Another cover recording: improper use of capo or scraming for autotune?

kwakatak

• Members

Another tune I've been asked to do is Peter Frampton's "(Ooh) Baby I Love Your Way." I know the guitar parts well enough but never knew the words up until recently. Again, the Tak is tuned down a /2 step and this time I'm capo'd at II so it's essentially played in G#.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghLl3SMwQI

There's definitely room for improvement.

• Members

Another tune I've been asked to do is Peter Frampton's "(Ooh) Baby I Love Your Way." I know the guitar parts well enough but never knew the words up until recently. Again, the Tak is tuned down a /2 step and this time I'm capo'd at II so it's essentially played in G#.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ghLl3SMwQI

There's definitely room for improvement.

I liked that better than More Than Words because it fit your voice better. I also liked your guitar sound better.

It's not that Words was bad, I just think Baby I Love Your Way was a better fit.

I also liked Joey running by with his Halloween pumpkin. My little guy is still telling us "Happy Halloween!".

I got a kick out of the videos of Justin and Joey. Good stuff. :thu:

• Members

I liked that better than More Than Words because it fit your voice better. I also liked your guitar sound better.

It's not that Words was bad, I just think Baby I Love Your Way was a better fit.

I also liked Joey running by with his Halloween pumpkin. My little guy is still telling us "Happy Halloween!".

I got a kick out of the videos of Justin and Joey. Good stuff.
:thu:

Really? I hate this one. I also have a 3-take multi-track audio-only recording of me trying to sing harmony vocals of More Than Words and it's downright awful to me.

As for the kiddie movies, I'm adding them so that I can show my friends and relatives who we never see how things are going. Oh - and the pumpkin basket has been out all year, just without candy in it.

• Members

Yep, this one is more you. So, let me ask...it's pushing the limit of your range - which is a good thing to keep doing - 1/2 down and capo'd 1 up. Let me see, that means up 1/2. What are you doing? You'd nail the range without the capo, no? Life just can't get by free. There's always a math problem in there somewhere. Sounded great, Neil.

• Members

Hehe, Joe. No, that's tuned down 1 fret, capoed up 2 which means a net +1. I should just tune the guitar to standard and be done with it, but I'm afraid the bridge'll fly off.

I shoulda said tones. What about the OM, then? That Larrivee can give decently with the easy way you're playing the strings, no? Or, go down a full step on the Tak if it doesn't fret out.

There are some songs I do (This Song Has No Title) where I shove that capo up to the 4th/5th frets to make my range work. That brings the voice down to the comfortable range and pitches the guitar up. This gets away from the guitar competing with the voice when they're similarly pitched. With a dread it just might be a pretty good sound.

• Members

Nicely done. I'm in the camp that thinks this is better than your previous effort, largely because it suits your vocal range better. Not sure about some the vocal acrobatics but that's a very small point and strictly a matter of personal taste. Sorry to hear you don't like singing with the Larriv

• Members
Nicely done. I'm in the camp that thinks this is better than your previous effort, largely because it suits your vocal range better. Not sure about some the vocal acrobatics but that's a very small point and strictly a matter of personal taste. Sorry to hear you don't like singing with the Larriv

Archived