seagull s6 original vs. yamaha fg730s

twotimingpete

• Members

I was in the same boat as OP just a month ago... after trying out countless guitars, I decided that Masterbilt > Seagull S6 > Yamaha LL6 > FG730 > FG700.

And I got a very good deal on the Masterbilt (bought it at essentially the price of FG730). So... no brainer.

But admittedly, build quality of Masterbilt maybe inconsistent. I tried 6-7 different MBs before finding one that sounds great (which I bought). Or maybe it's GC's fault by not keeping the gits in a good shape.

Anyhow, here's my story:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2364304

• Members

Seagull has a really wide neck. Make sure you like it.

My thoughts exactly. I play a Yamaha then bought a Seagull. Ended up returning the Seagull due to the size of the neck. I just couldn't get used to it. Make sure you play it for a while before you decide.

• Members

My thoughts exactly. I play a Yamaha then bought a Seagull. Ended up returning the Seagull due to the size of the neck. I just couldn't get used to it. Make sure you play it for a while before you decide.

I get so tired of reading comments about Seagull's wide necks. If you don't want a wide neck, then Seagull has models with Slim necks, including the S6!

• Members

Hey gang, you all have valid points indeed, and as a previous owner of a 1997 Seagull s6Cedar (which was played a lot and had opened up !) I can appreciate the awesome sound the s6 puts out (rivals most $1000 guitars and yes its woody sounding and i like that in a guitar!) and yes mine had a 1.8 neck and was Very easy to finger pick, and THIS is where the Seagull excels ! When finger picked each string had a great woody sound, but as a Strummer, all those individual tones would get washed up in comparison to my Yamaha fg730s. Now it IS more articulate than my FG700S, yet not as full sounding in chords (especially the low E string) As for easy of play ? 1.8 vs 1 11/16 and 1 3/4, well Ive played them all and i think its personal preference, and while the Seagull is easier for finger picking, i actually found it just as easy to play Chords on a 1 11/16 neck.

CONCLUSION - Personal style of playing, experience, and Taste, all play factors in ones decision making when considering buying any of these great guitars. Here is a link to my other review

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=1702019&highlight=yamaha+fg700s+vs+fg730s

Archived