So I went to my first non-VOM in abut a year

kwakatak

• Members

My wife's been in a book club that falls on the same night and since it's her only social outlet I kinda gave up on open mics. With my mom being in town though I put the kids to bed and hauled ass out the door. I managed to get in right at the end and did a couple of tunes I considered safe and blew another so completely and utterly that I just quit.

The incriminating evidence is on youtube of course:

[YOUTUBE]jWkJU6sicIc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ublEJWiP84U[/YOUTUBE]

FWIW folks were polite even if I didn't open my eyes at all while singing. RichardSharp, who hosts/videos the OM is always supportive but he does like to give me just a little ribbing to keep me honest. When he saw that I brought my beater he just stopped in his tracks because he hates miking it - it's got a lam top so it's not very loud. So I backed the mic away from my face - he likes to pop me in the nose with it when he sets up - and just sang out louder, pitch be damned. I think the guitar/vocal balance came out pretty good. What do you all think?

BTW, there was a little girl who was on before I got there who belted out a version of "Blue Bayou" that rivaled Linda Ronstadt in her prime:

[YOUTUBE]9ry2hZbJbi4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Outstanding, Kwak. I think the balance worked out great.

The little girl really was awesome. What a set of pipes! A little refinement and she's a star for sure!

There have been a few youngsters - mostly girls - who've got great voices. Most have moved on.

Archived