VOM 29 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, June 13, 2010

Stackabones

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Absentee Postings

Melodeous Comments:

First recorded piece in a long time. Feels good to be getting back to it. Goodall RCJC with a K&K PWM and D'Addario .013s through a Fender Acoustasonic to an H4. Yea, it's all done wrong but what the hell.

Absentee Post from:
Melodeous

Title:
Storm Surge

Credits:
Original

Oldskool_Texas Comments:

A cautionary tale of giving up too much for the sake of a relationship.

Absentee Post from:
Oldskool_Texas

Title:
Perfect Lover

Credits:
Tom Watterson

garthman Comments:

When I first learned this song - many years ago - I read a nice little story (some of which may or may not be true) concerning it's history.

Many of the traditional songs we enjoy today were collected during the early part of the 20th century by Cecil James Sharp (who in 1911 formed the English Folk Dance and Song Society which is still going strong today). The story went that when he was collecting songs in the north of England the singer said she vaguely remembered her mother singing a song called 'My Dearest Dear' but she could not recall the words or tune so Sharp registered it as 'lost' (this is the part that may not be true). A few years later Sharp and his collaborator Muad Karpeles visited the Appalachian mountains and there they discovered the song still being sung by the ancestors of people who had emigrated from England (this part is true).

From the language and style of the lyrics I would estimate the song dates from the mid 18th century. I have taken the liberty of modernizing the song a little by (mostly) converting the 2nd person singular (thou, thine) to the 2nd person plural (you, your, etc.)

Recorded in one take with Audacity via my computer microphone.

Absentee Post from:
garthman

Title:
My Dearest Dear

Credits:
Traditional

Absentee Post from: tbryson

Title: Not like any woman

Credits: tbryson

tbryson Comments:

This is an old style blues kinda thing that I played 3 diff guitar parts on with fills and it may sound a little mucked up but not all that bad I hope. A Taylor 214 with 2 condensor mics seprated for the main track then added parts of a A scale that I stuck over that trying to learn how to do that.

Not like any woman

Verse

She

• Members

Another absentee posting

chriscarnucci Comments:

This song is about first things...and last things. Every word of this song is true!

The Best of My Life -- Christian Carnucci

Verse 1:

A Sunday morning rendezvous,

was the first time I lain eye's on you,

and the last time that my heart was mine.

Verse 2:

Through a windshield I first saw you smile,

when you picked me up from that airplane ride,

and the last thing that was on my mind...

Verse 3:

Was the first date that I had with you,

was the last first date I would ever do,

and the first day of the best of my life.

Chorus:

The best of my life begins and ends with you.

It started the day you let me in.

The best of my life put an end to feeling blue,

and started a lifetime of me loving you.

Verse 4:

Now it's been six years since you said I do,

and my oh my how time has flew,

and every day brings something new.

Verse 5:

Well it started with just a little note,

a silly little thing that I once wrote.

A lame attempt to change your mind.

Verse 6:

And somehow it got through to you,

and heaven above only knew,

that so began the best of my life.

Repeat Chorus:

Bridge:

And as the years go by,

I think that I,

just might be the luckiest man alive.

Repeat Chorus:

Absentee Post from:
chriscarnucci

Title:
The Best of My Life

Credits:
Christian Carnucci

• Members

[YOUTUBE]ZO9I2W3_LcA[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9I2W3_LcA

Original tune.

Old Crow

Five little children

Sitting in a room

Watch for old crow

He'll be round soon

Keep the curtains closed

Don't open that door

Or five little children

Will soon be four

Don't say I didn't warn you

Don't say I left you out

The old crow will getcha

If you don't watch out

Four little children

Sitting in a kitchen

Won't mind nothing

And just won't listen

Two get up to leave

And one follows, too

Think about old crow

Coming after you

One little child

Lost her golden toy

So much sadness

Out of so much joy

Hide those shiny things

Lock them in your chest

Old crow will steal them

To use in his nest

Uke chords, F Bb C

Guitar chords capo 5, C F G

• Members

Good evening. Sugarcane: American People. Collaboration with Bart Branstetter. The song is a millenia-long journey of a bloodline...from the Great Heathen army to cracks-in-the-dirt Texas. American People is the long ago name of a previous collaboration with Bart and a couple of others. Pre-Hypnotist Collectors. Hope all the VOM people are good.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=908060&songID=9247674

Sugarcane: American People

lost blood almost every week

left our general dead in the creek

took an arrow in the eye

saw Jesus before he died

he was gone, gone, gone

yeah, he was gone, gone, gone

working sails on an irish boat

regardless he was always broke

jumped off in montreal

heard the great plains call

he was gone, gone, gone

yeah, he was gone, he was gone

indians tracked his tracks

the dirt was soft and black

paid 'em off with sugarcane

went to texas on a cattle train

he was gone, gone, gone

yeah, he was gone, gone, gone

planted cotten, wheat, and corn

lived his life near where he was born

always broke a smile

knew he only had a while

he was gone, gone, gone

he was gone, he was gone

a7

d7

a7

d7

g d7 a7

g d7 a7

• Members

It was suggested that I should try this VOM thing even though I am a noob. So here I am. :)

I tried to record a few pieces tonight. None of them turned out great. This was one of the worst -- I present it here unedited. :)

My attempt at Dave Van Ronk's Green Rocky Road in dropped-D on a Larrivee Parlor.

I kept screwing it up, so I started singing quietly to get my timing back. I ended the song in a blaze of glory by singing the alphabet song. Enjoy!

http://www.box.net/shared/z5xnj53nby

• Members

It was suggested that I should try this VOM thing even though I am a noob. So here I am.
:)

I tried to record a few pieces tonight. None of them turned out great. This was one of the worst -- I present it here unedited.
:)

My attempt at Dave Van Ronk's
Green Rocky Road
in dropped-D on a Larrivee Parlor.

I kept screwing it up, so I started singing quietly to get my timing back. I ended the song in a blaze of glory by singing the alphabet song. Enjoy!

http://www.box.net/shared/z5xnj53nby

Welcome aboard! Thanks for giving us a chance. ;):wave:

The blaze of glory is fantastic! You're getting a nice sound out of that parlor.

• Members

Lol...

Ok, here is my submission;

Be Bop A Lula by Gene Vincent.

I remember that I had come home from my last final exam one year, sometime around 1992, I think, full of nervous energy. I got the urge to record something, so I wrote up a basic 4 bar loop on my drum machine, and did this in about an hour. Recorded on a Tascam Portastudio 424; my old Norman B30, bass guitar, drum machine and double-tracked vocals. Recorded through a Radio Shack microphone. I came across this the other day, and transferred it to digital, added some reverb (probably too much, lol), and that's it. I never got around to the second lead guitar, unfortunately. Not sure if I have all the words right (no interwebs then) and it is at the edge of my vocal range. This was inspired by McCartney's version on his 'Unplugged' album. It's fun, has good energy. Hope you enjoy!

Cheers,

Glenn

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=Glenn_F/Be_Bop_A_Lula.mp3

• Members

New drop-D piece written this week - in pretty solid draft. Fingering is quite unusual in spots (at least for me), so still not quite under the fingers. Have a tab (pdf/gp6) if anyone wants to give it go.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9269841

As for the recorded tone.. i used my j-45 w/ matrix infinity into pod x3 & picked a default 'acoustic' preset which in hindsight had too much chorus. in reaper I recorded both the wet & dry track. on the dry track i used podfarm to mix in another signal with compression/eq/delay (no chorus) - this track is the strongest in the mix.

edit: a vid of the tune made after VOM ...

[YOUTUBE]0OGkwp9oLOg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Another Tommy Emmanuel piece in this VOM's lineup:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=901761&songID=9241819

"Stay Close to Me"

It's an interpretation, not a copy, of the original. And includes a couple of flubs at the end which I covered up pretty well. :D

Played on a Brian Cohen classical guitar, the design of which is inspired by Julian Bream's 1940 Hauser.

• Members

Looks like the VOM is already off to a quality start! Here's my little contribution:

Title: Pork and Beans

Originally By: Weezer

[YOUTUBE]7N_GBjVRxB8[/YOUTUBE]

This song is first single off of Weezer's 2008 "Red Album." Like many a Weezer song, the basics are simple and straight forward... which is why I think I enjoy figuring out their tunes.

Anyways, I briefly attempted to try singing along with this tune. After quickly realizing that it was going to never sound decent, I opted to record an instrumental "vocal" track instead. The video actually has three 1-take tracks in it: The main rhythm and two "vocal" tracks to give the "singing" a bit more depth... You'll probably hear a few flubs if you listen closely ;)

I hope someone enjoys it!

• Members

Song: South City Midnight Lady

Artist: Doobie Brothers

Ok, here's my submission to the VOM this month. I want to thank maplebbay who regularily posts in the lesson loft forum. He had posted a youtube video lesson of how to play this song that I found. I've always wanted to learn this song and thanks to maplebbay, now I have. It's a little rough, but I was anxious to record it and submit it to the VOM.

http://vom.infocusreviews.com/index.php?p=play&id=phoniclab/South_City_Midnight_Lady.mp3

• Members

Greetings

Another month and another VOM.

My submission this month is a song from my first CD 'Forgotten Walls' titled Angels Rise. This is one of my favorite songs to play and always get's a good response. True to the spirit of VOM this was a one shot take, well after a couple of false starts, brain farts and lots of cussing.

Enjoy

Tony

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Looks like I've got my software issues pretty much routed out.

This is Mississippi John Hurt's Corina Corina. Audio captured on a Zoom H4 (built in mics). Ran the audio through Sonar 7 to bring the level up a little, mated it to the video using quicktime pro. I kept getting pops in the audio when flown into QT, but somehow it smoothed itself out in the exported file (could have saved hours right there...)

KPd0_572rFU

• Members

Melodius - Love this piece. SOunds really crisp and articulate.

Oldskool_Texas - Love this one. I always look forward to your recordings. Especially like the back up vocals. Great guitar solo as well.

tbryson - Good tune, kind of a stone and eagles vibe going on there... "Angie checks into the Hotel California..."

chriscarnucci - Hi Chris, love this tune man. One of my favorites this time around. I have one kind of like that about meeting my wife when I had nothing. Great vocals on this one too.

Stackabones - Love it. You are the king of the Uke. Sounds like a tune that has been around for generations. You can write a hook as good as anyone. I still catch my catch myself singing about my toaster being too short because of you.

Hypcollector - Love the keyboards on this one. Great lyrics, on this one.

Extollo - Great tune, lov e the alternating bass, classic ragtime also reminds me of some of the French Tangos.

• Members

Melodeous is back!!...wow...very intense song...great original.

Old school... Great vocal and backup voxs...pretty song and playing.

gathman...Nice work. Good singing and playing of old trad style song.

MM...Really good song.

Fendouglas...Very cool song. You sang it great!!

BHH...Great singing...a bit to much reverb or effects on the voxs but your singing was perfect for this song...fit you well.

Chris c...Beautiful song.

Stack...Nice mouth kazoo!!

gitnoob...your getting it!!!...I gotta try that sometime...nice work!!

• Members

Well thanks for all the nice comments everyone. I do appreciate your support and encouragement.

BTW, incase any one was wondering, my wife did approve the video before I posted it on Youtube. Even the last picture. :)

So far this was a great VOM with so much talent showing through! Everyone really did an outstanding job!

So here are my comments, hope I didn't miss anyone. And I'll catch the latter entries....well...later :).

Melodeous

Archived