Does your guitar sound different for a given relative humidity?

baldbloke

• Members

Hi,

I recently treated myself to an all solid guitar. Stonebridge Cedar/Rosewood combination. Too good for my clumsy fingers but, what the heck, you only live once.

Being concerned about humidity, I also purchased a digital hygrometer. Pleased to say, so far, humidity ranges from 41% to 61% in the room where I keep the guitar. So I don't think I need worry about problems in that respect Correct me if I'm wrong there, please.

So what's my point? I have noticed that this guitar sounds so much nicer, to my ears, at a low humidity. Circa 41% - 47%. It seems to project more. Still sounds nice above that but seems so much nicer at lower humidity.

Anyone else notice this effect? Or could other subjective factors come in to play?

Or am I wrong and a liar?

• Members

Where I live, I struggle with it everyday. In fact, I'm seriously considering getting a dehumidifier to add to my A/C's ability (or lack thereof) to remove moisture. For a couple months of the year, my guitars sound quite a bit better (we have ultra-high humidity where I live, almost year-round).

Oh and Knockwood, you are nuts, but what does that have to do with this discussion? :)

• Members

For the most part, I think my guitars sound best on the lower end of "safe" humidity levels (40-45%). Michigan was fairly cool this summer, so not much air conditioner dehumidification. RH has been right around 60% for weeks. Most of the guitars sound pretty "soggy". Not intolerantly so by any means, but they sure don't sound the way I like them.

• Members

Absolutely.

My gits sound much, much better at cooler temps and lower humidity. When I lived in Louisiana, the high humidity always made 'em sound like they were stuffed full of socks and swamp mud. On the rare cool, crisp day they were a joy to play.

Still have somewhat high RH here in the PNW, but it's sure not as bad as the semi-tropical Gulf South, so the gits are happier and so am I. :)

• Members

Yep, I've noticed it too.

I've got two dreadnoughts. One is all solid and the other is all laminated. Both of them sound like dynamite at lower RH levels. If I humidify them both, the laminated one seems to suffer the most. I quit humidifying the laminated altogether, and the all solid one I try to keep it just above 40%.

I've noticed the same thing with my violin......but, it doesn't seem to matter to my mando. It sounds good all the time.

We never stop learning, do we?

• Members

Absolutely.

My gits sound much, much better at cooler temps and lower humidity. When I lived in Louisiana, the high humidity always made 'em sound like they were stuffed full of socks and swamp mud. On the rare cool, crisp day they were a joy to play.

Still have somewhat high RH here in the PNW, but it's sure not as bad as the semi-tropical Gulf South, so the gits are happier and so am I.
:)

Exactly. And playing outside makes it worse.

I live on the water in SW Florida, so you can just imagine how humid it is here. In fact, even with the A/C on, with 95% humidity outside, the inside air never gets below 60% humidity. So I REALLY look forward to those (rare) "crisp" days we get between November and March.

In fact, this thread has inspired me... I'm going to do some online shopping for a dehumidifier today :mad:

(any suggestions welcome :thu: )

• Members

Thanks for that folks. I thought it may have been my imagination at first. Nice to know I'm no more nuts than the rest of the forumites on here. :thu:

Sangemon You've got a good ear. It's well known. Wet guitars sound muddier. No doubt.

But...

You still need to STFU, n00b!

:)

So... No need for me to change the bridge pins then?

[Lights touch paper, runs, hides]:facepalm:

• Members

I totally agree with the contention of this thread. One thing I notice, when the humidity is a little high, is a certain "dullness" to the tone, initially. Once I start playing my guitar it begins to liven up a bit. The longer I play, it improves even more, to a point, of course. It's kind of like a car that once it warms up it runs better. It's kind of like me, it gets stiff in the joints. :D

Just my $.02.

RT1

• Members

I had an interesting experience with Humidity...

Gits at a GC in Chicago sounded so much better than gits in a GC here in Houston. Why?

Because, the Chicago GC shut their git room and used humidity control (even for the less expensive guitars). So their gits were at the optimal humidity level. Whereas the Houston GC opens their git room and lets the highly humid air enter.

• Members

Absolutely. But I am wrong and a liar. Two thoughts- 1- The wood is wet and heavy, and so the sound is leaden, and 2- Sound travels better in dry air, and so it seems livlier. Combo of both, probably. On the other hand, banjoes seem to sound better in high humidity. Modern mylar heads are impervious to moisture, and the tone is dependant on a tight fit between the componant parts, so when it's damp the rim swells tight, when it's dry, sounds a little dull.

• Members

Absolutely. But I am wrong and a liar. Two thoughts- 1- The wood is wet and heavy, and so the sound is leaden, and 2- Sound travels better in dry air, and so it seems livlier.

Point 1 might be plausible, although I'd like to have some calculations of the accumulated extra weight because of absorbed damp with that, but is point 2 a fact?

Why would sounds travel better in dry air? I mean this in an informative way, not critical. I'm just curious.

• Members

Can't say. Not a... whatever kind of scientist would know these things. The effect has been noticable though. It could just be that the extra moisture causes the action to rise a bit, and the deadness comes from the guitar being slightly harder to play. Maybe your strings die faster. Dunno, but it happens to mandos, fiddles, basses too.

Archived