pick guard removal?

george black

• Members

you can remove them by heating them (gently) with a hairdryer and teasing them up slowly. If you've had the guitar for a while you'll most probably find a pickguard-shaped tan line though. Pickguards affecting tone? ... maybe if it was screwed to the soundboard and made of breezeblock shavings it just might.

• Members

The jury appears to be out on the question of whether pick guards affect tone. Some say they do, others say not. Personally, I'm a strummer so I'm of the opinion that even if a pickguard does affect tone--and I'm not convinced one does--it's worth it.

• Members

Most pickguards these days are self adhesive and placed on the finish. Unlike Andy's D-18's, which would have been glued to the wood and finished over. Taking a pickguard off most new guitars is no prob. Just follow Rickoshea's instructions, take your time, maybe warm it a bit with a hair dryer (take it easy though). If the guitar is new, the tan lne won't b pronounced, and will blend with the rest of the finish over time. Took one off a cedar top a few years ago, and no sign of tan line anymore. And no, I don't think a pickguard has a big effect on the sound.

• Members

Is there a reason one would want to remove it? Appearance?

EG

If you fingerpick exclusively a P/G serves no purpose. Being in the tightest (least vibrating) part of the top it's presence is of no perceptible concern. But, if you think it's aesthetically detracting then you'll be wanting it off. I have 3 guitars and only one has a guard and it's clear. I have a guitar on order and my spec sheet clearly reads nfpg. They look great on Martins, though.

• Members

My dreads and the 12 strings have pickguards and they are appropriate on those larger guitars. The 00-18 didn't have one when I bought it and I took the PGs off of my 000-15S and my Taylor. I never use a pick on those guitars so the PGs were unnecessary and the smaller guitars look much better without them. A friend of mine has a 00-18 just like mine with a PG and after seeing it I'm glad mine doesn't have one. She ordered her guitar with a PG because she's a strummer and uses a pick.

• Members

Depends on the finish as well. Some guitars come with a finish that is much more resistant to damage from a pick.

Taylor includes pickguards on its acoustic/electric line only for tradition sake, as they feel the UV finish is durable enough to stand up without. They do not include a pickguard on the acoustic line.

• Members

I also was thinking of changing my pick guard for another

where the one on now is black plastic which is the same as the

black plastic Bridge but my guess is if i changed that pickguard

(For appearance only)

then id have to change the Bridge also which is a bigger problem eh

Archived