Check out my new Ditson/Martin

RKGIBSON

• Members

When I spotted this guitar in the "GOOD STUFF" room at Dexter Music (Missouri) I was interested in it immediately because of its looks. When I played it I had to have it. It simply is the best sounding accoustic guitar I have ever played. If you get a chance take one for a ride. It is a Ditson Dreadnought 333. It was a special Martin design for Ditson Department Store around 1910, I think I was told, but no record of any being delivered exist. The wide neck suits me well and the big sound is exactly what I like. It has a Adirondack Spruce top and Mahogony sides and back. They make a 111 model that has a light to also.

Roger

• Members

It was made in 2008. The Dexter Music Center is worth the drive if you like upper end stuff. They are 45 miles from me. He has a nice web site also. For Gibson, Martin, Fender and PRS this store is as good as it gets. He also has Gretsch and a lot of Epiphone too. They are nice people. The price is the only this not to like about this guitar, I paid $4500.00. What the hell, my plan is to run out of money the day I die anyway.

Roger

• Members

Very interesting. From an article by Martin historian Mike Longworth: "The very first dreadnought guitars (named for a class of World War I-era British battleships, "Dreadnought") were manufactured by Martin for The Oliver Distribution Company, a publishing firm based in Boston. Curiously enough, the guitars weren't sold with the Martin name on them, but rather were marketed in Boston and New York under the Oliver Ditson brand name, beginning in 1916. These dreadnoughts did not even include a Martin serial number, but instead used Ditson's own serial numbering system. They continued to appear in the Ditson catalog until the company's demise in the late 1920's."

We just keep re-cycling the same old designs, eh?

To read the article. in it's entirety: http://www.themomi.org/museum/articles/Dreadnoughts/Frets_Mart_Dread_Story.html

• Members

Interesting story Guitar Stringer. Attached is a shot of the tuners. There are no markings on the outside of the guitar to indicate it is a Martin. I had to ask what it was when I first saw it. The back of the head stock is stamped with "Oliver Ditson Co. Boston New York". I tried to get a shot of it in the first post.

Roger

Archived