SoCal Heatwave Claims Victim

Fred Fartboski

• Members

Looks like the guitar I've owned the longest, a Guild G37, has fallen victim to the heat wave. A crack in the top from the bottom of the treble side of the bridge to the binding on the lower bout. :cry:

Is this something I should be overly concerned about fixing right away if it doesn't affect the sound?

I've had the guitar since 1984. It's been through a lot including a major repair when it got knocked over in 1992, and the neck and heel separated from the body on the high E side.

The temperature peaked today at 99 degrees inside. Maybe even more, I think the thermometer on the thermostat peaks out at 99. It's 108 outside.

We had another heat wave last month but this one is even hotter.

This is the only guitar I've had out on a stand recently. I'm almost afraid to open the cases of my other guitars. :eek:

• Members

Sorry to hear that.

I doubt the heat had anything to do with the crack. More than likely the lack of humidity or the quick drop in the humidity. Also, since the previous damage was on the same side that may have caused the crack to start but not come through the wood completely.

We hit about 104 today with humidity about 12% and it's supposed to be hotter tomorrow. the last heat wave had much higher humidity here.

As TAH says, get if cleated as soon as you can.

• Members

Sorry to hear that.

I doubt the heat had anything to do with the crack. More than likely the lack of humidity or the quick drop in the humidity. . . .

. . . As TAH says, get if cleated as soon as you can.

^This. And don't wait to check on your other guitars. They may be in better shape from being in cases but ignoring any possible problems won't fix them. Anyway, sorry to hear about your Guild. It'll probably survive though; those old Guilds are hard to kill.

• Members

Had an older Epi (No, not a Masterbilt) with similar damage. Had it fixed, and it actually sounded better than before. Pretty easy fix, but you might want to back off the strings until you can have it dealt with. And watch that humidity.

• Members

Had an older Epi (No, not a Masterbilt) with similar damage. Had it fixed, and it actually sounded better than before. Pretty easy fix, but you might want to back off the strings until you can have it dealt with. And watch that humidity.

Yeah. The Guild actually ended up sounding better after the body/neck separation repair. The top is extensively finish checked from some wild temperature changes when I drove with it across the country in the winter of 1989. Many serious scratches and dings. The finish is worn off the neck in the first position. Still one of my best sounding and playing guitars. Tough old trooper that just seems to get better with age and injury.

Archived