Isaac Guillory -- Sixteen Tons

Stackabones

• Members

Very good. Nice arrangement. I grew up listening to the Tennessee Ernie Ford version but this holds its own. Great guitar playing. And no, I'm not familiar with him either.

The classic! Yeah, I'm partial to Merle Travis doing it -- but I thought Guillory found some interesting places to take his own arrangement.

• Members

First time I've heard of him. How about you?

I know he's no longer with us, but it doesn't mean he still can't be with us.

Isaac is/was of Cuban extraction; lived for a while here in the North-East of England. He recorded for the same (obscure) Indie Label (Folkland, based in London) as me and we did a couple of Label-sponsored tours together, along with another NE UK guy called Ray Stubbs (reckoned to be one of the finest British exponents of American Blues - Google Ray Stubbs' Amazing One-man Blues band).

Ike was also a member of Elkie Brooks' backing band in the Late 60s/Early 70s

For more on Isaac see: www.isaacguillory.com

• Members

Thanks for the link! As label mates, did you ever meet or play shows together?

Here's an
that gives an overview of his life. Remarkable man.

Yeah like I said in my Original Post, we did a couple of label-sponsored Tours (Scotland & Nth Yorks) and as we lived in roughly the same area ran across each other quite a lot in folk clubs, festivals etc.

Ike was not not only a superb musician & singer, but was also a very witty guy, with a fund of anecdotes and jokes and is sorely missed - He never came across as "Big-time" and is certainly a miss on the local music scene.

Archived