My wife's first new guitar day

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I pulled the trigger on the $200 Takamine A/E deal for my wife. We got the guitar today. Unfortunately I was away when it got delivered so I couldn't see the look on her face.

I got back and heard some loud strumming from the other room. I went into the other room, and she wasn't strumming very hard. The Tak has good unplugged volume. She had got my Alvarez and tuned the Takamine's strings to the Alvarez's by ear. She didn't know what the strings are tuned to so she couldn't use the on-board chromatic tuner. She got tuning dead on.

I got a little bit of time with it. The neck is straight and the action was great right out of the box. Being spruce and maple, I was worried about it sounding too bright and harsh. That was not the case, it is a clear and smooth bright, not harsh at all. And the midrange and bass are good too. It has the body depth of a dreadnought, and they advertise that as giving the tone more depth and resonance. Don't know if that what gives this git its depth and resonance, but its got more of it than most smaller-bodied guitars I've tried. Its got good projection to, which goes well with its unplugged volume.

Plugged in, it sounded good after some tweaking and EQ-ing. It's UST doesn't have the sound definition the UST in my Parker does, but it had a warmer tone to it. Definitely one of the better USTs I've tried. The tuner was accurate too. Not sure what the mid contour button exactly does (yet) but I like what it did for the sound.

Playing wise, it responded well to both strumming and fingerstyle. And the body and neck are small enough for her to play comfortably. One thing I noticed is due to larger lower bout (at least for a smaller-bodied git) combined with the smaller body size, the most comfortable place for the arm was where it doesn't mute the top much.

It is a good guitar all around, and most importantly, she already loves it.

• Members

Looks great -- mine's coming tomorrow! It's actually a gift for my son, but I'm hoping he'll share it with me
:)

I was worried about liking it too much to the point where I didn't want her to have it. :facepalm:

Its a great sounding guitar, but not for me. I prefer warmer sounding guitars.

• Members

What's the model on that Tak? Dread-depth small body sounds like my Yammie FS720S.

Not sure what darkhorse ordered, but it appears to be the same as the one I ordered: Takamine EG5403S-VFT. It's their "NEX" body shape, which is best described as a "mini-jumbo". Slightly larger lower bout (than most "OM" gits such as your FS720S) and dred-depth. My son already has a dred so this should be a great addition. And he's starting to play gigs with his friends, so now he can bring is own axe! :thu:

Edit: Doh! We posted at the same time! :)

• Members

Looks great. She appears to have that Em chord down pretty well. She'll have to cut those fingernails though ....

Happy future jamming!

She already knows E major, Em, Am, and A major.

She didn't want to lose the nails, but I pretty much told her its going have to be either the nails or the guitar.

• Members

Wait till she gets to the C chord and then schedule an appointment with the manicurist.
:evil:

I told her if the kept the nails then she'll be scratching up the fretboard until a nail catches and gets pulled off.

To that she responded, "Why can't I do what Dolly Parton does and do all barre chords?" I responded that's fine if she only wants to play Dolly Parton songs.

• Members

I told her if the kept the nails then she'll be scratching up the fretboard until a nail catches and gets pulled off.

To that she responded, "Why can't I do what Dolly Parton does and do all barre chords?" I responded that's fine if she only wants to play Dolly Parton songs.

:thu: Open tunings. :idea:

Archived