Adevntures in GAS.

kwakatak

• Members

By agreeing to do that gig on Friday night I had built it up in my mind that I need a new and better dread. The only real way to do it in my mind was to take what I got and compare it with some models that have caught my interest.

Here's what I got: a 1973 "Martin lawsuit" Takamine made with a laminated spruce top, laminated rosewood back & sides, 3-piece mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard and bridge, bone nut and saddle, upgraded Gotoh tuners, a JLD Bridge Doctor. That's the good. The bad is that the top looks like a beaver's been at it, there's a gap under the lower bout/treble side X-brace, the neck joint has been reinforced by a block under the fretboard extension instead of a true reset (killing the sustain of the guitar IMO), the JLD was installed to reattach a lifting bridge but I ended up cracking it when I drilled through it.

Here's what want: a guitar that can handle flatpicking and strumming played at any intensity, form light to heavy with anything from a bare pick to a thick wooden pick. Here's what I've been able to directly compare my beater with:

Martin HD-35. See Martin's website for specs, but essentially it's all-solid wood and lightly-braced. In fact, it

• Members

I hav'nt found a D-18 that I liked, not new. I imagine the guitar got it's reputation somewhere, but it's not in the newer one's I've tried. The D-18V is another story as it's got some vintage features. I bought one and like it a lot. Plenty of bass and warm mids, good treble, too.

Hope that D-16GT works out, Kwak.

• Members

Hey Neil, I hate to tell you, and I'm sure you already know, but the HD-35 has white boltaron binding too, all the way around (check avatar). It's the one thing I don't really care for on this guitar, but I can live with it because the damn thing sounds so damn good.

• Members

Neil,

You need to check out the Guitar Center / Musicians Friend Martin.

I think it's call the MMV or something like that.

It's all solid with rosewood and it looks nicer and sounds better than any of the other Martin dreads under $2000.

I think they go for $1200.

• Members

Yeah, the D-16GT certainly does look like the strongest contender. And yeah, the white boltaron on the HD-35 does kinda rub me the wrong way but for some reason it REALLY looks bad on a satin finish. It kinda pops in gloss though.

I'm really thinking that hog or sapele might be more for me this time though. Beelieve it or not but the Martin ain't a lock though. I've yet to A/B my beloved beater against a Larriv

• Members

Lately I'm considering a J45, yes the acursed Gibson! There are to

many Guitars and not enought green stuff. Its hard to pick the perfect guitar.

That's why you simply drop back and punt. We can't always get what we want but if you look around you can get what you need. Hey, there's a song in there somewhere,LOL.

I'd find the High End, expensive, never can afford it guitar and see what clones are being made of it and play them. One of em' just might be close enough and priced right enough for you to get it.

If you like the Gibson J45 then give the Epi AJ500 a look. Sometimes all you're paying extra for is the name on the headstock.

• Members

Lately I'm considering a J45, yes the acursed Gibson! There are to

many Guitars and not enought green stuff. Its hard to pick the perfect guitar.

Meh. Try an Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M or AJ-500R. You may have to try several to find a good one, but they give the big boys a run for their money. They're much different in tone that Martin, Taylor or Larriv

• Members

My only hesitancy on the Epiphone is the number of cracked guitars I've seen since their introduction. I haven't seen any examples of cracked ones in the last year, though.

That's a huge reason why I'm hesitant to get an all solid wood guitar. While I don't abuse my guitars I also don't baby em' by watching humidity and stuff. I think the laminated back and sides with a solid top would just hold up better for me and my "lack of care" that I give my guitars.

There are so many Korean and even China built guitars that are starting to be made as well as many of the Japan and American built guitars anymore and for quite a bit less money. That's why I said to find the style/type you like then look at some of the clones, you never know what'll pop up.

• Members

Neil,

You need to check out the Guitar Center / Musicians Friend Martin.

I think it's call the MMV or something like that.

It's all solid with rosewood and it looks nicer and sounds better than any of the other Martin dreads under $2000.

I think they go for $1200.

+1. The MMV is a fine guitar! Have you tried the HD-16R LSH (large sound hole)? I got one this summer and really enjoy its full, rich sound.

• Members

Frank, I hate to break it to you but the reason why we all worry about humidity is not because the back & sides are solid, it's because the top is solid. We also worry about the fretboard shrinking and getting our fingers shredded on protruding fret ends.

IMO the only real benefit to having laminated back & sides is that they won't crack if you bang the guitar off something. You still have to worry about dings and scratches. Excessive heat is also something that doesn't target the wood so much as it targets the wood glue. Believe me. My plywood Tak gets banged around regularly but the thing that nearly killed it was some really hot summers. Keep your gits in the shade.

Good luck with your Morgan Monroe, but believe me that watching humidity is not a big deal. Buy a jug of distilled water, a couple of ziplock bags and a couple of sponges. Dampen the sponges slightly so they're not dripping wet, put them in the bags and then seal them in the case with the guitar. 20% humidity is not good for ANY guitar. I do it with my Tak and make damn sure I do it with my Larrivee. I admit it was a hassle having a room humidifier going 24/7 a couple of years back, but having kids pretty much solved the whole "should I leave my guitars out?" problem. Now my only regret is not being able to play them as much - but then perhaps that what I should be doing now?

• Members

+1. The MMV is a fine guitar! Have you tried the HD-16R LSH (large sound hole)? I got one this summer and really enjoy its full, rich sound.

Meh. I don't care about the whole rosewood thing anymore, really. It's actually falling out of favor with me and I'm finding that bracing is more important. That's why I really like the HD-35. If it were about rosewood only I'd be totally satisfied with a Yamaha LL16. Their rosewood line is so much nicer-looking than Martin's offerings, just as Larriv

• Members

I don't think we get as low as 20% here in Tennessee. We DO get in the 90% range during summer when it rains a lot but low humidity isn't an issue at all. In fact right now we're at 83% so drying out isn't going to happen. I guess keeping an eye on humidity would be a good idea but sometimes I won't play my guitar for a month or more so it just sits in the case. Other times I'll have it out for 2 or 3 hours at a time 4 or 5 times a week. Just depends on my mood and what else I've got going on.

• Members

I don't think we get as low as 20% here in Tennessee. We DO get in the 90% range during summer when it rains a lot but low humidity isn't an issue at all. In fact right now we're at 83% so drying out isn't going to happen. I guess keeping an eye on humidity would be a good idea but sometimes I won't play my guitar for a month or more so it just sits in the case. Other times I'll have it out for 2 or 3 hours at a time 4 or 5 times a week. Just depends on my mood and what else I've got going on.

Are you talking about the RH you see on the local weather report or the actual humidity inside your house? If you have a forced-air central heating system then it sucks the moisture out of the air. Believe me. rule of thumb is if your hands get dry then it's too dry for your guitars too.

• Members

Yes, RH and NO we don't have central heat. Gas wall heater and from what I understand gas flame heat actually helps to keep moisture in the air because of the water vapor in the Natural Gas. I guess I do need to watch the Humidity. Maybe I'll try and get a humidity level gauge(forget the actual name right now) to keep an eye on it. Still, I've never had an issue with any of my other guitars so it must be ok. Also, Steve at the shop where I bought the MM says he doesn't worry too much about humidity either, just to get the guitar too hot.

• Members

Yeah, I've heard about those 2 models. The LSH intrigues me. I don't know if I mentioned it or not but they also had a D-21 Special there that I'm afraid to pick up anymore. It looks close enough to my F-360 from a distance that maybe it'd fool my wife for a while until I paid it off!

D21SP_front.jpg

th_IMG_1044.jpg

What's that honey? Uh, no that's not a new guitar. I just bought a new pickguard and open-back tuners for it and steamed out the dings. :evil:

Archived