Modding acoustic amps?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

Guitarists modding their electric amps go back decades, but I never really hear anything about modding acoustic amps. I'm interested in doing so, and I need someone to steer me to some good resources.

The reason why is my Crate Limo. I really like its portability and the convenience of a built-in battery, and it sounds good, but I want it to sound better. And I think it would be fun to pull it open and tinker around with stuff (I love to tinker).

• Members

Hmm...

You might try asking around in the amp forum. They're more geared towards electric amps, I know, but I'm sure there are probably some folks over there that would be willing to help.

Lol, the reason I'm asking here is because I can't get any replies to that question in the amp forum or the DIY forum. :lol:

• Members

About all I can suggest would be upgrading the speakers...the amp is very clean/hi-fi as it is, so I doubt you can improve on that aspect.

The FX are OK, but maybe they can be tweaked a little.

I've been pondering a outboard "solar panel thingy" for charging it up while busking, myself...something to plug into the 12v input, most likely.

• Members

Guitarists modding their electric amps go back decades, but I never really hear anything about modding acoustic amps. I'm interested in doing so, and I need someone to steer me to some good resources.

The reason why is my Crate Limo. I really like its portability and the convenience of a built-in battery, and it sounds good, but I want it to sound better. And I think it would be fun to pull it open and tinker around with stuff (I love to tinker).

There's a guy over in the amps forum who goes by Casey4s...he's an amp guru and could probably give you some advice...he's helped me out before with mods. Whatever you do, be very careful, even unplugged an amps filter caps can store lethal amounts of electricity...so don't go poking around in there blindly.

• Members

Whatever you do, be very careful, even unplugged an amps filter caps can store lethal amounts of electricity...so don't go poking around in there blindly.

He's 100% right. Accidentally discharging a capacitor could kill you, so proceed with caution. Perhaps if you were able to get some schematics for your amp, you'd have a good place to start. If you can't find them somewhere online, E-mail Crate, give them your amp's S/N, and ask them for a schematic. I did that for my Crate Vintage Club amp head and they sent me a PDF with the schematics the very next day. Crate's customer support is really stellar :thu:!

Maybe if you posted the schematics on the amp forum, you'd intrigue some of the more knowledgeable folks and they'd have some suggestions for a mod or two :idk:.

• Members

The power stored in capacitors is largely exaggerated here. The amp is a a 12vdc unit with an external power supply. No problem. A capacitor, of the proper type and rating, can store a huge amount of electricity, but most capacitors are used as signal capacitors and don't store enough power to zap an ant.

Even in larger solid state amps this is not and issue. Tube amps are different though. In tube amps high voltage DC is used to operate the tubes and the high voltage source is filtered. In this case, lethal voltage can be stored, but like nearly every warning we receive, it is much exaggerated. It similar to the danger in your wall socket, yes you can be killed, but it would be very rare.

That all being said, I am not sure there is much in the way of modding you could do. Speakers, TAH, suggested, are probably your best bet.

• Members

+ 1 on upgrading the speaker!

The easiest mod to do.

Otherwise, if you want to change capacitors and/or resistors, you need to know exactly what you are doing... and have a oscilloscope to be see what you are doing to the signal.

For some amps, I.E. the Fender blues Jr, there are a lot of mods on the web with schematics. You are right, though... It's much more common for electric guitar players!

Oscilloscope ain't cheap. Unfortunately! Link: http://www.calright.com/pd_728.aspx (Handheld one)

• Members

I wouldn't mess with it. If you don't like the sound, get rid of it and get one you like.

The problem with that is what other acoustic amp has a built-in battery and sounds better?

What I'm wondering is what makes, for example, a Fishman Loudbox or a Roland AC-60 sound better than the Crate Limo? If I have to I'm not afraid to make it a completely different amp on the inside. Plus I think it would be fun. I love to tinker.

• Members

I wouldn't mess with the on-board effects, I don't use them. I prefer pedals because you have a lot more control over the sound.

I would change the instrument jack to be the same as the hi z jack, because my Parker sounds better through the hi z jack (I think its an impedence issue), and that way I can have the guitar and the mic on different channels.

• Members

The problem with that is what other acoustic amp has a built-in battery and sounds better?

What I'm wondering is what makes, for example, a Fishman Loudbox or a Roland AC-60 sound better than the Crate Limo? If I have to I'm not afraid to make it a completely different amp on the inside. Plus I think it would be fun. I love to tinker.

Neither sounds all that much different than the Limo, really...certainly not enough to justify the added expense/losing the DC option.

Getting a great sound from one is just in how you have the controls set.

OTOH, if you just want to tinker w/ something, get a Crate Taxi and add the extra features of a Limo!

My current plans are to buy another Limo, add a much heavier-duty bass speaker and have a 50-watt DC bass amp (Crate did temporarily make such a beast, the Crate "Bus", but they made so few and everyone I've ever met that owns one is hanging on to theirs!)...

Archived