Who makes the Mitchel guitars for MF?

RKO

• Members

Several of our brethren and sistren here have spoken highly of this guitar. Who makes them? And for those who may know, have you ever seen an 000 size? I searched MF and don't see one.

• Members

I saw a OM style at GC the other day.

Mel

I saw one too at GC. It was okay.

But I was really impressed of their travel guitar. Solid spruce top, abalone rossette, gloss, sounds as good as Baby Taylor for half the price.

• Members

My guess is Cort.

Cort makes their Parkwood line.

Good point, but why wouldn't they just label them as Parkwoods? Is that their upscale brand?

FWIW, Cort has factories in Korea and China. Samick is in Korea, China, and Indonesia. Grand Reward is the big Chinese-only factory, and I'm pretty sure all of the Mitchells are MIC.

Supposedly, Saga uses Grand Reward.

• Members

Good point, but why wouldn't they just label them as Parkwoods? Is that their upscale brand?

FWIW, Cort has factories in Korea and China. Samick is in Korea, China, and Indonesia. Grand Reward is the big Chinese-only factory, and I'm pretty sure all of the Mitchells are MIC.

Supposedly, Saga uses Grand Reward.

Parkwood is their budget, solid tone wood line.

I'm pretty sure Parkwood came out after the Mitchell line.

It seems like Mitchell guitars are aimed at a different market segment than Parkwood. I may be wrong.

• Members

I think they come from different manufacturers. The only thing these guitars have in common is the Mitchel label.

The Lucero classical guitars used to be Mitchel. Somebody in the Marketing department must have wised-up and suggested they use a Spanish-sounding name.

• Members

Parkwood is their budget, solid tone wood line.

I'm pretty sure Parkwood came out after the Mitchell line.

It seems like Mitchell guitars are aimed at a different market segment than Parkwood. I may be wrong.

Parkwood is--and has always been--a division of Cort. The reason you only see them at GC in the US is that GC has the exclusive distributorship. Go to Canada or Europe and you'll find Parkwood in various music stores.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Mitchell guitars?! Yea, right! Those and other brands are the ones I pass by at GC on the way to the back room to play the "real" guitars. However, I am always keeping an eye for the perfect $350-$500 diamond-in-the-rough. And during the past four years I have purchased 200+ a/e guitars - just say there are some winners in this range. Well, today I picked up a Mitchell T413BST guitar in my GC mainly for it's beveled armrest. I did a 15-min comparison with a Taylor 214ce dlx. This Mitchell has scalloped bracing, 24.75" scale, armrest, and torrified spruce top. for under $500. I bought it and it sits in my studio next to my Martins and Taylors, proudly!

Archived