Yamandu Costa tearing up the 7-string

Stackabones

• Members

Wow would be an understatement. He plays almost too fast to follow.

I must say, however, what's the point of the 7th string? I know it's for lower bass notes but he hardly every used it in the whole song. Maybe it's just the song.

That was some extraordinary playing though. I couldn't even dream of playing like that.

Connecting this, in a way, to Misha's thread about playing too slow, as she describes her plight, I think her hand would fall off trying to play this fast. :lol:

• Members

I must say, however, what's the point of the 7th string? I know it's for lower bass notes but he hardly every used it in the whole song. Maybe it's just the song.

The 7-string is typically used as the bass instrument (with chords on top of course) in Brazilian choro ensemble music. The melody instruments are usually a type of mandolin and clarinet. Percussion is handled by a type of tamborine (pandeiro). Sometimes, there's a 2nd guitarist who just plays guitar (no bass lines).

• Members

The 7-string is typically used as the bass instrument (with chords on top of course) in Brazilian choro ensemble music. The melody instruments are usually a type of mandolin and clarinet. Percussion is handled by a type of tamborine (pandeiro). Sometimes, there's a 2nd guitarist who just plays guitar (no bass lines).

Cool! Another choro fan! :cool::thu:

• Members

He played in Abu Dhabi 2 weeks before I arrived.
:(

Although I have to say I'm not a huge huge fan...
:o

I would've gone just to check out his freakish technique. And because it would've been free, since he was playing at the concert venue I do volunteer work for.

But it was my father's birthday. :o

• Members

I would've gone just to check out his freakish technique. And because it would've been free, since he was playing at the concert venue I do volunteer work for.

But it was my father's birthday.
:o

You should have "bought" your father a ticket for his birthday. ;)

And don't get me wrong, I also would have gone. And it would also have been free because... it's the way it is here. :idk:

Which reminds me that I need to check out what's up around here these days (not much for a couple of months, I suppose). I've lost touch after my 5 weeks trip abroad.

• Members

:confused:

He uses it about as much as the low E. :idk:

• Members

I'll second that Wow. I had no idea a seventh string would allow me to be able to play so much better....ya think?

@1:58 and 2:38, and...oh nevermind, it's all absolutely incredible.

Check out the nut on that guitar? And you gotta love those nails.

Archived