Once a guitar top is cracked, is that it?

geek_usa

• Members

I have a wonderful (and I mean wonderfully awesome) Yamaha FG720SCA. Right from the factory everything was superb and I had a minor set-up adjustment about a year ago. It almost never goes out of tune (unless I foolishly forgetfully leave it in a cold car, then I have to retune the e and b strings only about 20 hz or so) and has near perfect intonation, about 98% across the whole board.

I honestly have never owned a more forgiving and rewarding acoustic guitar.

H

o

w

e

v

e

r....

being the lazy butt I am, I never really read up on humidity issues. I suppose that's why many of my guitars like to go out of tune now and then. A nice healthy crack developed from the bottom of the guitar to the bridge. It's a finish crack but it looks pretty deep. I just purchased a very expensive Japanese Strat and I'm re-thinking my humidity problems :D but for this acoustic, is there anything I can do? At this point it's clearly cosmetic and it had not affected the playability or sound one bit (from what I personally can tell). Any tips for the future?

Thanks my fellow flat pickers!

• Members

"A nice healthy crack developed from the bottom of the guitar to the bridge. It's a finish crack but it looks pretty deep."

Well, if it is indeed a finish crack, and not a wood crack, it was likely not caused by a humidity issue. It was probably caused by leaving the guitar in a cold car, and then bringing into a warm room and opening the case too quickly.

Just the opinions of your friendly neighborhood troll.

• Members

"A nice healthy crack developed from the bottom of the guitar to the bridge. I
t's a finish crack but it looks pretty deep
."

Well, if it is indeed a finish crack, and not a wood crack, it was likely not caused by a humidity issue. It was probably caused by leaving the guitar in a cold car, and then bringing into a warm room and opening the case too quickly.

Just the opinions of your friendly neighborhood troll.

Very true if it's a finish crack/check, but it's seemingly deep appearance tends to indicate a soundboard crack. Hard to tell without pic's.

• Members

I have a wonderful (and I mean wonderfully awesome)...I honestly have never owned a more forgiving and rewarding acoustic guitar.

H

o

w

e

v

e

r....A nice healthy crack developed from the bottom of the guitar to the bridge. It's a finish crack but it looks pretty deep. I just purchased a very expensive Japanese Strat and I'm re-thinking my humidity problems
:D
but for this acoustic, is there anything I can do? At this point it's clearly cosmetic and it had not affected the playability or sound one bit (from what I personally can tell). Any tips for the future?

Thanks my fellow flat pickers!

No. A soundboard crack does not end the guitar. Far from it.

The best guitar I've ever owned or played, my sunburst

Guild F65ce has a crack from the soundhole to the bridge.

It had that crack when I bought it. Seller disclosed it.

I still jumped at it. It's the guitar of my dreams.

The crack, BTW was repaired beautifully. It's no longer

a crack, in fact.

If you love the guitar - a crack in the top can normally be repaired.

Cherish it & take care of it.

f65ellis2.JPG

Archived