 string version? :arg:

Only once, I don't own a 12-string. But I've used all of the G7th range (inc. banjo) except the classical one, and I think they're brilliant. Did you have problems with it?

• Members

Only once, I don't own a 12-string. But I've used all of the G7th range (inc. banjo) except the classical one, and I think they're brilliant. Did you have problems with it?

Yes. It was unusable.

I went back to my old 6-string PW NS, which works just fine.

• Members

Any chance of elaboration? I understand that you're presumably annoyed at getting no joy from an expensive capo, but yours is the only complaint I've ever encountered, so I'm curious.

• Members

It seemed that no matter how hard I squeezed it, the octaves were muted.

The NS is much easier and it works. Put it on, turn the wheel until the octave E rings and Bob's yer uncle. It doesn't pull the strings out of tune either.

With the G7th I had to squeeze it so hard I was afraid it would damage the neck, and it still didn't work. That and the fact that it weighs about a kilo.

It's a diabolical, infernal mechanism. I despise it.

• Members

I use Shubb 12-string capos on my 6-string guitars, since some of my necks are a little wider than most. I like them very much. The additional width works well. I purchased a Kyser 12-string capo too, and while the clip-it-on-the-headstock-when-you're-not-using-it feature is nice, the pressure is too great and it is not adjustable.

Archived